obone

Plug Wire

obone

Guys,

I was wondering if someone could direct me to where I can get a good somewhat cheap spark plug wire (high tension lead) part number 238057. It's for a K241S. The Toro one says 50 bucks and one from the auto store is only 16, but is 60 inches long. Thanks!

Big_Red_Fred

But are they 953Nut Approved ? LOL he sent me a nice pair ;-)

Electro12WH

Treat yourself to something nice! The Brillman Co. sells braided plug wire for a buck and a half a foot. Add some Raja clips. 

https://brillman.com/

• Like 1

obone

Yeah, but how good are the make your own compared to the premade?

DarrellF

Make your own is always better Because I try to make my own anything possible then I know its right.

Electro12WH

Back in the day, (never thought I'd say that) Packard 440 wire and Raja clips was as good as it got. For a few bucks, you can test it out and tell us what you think.

ebinmaine
On 7/21/2017 at 5:34 PM, squonk said:

Napa:

734803 metallic wire  @  $.50 a foot

727006 90 deg plug terminal @ $.50 ea

727303  coil nipple @  $ .70 ea.

727003  coil termina l@   $ .50 ea

727402 Plug boot   @ $2.50 ea. 

Will these numbers work for My 75 B80?

I need a decent quality plug wire...

• Like 1

squonk

Yes they will. I keep those items in my tool box. Need a wire at a show,out it comes and in 5 min we have a plug wire. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Yes they will. I keep those items in my tool box. Need a wire at a show,out it comes and in 5 min we have a plug wire. 

Sweet. Thanks for the fast response!

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Never made a plug wire... Obviously I need to slide the coil boot on before I crimp that end but what about the plug end?

Looks like it could be done before or after. What's easier?

Thanks.

squonk

Strip the wire about 3/4" Spray silicone into the plug boot and on the last few inches of the wire. Slide the boot on and then fold the bare wire over and crimp on the plug terminal. Then pull the wire so the plug terminal slides into the boot. I use a phillips screwdriver to line up the terminal and seat it into the " 90" of the boot.

• Like 5

tunahead72

Hey @ebinmaine, thanks for getting this thread going again, I've been curious about this recently.  I'm no expert, and I've never made my own spark plug wires either, but I do have a couple of thoughts:

First, there's "genuine" new Kohler spark plug wires (same part number 238057, or 238057-S) on eBay for about $35 with shipping.  These are sometimes advertised as kits, and it looks like you need to put them together and crimp the ends like @squonk describes.

Another option comes from Kirk Engines (kirkengines.com), which has an 18" long plug wire that "fits virtually all single and twin-cylinder Kohler and Onan engine applications", for $12 with shipping.  I've never dealt with Kirk's, but others here speak highly of them.  The wire is described as "highest quality", and it looks like it's a complete assembly, no further assembly required.

@squonk, you might be able to make a little extra pocket change if you were willing to make up some of these wires at the Big Show next year.  If you could keep the price reasonable, I'd buy one from you, but I would want to be able to watch the assembly process, just to learn how.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, tunahead72 said:

watch the assembly process, just to learn how.

I'll try to remember :text-coolphotos:

squonk

Ed, I can make up a wire and post pics. Give me a few days. :banana-wrench:

Just keep @elcamino/wheelhorse at bay so I'm not laughing through the process. :)

Edited by squonk
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

tunahead72

Excellent Mike, thanks.  I'll do what I can to keep Jim distracted, but YOU DID JUST SEND HIM A NOTICE THAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON THIS.  As near as I can tell he's only about 8 hours away from you, he could be at your front door by dinnertime today.

So @elcamino/wheelhorse, how's the weather down there?

• Haha 3

ebinmaine

@tunahead72, you're welcome.... I had to order a couple of the parts and I should see them later today or tomorrow morning.

8 hours ago, squonk said:

I can make up a wire and post pics

I'd appreciate that too

• Like 1

doc724

Stens 135-178, $14.70, Bought it for my C125

image.png

• Like 1

Sarge

I can make just about any plug wire you want - in any color and boot configuration . Even have the nicer old Belden wire crimper here that Dad left me when he passed . I used to just buy a roll of high quality Belden or Packard cable and an assortment of high temperature ends and make my own for all my engines including the cars/trucks . I'll have to do some digging and see if I still have that big box of assorted heavy duty wire ends somewhere around here....hard telling where too .

Sarge

squonk

@tunahead72 Here's the wire making process:

I needed to make one for my C-160 anyway! :) Sorry for some blurry pics. My phone wouldn't focus on a couple of them for some reason

The special crimp tool.  It has a cutter, stripper, 7 & 8MM pre-crimp slot and 7 and 8 *MM final crimp slot. On the end is a 90 deg distributor crimp slot.

5a04d4b1cf348_wire002.JPG.7b47d044d4000a4849bc3fdfb58f8b3f.JPG

5a04d52aa3b1e_wire012.JPG.57f5cf8f086138064fd7d36b01714eb2.JPG

The parts laid out. the clip on the bottom is a coil terminal used on some older engines. I haven't run across one of these in years but I keep one just to have.:banana-wrench:

5a04d4b720ea9_wire003.JPG.00d11667a645b3856c4ab40462b89f24.JPG

first cut the wire to length.

5a04d4c0dab30_wire004.JPG.ae133ebed96f9d54207621764747d08c.JPG

Strip ends.

5a04d4ddf0ddb_wire005.JPG.11901886f55412d48d7a32632ceed65b.JPG

5a04d4ea58e12_wire006.JPG.590bc7ebdc9e6d962467d76bccea6a46.JPG

silicone the wire and slide the boots on5a04d4f6f3f2f_wire007.JPG.239a1341570bb1e164376560cba0d657.JPG

Fold the wire over

5a04d4feed763_wire008.JPG.2db81da1a0e8830716a1a7236ce56b12.JPG

Slide the terminal on the wire making sure the bare wire is opposite the crimp. Put it in the "Pre Crimp slot.5a04d5157b3c5_wire010.JPG.30260824e4e16899d4fd7d6ed65211d4.JPG

End pre-crimped

5a04d51e4f836_wire011.JPG.e49a36c3071531e78375f284f60b2c99.JPG

final crimp5a04d53f81256_wire013.JPG.8579ec58484b1d581f649a4676a5f664.JPG

Same process for the plug end. After crimping I give the boot and wire a good shot of silicone and pulled the wire into the boot. This one slide right in and I didn't have to give it any help to align and seat it.

5a04d549daedf_wire014.JPG.3355149cb4d5c0385a017368277f5da5.JPG

wire 009.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@tunahead72 , @squonk I seemed to have missed this thread with my name taken in vain. One the weather has been rainy and cool for most of the week. Skonk I hope you did not laugh while taking pictures , I did. Did you take photo lessons from @Big_Red_Fred ?

Where is @stevasaurusor his thin twin Steve on a stick ? Mike I think you should present a class on creating a plug wire at the Big Show, while sleeping on the bench :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Did you take photo lessons from @Big_Red_Fred ?

I wasn't wondering if there was peanut butter on the lense... really. I wasn't.

:ROTF:

I hope someday I'll make a trip out to the mid-west to meet you folks...

33 minutes ago, squonk said:

Here's the wire making process:

Thanks for posting this !!

Sooo... "food grade" silicone?? Hmmm.... Tasty?:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk

I work on kitchen equipment and it's on the truck. Plus it isn't as smelly as regular silicone.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, squonk said:

Plus it isn't as smelly as regular silicone.

Too bad no-one makes food grade spray paint.

• Haha 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@tunahead72 , @squonk I seemed to have missed this thread with my name taken in vain. One the weather has been rainy and cool for most of the week. Skonk I hope you did not laugh while taking pictures , I did. Did you take photo lessons from @Big_Red_Fred ?

Where is @stevasaurusor his thin twin Steve on a stick ? Mike I think you should present a class on creating a plug wire at the Big Show, while sleeping on the bench :ROTF:

Jim, thank you so much for NOT including me in that infamous grouping!      :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4