Truckie

Need help adding electric starter to 502

Truckie

My son just got a 502 to restore and he wants it to have an electric starter.  Can anyone walk me through what parts I need, part numbers, and best place to get them?

Thanks,

Tom

20170722_160709.jpg

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Truckie :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

pfrederi

question is there a ring gear on the flywheel???

Edited by pfrederi

Truckie

I guess I'm interested in whichever method is easiest/cheapest.  I'll have to check on the flywheel.  The engine cover looks like it is set up for a starter so i assumed it had a ring gear, but I'll have to check.

pfrederi

If there is a ring gear and a bump put in the shroud for the bendix then adding electric start is easy.  I did it on my L-107.  All you would need is a starter motor a solenoid and a switch.  That is what i have, no charging system, but the engine needs no external power to run so I can go 2-3 months then put the battery on a charger over night and am good for another 2-3 months.  I use it frequently, 2-3 times per week all year long.  I you want a charging system it gets more complicated  (and I think it is unnecessary).  You have to find a new stator and probably a new flywheel with appropriate magnets then some sort of rectifier.  Tecumseh used and unregulated charging system with some diodes.  

Truckie

Took the engine cover off and unfortunately there isn't a ring gear on the flywheel.  

pfrederi
53 minutes ago, Truckie said:

Took the engine cover off and unfortunately there isn't a ring gear on the flywheel.  

What model engine # are we dealing with here?  I may be able to figure out what newer flywheels might interchange

Truckie

The engine cover says H60-75040B.  Is the block marked anywhere with a model or serial number so I can be sure it is an H60?  I was thinking that the 502 was supposed to have an H55.

pfrederi

I do not know of any for sure ID by stamping on the block, sorry.  However if you pull the head measure the stroke (how far down the piston is).  if it is 2-1/2 inch it is an H60. If it is less than that say  2-1/4" then it is probably an H50.  If it is an H60 getting a flywheel with a ring gear won't be too hard.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Truckie

Ok, so let's assume it's a H60.  Where would be the best place to find the flywheel I need?

oldredrider

I've got the flywheel you need (several in fact). Has the ring gear, removed from H60 Tecumsehs. 

Send me a PM if you haven't found one already.

• Like 1