DarrellF

Oil Sandwich adapters for Cooling Hydro and Engine oils

DarrellF

Just bought a D200 in great shape wanted to do some mods for cooling hydro and engine oils

Ive used sandwich adapters on motor home and to install transmission coolers and engine coolers 

with new gauges, Seems to me would not be a problem to install on transmission of tractor from what I've read filters are 3/4 unf 16 thread

anyone ever done this before? Also easy way to install temp gauge,oil pressure gauges any gauge ya wanted plus external cooling.

Edited by DarrellF
  • Like 1

"D"- Man

Wheel Horse equipped some of the "D" - Series with a hydro cooling fan and thermostat.IMG_20160419_224558085.thumb.jpg.7c9da6b96c37da28081cfce919e47907.jpg

• Like 1

DarrellF

Mine must be missing that fan hmmm well I still think I'll throw a cooler on both the tranny and the engine, plus I might ad an external oil filter to the hydro. Dirt and heat are the worst things I can think of to destroy both of them.

but that fan was a good idea in 1975 going to be using Stewart warner mechanical gauges, hope all works out.

WHX??

:WRS: Darrell. Put ip some pictures of your work. Would be interesting.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@DarrellF :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I think your idea of an external cooler for oils on our Wheel Horse tractors is a very good idea!

40 years ago, my grandpa was going to be pulling a travel trailer so he wanted an additional transmission oil cooler added to his truck. He decided that the local garage could install it quicker/better than he could so he took it to them. As they were mounting the auxiliary trans cooler, they drilled right through his radiator! He said, "I could have done that"!

I guess the moral of the story is......."Be careful"!

• Like 3

Sarge

I've considered doing the same thing on my D , but have yet to figure out where to put a cooler that it can't get damaged either by it's own implements or when doing work with it . I might put an industrial duty 92mm dual fan in the dash panel next to the hydraulic control levers/valves if there is room to help force more air across the main hydro pump - that is where the heat is created . Not sure how they ever fitted the cooling fan with an easy ride seat/spring kit on them , sure doesn't seem like enough room for anything in there - running the new rear light wiring and fuel lines was bad enough , lol . My D will creep it's heat up over time and heavy work , never had it into the red yet but it's been right at the high end of what I'd accept running 10W30 oil in that pump - cooling is a good thing although you can really go too far...running it too cold can cause damage too .

Sarge

• Like 1

DarrellF

Thanks for the welcome guys I'll try to get some pic or vids up as I get it worked out.

im not going to rush this I have been a diesel mechanic and fabricator for many years as well I always have tried my best to make things strong and as dependable as can be obtained. Good planning makes a job ez bad planning creates to many problems.

My father taught me if your going to do something do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

I want to keep all my projects clean and not take away from the machines look unless needed 😇

Also a few other projects will be power steering,foot control pedals for forward and reverse,and maybe building a fel. Forgot this turning radius as well takes 10 acreas to turn the beast, and it steers like a b61 Mack with a 6 inch steering wheel lol

any ideas will be great 👍 

Thanks again Darrell

Oh Sarge I'm thinking out protection for the coolers and they will be themostat controlled to maintain the proper temps 🙂

Edited by DarrellF
  • Like 2

"D"- Man
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I've considered doing the same thing on my D , but have yet to figure out where to put a cooler that it can't get damaged either by it's own implements or when doing work with it . I might put an industrial duty 92mm dual fan in the dash panel next to the hydraulic control levers/valves if there is room to help force more air across the main hydro pump - that is where the heat is created . Not sure how they ever fitted the cooling fan with an easy ride seat/spring kit on them , sure doesn't seem like enough room for anything in there - running the new rear light wiring and fuel lines was bad enough , lol . My D will creep it's heat up over time and heavy work , never had it into the red yet but it's been right at the high end of what I'd accept running 10W30 oil in that pump - cooling is a good thing although you can really go too far...running it too cold can cause damage too .

Sarge

"Not sure how they ever fitted the cooling fan with an easy ride seat/spring kit on them , sure doesn't seem like enough room... "  They didn't; the easy ride seat models were not able to be fitted with the hydro cooling fan, only the subsequent models were.

• Like 2

Sarge

Well , that makes a lot of sense , then - I could see no way to put that baby steel fan in there as the fuel lines and wiring barely fit as it is now ....lol .

I'd be careful about using a thermostatic valve on the transmission - you could starve the charge pump unless you can figure out a bypass to keep it flowing through the filter . Hayden makes a thermostatic control for their electric fan kits for automotive use - I plan to add one epoxied to the Sundstrand pump and let the adjustable thermostat turn the electric fan on/off to cool the pump when necessary . If I can stuff the fan into the vertical dash support panel next to the hydraulic valves it should blow across the pump nicely and help provide some better air flow inside that tunnel , sort of a bad design for pump cooling as it only gets turbulent air flow going past into the engine's flywheel fan . Hopefully , the electric fan can sort of "force feed" both the pump and the engine...

Perhaps the cooler could utilize the same air path if installed below the pump but above the cross rods for the center lift arms . If it's a typical sandwich type - looks to me like a shorter filter would be necessary as well...?

Sarge

• Like 1

DarrellF

Oils Sandwich will only add 1 inch as you will be able to put 2 gauges on it like temp and pressure.
If I add and extra oil filter I can also add 2 gauges to it, in the cool side of the cooler I can measure the temp and pressure after it has been cooled.
So with the way I'm going to set it up I could measure either side and pressure and temp either side your choice.
Also I can have a bypass 2 places if wanted.

As for air flow I have been going to do a smoke test to see the flow of air, This will help me determine where the cooler or coolers will go.
Seeing they can be push-pull this will help.
I was thinking about a battery move, to free all cooling space underneath as above, I don't want to add hot air with hot air. I want to pull or push hot air away from any components and exhaust it into free air. I'll have to draw a diagram maybe to explain it better showing all ways of heat flow, and possibility's to protect coolers and parts from damage. Looking into a battery Placement in an encased box, to also free space as well make a control systems to add things such as an external alternator to power more things etc. Still in the Planing stages :) but Ive been thinking it out to utilize space placement aesthetics and all room for Power Steering either Hydraulic or Electric, Foot Pedal control forward and reverse, More pump placements, valves lines,reserve hydro tank, reserve oil tank for added capacity for anything added to oil system or  hydraulics as well as functionality. I don't want to miss a trick on this, to many options to place parts that will interfere with anything I decide to do. See where I'm going, I'm thinking way ahead in case I want to make a 6 way front blade or for addons, also thinking of Fel and many other improvement that have to be planed in advance which could include to many things to list at the moment :) But I'm going to have to measure all possible ideas and leave room for things all at once which is the way I plan. :)
Battery Placement only has one good Place Hmmm Behind the seat Above the 3 point on the wheel horse decal Hmmm
WOW Brains Hurting LOL

Edited by DarrellF

Sarge

The biggest problem with changes to a D is the lack of space and possible interference with things like the pto shaft , ect...just not a lot of room due to it's design .

Sarge

DarrellF

I agree 100 Percent