Tgtack

Help with K91 throttle linkage

Tgtack

Need some help setting up the throttle linkage on a K91 engine. I know how to adjust the governor arm on the governor shaft. I need help with the spring loaded linkage.

Right now, the governor arm has the throttle wide open no matter whether the throttle lever is closed or open. Going to full open just increases thee tension on the governor arm. Non running engine.

I am under the assumption, that when you close the throttle lever, that the butterfly on the carb should go closed even with the engine not running.

On the K91, there is a disc with holes in it that the throttle wire and one leg of the governor spring goes into. It also has a separate lever arm that has the throttle cable clamp on it. Both of these can be adjusted by loosening the governor shaft bushing nut.

So, is the carb butterfly suppossed to go closed on a non running engine when the throttle lever is closed?

If so, any advice adjusting the disc and the arm so that it will function correctly? Pictures would likely help of one setup correctly.

Thanks.

Attached are pics of mine and factory diagram. Image on left shows the drive pin, throttle bracket, speed control disc, retaining nut.

20170723_094013.jpg

governor.JPG.4769ee431c0611426b38eb57515fe241.JPG

Sarge

Most of the governors hold the throttle open when the engine isn't running due to the governor's fly weights being held closed by the springs . Once the engine starts , the inertia against the weights will wind the governor shut so it can work properly .

Sarge

rdeanrj58

I was always under the impression that the governor held the throttle closed when the engine was not running.  This can be changed by which way the disc is rotated when the clamp is tightened down for the throttle cable.   Maybe I've been setting mine up wrong? 

• Like 1

Tgtack
1 hour ago, rdeanrj58 said:

I was always under the impression that the governor held the throttle closed when the engine was not running.  This can be changed by which way the disc is rotated when the clamp is tightened down for the throttle cable.   Maybe I've been setting mine up wrong? 

I have figured out that mine is rotated too far so that when you open the throttle even a little to start, there is so much tension, that the butterfly is wide open. It apprently floods the engine and no start. Hold the governor arm so butterfly is only half open, and it starts right up. I need to rotate the disc to take some of the preload off so it is not full open all the time.

Sarge

Download the K series single cylinder engine manual - the governor settings for initial adjustment start on page 52....

Sarge

• Like 1

Tgtack
45 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Download the K series single cylinder engine manual - the governor settings for initial adjustment start on page 52....

Sarge

I have the manuals, I know how to adjust the governor arm on the shaft. It is the goofy "disc" that apparently needs adjustment, and not quite sure of the relationship between the disc and position of the throttle cable mounting bracket. I think loosening the shaft bushing nut and rotating the disc CW will reduce the preload on the governor arm allowing the throttle butterfly to be closed when throttle lever is in a low speed position.

It just works different than all my larger Kohler engines.

gwest_ca

The governor tries to lower the rpm.

The throttle cable tries to increase rpm.

The link between the throttle cable and governor is the spring.

The higher the rpm the more pressure there is on the governor to reduce rpm.

The throttle cable needs to apply enough pressure through the spring to overcome the governor pressure to get the desired rpm.

The disc should be free to rotate.

The throttle bracket is all that the nut should lock in place. This allows the throttle cable to come from any direction.

See if the description in this manual makes more sense - Section 5

Garry

rdeanrj58

Thanks that manual helps s lot.  It says to remove drive pin and then says nothing about it later.   What is it for and is it needed ? 

• Like 1

Tgtack
35 minutes ago, rdeanrj58 said:

Thanks that manual helps s lot.  It says to remove drive pin and then says nothing about it later.   What is it for and is it needed ? 

Not sure what that pin is either. I know the problem on mine is that the speed disc is rotated to far CCW putting too much tension on the governor arm which is holding the carb butterfly wide open. I need to disconnect the throttle wire, and rotate the disc CW enough for the butterfly to closed when engine is off. Just so the weight of the governor arm closes it. Then adjust the mounting bracket and throttle wire to give full range. Keep in mind that rotating the throttle bracket will change the setting, but also where the cable clamp is placed on the outter jacket of the throttle wire. Would still like to know function of the "pin", and also the tab you see on some of the images of the speed disc. Looks to be a maximum speed stop, probably to contact the throttle wire mounting bracket.

gwest_ca

Have never worked on one of these but a guess would be something to do with an application where there is no remote throttle like on a generator. Does the pin join the bracket to the disc? That way the desired rpm could be adjusted and locked by tightening the nut.

Garry

Sarge

That tab is indeed the governed throttle limit and how you set the maximum rpm for the engine .

Been a very long time since I've worked on a K91 , at least 20yrs so I'm pretty rusty - but do remember the settings seem to work differently . The balance between the link spring from the governor's disc to the linkage arm is how the engine can open the throttle when rpms drop under a varying load - your throttle cable just sets a "range" of sorts and the rest is balanced by that spring . The limit tab is there to keep things in check so it doesn't hold at wide open throttle and wind up until it blows...

Sarge

Walleye

The governor is supposed to hold the throttle in the wide open position when the engine is not running. That's normal. Don't sweat it.

rdeanrj58

Still working on the governor . Thanks for all the info .  I set it up so the governor holds the throttle open when engine is off.  It started right up and took some throttle fine but then after running at partial throttle the governor arm opened up quickly and the engine died . Could I possibly have something wrong internally ?