Walhonding520

520h "surging?"

ericj

for about $ 20.00 you can buy the new parts above and replace them. I replace them most of the time when I get a new to me tractor. especially if it was a non runner.

eric j

• Like 2

Walhonding520

So the rubber seal on the tank shutoff valve was torn and around the bottom of the screen in the tank. Also, the screen was folded and pinched at the bottom. Am I correct in assuming that this would cause my symptoms? Also, where is best place to buy a new valve and rubber seal?

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Walhonding520 said:

So the rubber seal on the tank shutoff valve was torn and around the bottom of the screen in the tank. Also, the screen was folded and pinched at the bottom. Am I correct in assuming that this would cause my symptoms? Also, where is best place to buy a new valve and rubber seal?

I'm sure it didn't help with the surging and replacing it after 20+ years should just be part of preventive maintenance, the one I pictured above is on eBay under WH fuel shut off valve, Jeff.

• Like 1

Walhonding520

That helped nothing. Surging is actually worse now and I'm running out of options. I might just have to take it to someone with more ability then me.thanks to all who responded at gave suggestions 

daveoman1966

Is the INTAKE MANIFOLD leaking at gaskets ? ? ? ?

WVHillbilly520H

One more little diagnostics tip with it running (warmed up preferred) spray some carb cleaner around the base of the carb and intake manifold, if the rpms speed up then you have carb to manifold gasket ,manifold gasket head leak or worse the 2 piece manifold seal has let go, if the rpms don't speed then not any of the above apply and it only cost you a little more time and a little more carb cleaner, Jeff.

WVHillbilly520H

BTW my Anniversary 520H did this even removing the carb top multiple times for cleaning and changing filter and fuel line to carb, until I removed it completely tore it down and soaked the main body and related metal parts in a can of "Gunk" carb cleaner (Walmart/Advance Auto ect) for a day or two then used compressed air and a can spray carb cleaner through the every orfice I could find/see and installing a new carb and accelerator pump kit before putting it all back together, solved mine but...Jeff.

1460657.jpg

1460658.jpg

Nikki6100AccelPump-springball.jpg

Nikki6100TopOff.jpg

Walhonding520

I guess I'll try taking it apart and cleaning it one more time. I haven't seen any leaking around the intake. For a while it was running much better so I guess it just plugged up again and needs another cleaning.

I did take the fuel pump apart and it seems clean. Back together and there is plenty of fuel running through the fuel filter.

SadieCoonhound
On 7/23/2017 at 8:50 AM, lynnmor said:

Look at the last photo above.  Down near the bottom of the carb you will see a welch plug, make sure it is still there.  I have had one fall out and it gave the same symptoms you described.

As always, check the compression first thing.

It may be a good idea to just pull the exhaust, intake, carb, and valve covers and do it right.  The exhaust can then be painted, the valves adjusted, the intake checked for sealing and the carb cleaned thoroughly.  Intake gaskets, especially cheap ones, can get sucked in causing similar problems, so use real Onan gaskets there.

The only thing that seemed to cure the surging on my 520h was doing what lynnmor is suggesting. Take the carb completely off the engine, take it apart and soak it overnight, etc. 

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, Walhonding520 said:

I guess I'll try taking it apart and cleaning it one more time. I haven't seen any leaking around the intake. For a while it was running much better so I guess it just plugged up again and needs another cleaning.

I did take the fuel pump apart and it seems clean. Back together and there is plenty of fuel running through the fuel filter.

Those Onan fuel pumps aren't rebuildable and the OE aren't cheap, I get them off eBay 2/$20 cheap insurance when it finally won't pump anymore usually from a pin hole in the diaphragm, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170815-045348.png

Walhonding520

Thanks. I think I'll get it soaking tonight. I have been doing some searching for a cheaper option of fuel pump. I found a Briggs option but will buy what you have there hillbilly. Will most pumps of that size work anyway?

WVHillbilly520H
35 minutes ago, Walhonding520 said:

Thanks. I think I'll get it soaking tonight. I have been doing some searching for a cheaper option of fuel pump. I found a Briggs option but will buy what you have there hillbilly. Will most pumps of that size work anyway?

Yes, I had one of those "round" Briggs style pumps on mine for quite sometime because I couldn't bring myself to pay $80+ for the OE Onan, then found those and have been pleased so far, Jeff.

cleat

I am using the same ones.

They actually seem to have better check valves than the original one.

Just watch and be careful when removing a fuel line from it as they are very brittle and break easily.

Cleat

Walhonding520

Ok. While running sprayed carb cleaner around one of the seals on what I think is the intake manifold. It stops surging for a second then starts again. Repeat and it stops for a second and starts again. There is seems to be air blowing out as well when I spray cleaner. Is this the bad seal referenced above. Form what you said above this doesn't seem like a simple or cheap thing? It's in the front cylinder.

IMG_2573.JPG

lynnmor

See my post on 7/23/17, and quit swimming upstream.

Walhonding520

Thanks. You sound like my wife. Sometimes I get fixed on one thing lol. I see you recommend Onan gaskets. Best place to get them?

ericj
2 hours ago, Walhonding520 said:

Thanks. You sound like my wife. Sometimes I get fixed on one thing lol. I see you recommend Onan gaskets. Best place to get them?

onanparts.com

eric j

Searcher60

You could have disconnected the plug wires, removed the fuel hose from the carb and stick it in an empty water bottle. Crank engine and see if bottle fills with gas. Surging on a 520 is usually running lean. Something clogged in carb. Not always. 

Edited by Searcher60

Walhonding520

Just ordered intake gaskets. Hope to have repair complete next week when they arrive. Replacing fuel pump too just because.

Walhonding520

Intake and exhaust gaskets replaced. One was bad. Still surging. Carb has been soaked. Would the top gasket on the carb be bad right above the choke? Could this be a cause?

WVHillbilly520H

See my post #32 above carb kit from Onan parts.com ,if you're soaking the carb it needs a kit and maybe the accelerator pump replaced as well, but also with what I said earlier use the carb spray to help narrow down diagnose vacuum/gasket leaks, I believe the accelerator pump was only on 94/95 and newer models.

Walhonding520

I have noticed it doesn't surge if I have been mowing for an hour. I'm assuming that heat has caused something to expand and seal wherever the leak is. Does this sound right?

cleat
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

See my post #32 above carb kit from Onan parts.com ,if you're soaking the carb it needs a kit and maybe the accelerator pump replaced as well, but also with what I said earlier use the carb spray to help narrow down diagnose vacuum/gasket leaks, I believe the accelerator pump was only on 94/95 and newer models.

Never seen one on any of mine.

Searcher60

If you pull the choke out slightly does the surging stop? Can you find a sweet spot with the choke where the surging stops? Maybe you got a governor issue?

WVHillbilly520H
8 hours ago, cleat said:

Never seen one on any of mine.

96 and newer then my Anniversary is actually by serial number a 97 but it definitely has the accelerator pump