littleredrider

Building a grader blade

littleredrider

Looking for plans ideas parts for a grader blade. Had the snow plow on, but can only do so much. Usually it digs in too much and makes it worse than when first started. I got my welder working nice, (only after owning it for 4-5 years) and once I find materials, want to build one. I searched the web, but thanks to photobucket can't look at any pics. I think the pull type would work better, but I'll take whatever.

WVHillbilly520H

Here's the one dad built 30+/- years ago and I just fixed a couple months ago, if you're interested in this style I'll you some measurements, it's basically a "copy" of the Brinly rear blade buy probably heavier duty, last pics was how dad originally built it before running it over with my Kioti last winter, Jeff.

IMAG3283.jpg

IMAG3282.jpg

IMAG3284.jpg

IMAG3282.jpg

IMAG3281.jpg

Screenshot_20170406-190751.png

IMAG3138.jpg

IMAG3136.jpg

• Like 4

littleredrider

It gave me some ideas!!! One thing I couldn't picture was the mount for the blade. Since it's not the same a snow plow the mounts and bracing is little different. But I like the idea on yours...

• Like 1

chris sutton

Koen beat me to it, I was just going to give you the link.

Hope its helpful to ya

• Like 1

Lee1977

Here is one I built a few years ago. I cut a 5' road grader blade down to 4'. The pivot pin is a 7/8" king pin from a Ford truck. The frame is 2" channel with a short piece of 4" channel between. A 2"x2"x1/4" angle attaches to the blade.

SAM_0635.jpg

SAM_0130.jpg

SAM_0235.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

If you zoom in on the clevis hitch in the second pic in my above post you'll notice there are extra holes drilled , they are for tilting like a road grader to pull side ditches, a little something extra the mid mount and front blade can't do plus the 2 pieces of flat iron on the back are for adding weight such as a cinder block ect, if you don't have the rear clevis hitch I'm sure it could be fabbed to hitch into the dozer/tiller hitch but you would still need the rock shaft and lift cable to raise and lower, I'll try to get a pic of it mounted to the 520, Jeff.

Sarge

I plan to basically build the same style for the big D with an old road grader blade that has it's outside ends worn down . Cut those off , build a sub frame to hook into the rear axle's brackets for the 54" front blade and use the center lift to control it . There is also the option of just buying one of the 1055 cutting edges in an 8" version , some are over 1" thick so it would be pretty stout and are available up to 72" wide - vendors on the big auction site have them all the time . I used a 60" piece of pre-beveled 1055 1/2"x60 cutting edge to repair the worn out 54" blade for the D - works excellent and in some cases too well , lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Here's the Cub Cadet style which is a rare find, Jeff.

32020366916.jpg