TexasJohn

Suburban 551 transmission help

TexasJohn

Hi, I'm new to the forum and WH tractors. Picked up a 1961 suburban 551, no motor. Installed a 5.5 Honda and ran good for a day. Had drained tranny water with fluid. Now it's stuck in 3rd and locked down. Shifter moves but will not free up. Any help?

stevasaurus

It's hard to say what you have going on here, but this is where to start.  Lift up the shifter boot and loosen the lock nut and allen head screw 1/8" wrench.  Pull out the shifter and see where the forks are.  If you are in 3rd, the back fork will to the right.  The other fork (which does 1st and rev) could be in one of those gears...thus locking up your trans.  Take a heavy screw driver and align both forks to form a square...that will put the trans in neutral.  If that was your problem, it is fixed and you can replace the shifter.  You need to be sure to come to a complete stop before shifting and shift slowly.  The shift rails in these early transmissions form a suction and can sometimes suck back into gear so you are in 2 gears at the same time.

If that is not the problem, let us know.  You may have to open up the trans.  Not hard to do, and we have plenty of help with videos on how to do it.  Your transmission should be a Wheel Horse #5007.  It is the same as a #5025...check in the reference section (transmissions) for some threads and videos.  :)

BTW...welcome to Red Square.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

TexasJohn

Thanks, that's good information, will give it a try. Would like to overhaul the transmission in the future as it seems most if not all parts are available.

stevasaurus

This thread is of a 4 speed, dang near the same as yours.  Check it out, it should help you a ton.  :)

• Like 1

TexasJohn

That's awesome! Thanks so much. When the heat index drops to under 100 degrees outside I going to tinker with the transmission and check the shift fork(s) position. After your comments I remember I was rolling and tried to shift from 2 to 3rd when it locked up.

• Like 1

TexasJohn

I'm back up and running, turns out the shifter was not down in the proper position. No lock nut and the set screw/pen had backed out so it was not in correct position to manipulate the shift forks. She is a little rough looking now but slowly making progress. Doesn't seem to be many early WH in Texas. Seen two at tractor shows over the years.

IMG_0998.JPG

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Excellent...these machines are pretty simple and easy to work on.  I like your horse.  Thank you for the picture.  I know Texas is a big state, but we do have a few great members down there, maybe you are close enough to meet them some day.  :)  It's always a good day when we can help somebody get a horse running again...enjoy the site and the people here.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Welcome @texasjohn. I'm in Marble Falls and pass through Bastrop frequently visiting family in LaGrange  There are usually a few horses at the Fredericksburg and the Temple tractor shows. The member map will show you where a few other Texas members are. I have a horse similar to yours in pieces but progress is very slow

• Like 2

TexasJohn

Thanks for the information, will take a look at the members map. What a great source of information for a tractor addict such as I.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

@texasjohn where did you find the suburbanite 

TexasJohn

Found it on letgo. Nice lady in Phulgerville posted it as old lawn mower used for yard decoration $80.00. I looked over it several times then zoomed in and identified it as a WH. She said they had moved from Michigan and brought it.

IMG_0878.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That is a diamond in the ruff...especially in Texas.  Those foot rests may be worth that down there.  :)

• Like 1

TexasJohn

It's exciting to me, fun to work and play on.  The 551 doesn't seem to have been produced in great numbers like some of the earlier models.

• Like 1

TexasJohn

I don't find any reproduction belt guards to cover motor to transmission. Anyone know of a source?

AMC RULES

Search Ebay "wheel horse RJ"...

you'll see this belt guard there.

s-l1600.jpg.111d2be83fbf572de9e9428ac104401e.jpg

Contact the seller there...

ask him for the correct guard for your machine.

• Like 1

TexasJohn

Thank you AMC Rules!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Same guy that sells them here...

& priced the same too.    :greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

When you order a belt guard tell him it is for a 1961 Suburban. 

The 58-59 RJ guard is as pictured above

The 1960 Suburban guard has a vertical rib for reinforcement in the middle.

The 1961Suburban guard has a vertical and horizontal rib (makes a + sign) for reinforcement in the middle.

• Like 2

TexasJohn

Thanks, I will include the year and model.