Michigandog

3 speed 604 wheelhorse

Michigandog

I have a 604 tractor with a 3 speed trans, that I'm rebuilding..   I've already replaced the axles, input shaft, and third gear, but also noticed that the reverse idler gear is bad.  So I replaced that too.  I also noticed that the cluster gear is worn on two gears, and after thinking about it I want to replace it too.  Only problem is that I can't find one...   There is one on ebay for a 312-8 and the part number for that model is 7269, and the part number for the 604 is 3525...  My question is, will the cluster gear on a 312-8 tractor with a part number 7269.  Interchange with the 3525 cluster gear on a 604 tractor???    Any help would be highly appreciated...

oliver2-44

@stevasaurus might be able to answer that question.

• Like 1

JPWH

If you post what you need in the classifieds someone may have what your looking for.

Racinbob

No, they won't interchange. One shouldn't be too hard to find though. I'll check to see if I have one later today. :)

• Like 3

Racinbob

I had a little plumbing job to do today. I told my wife I'd only have the water off about an hour. Well.......six hours and three trips to Lowes later I got it back on :angry-banghead:

Finally it was time to go 3525 cluster gear hunting. I've got two of them. They are both usable but do have some wear. Check them out and see if they are better than what you have. :)

59724e236cfbf_Clustergear3525.jpg.21d561ad37146f7b58c8eaa8e11d1a37.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

The one on the right looks pretty good Bob!!    :)

• Like 1

Michigandog
On July 21, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Racinbob said:

I had a little plumbing job to do today. I told my wife I'd only have the water off about an hour. Well.......six hours and three trips to Lowes later I got it back on :angry-banghead:

Finally it was time to go 3525 cluster gear hunting. I've got two of them. They are both usable but do have some wear. Check them out and see if they are better than what you have. :)

59724e236cfbf_Clustergear3525.jpg.21d561ad37146f7b58c8eaa8e11d1a37.jpg

The one on the left looks pretty much what I have, the on one the right looks good.   I have one coming from ebay, if it doesn't work I will buy yours...

Racinbob

Just a suggestion since you have it apart. Check your shifter rails. If the three detents are the same depth I would scrounge up some later rails that have a deeper neutral detent. Install those as well as a 3/4" stop pin in lieu of the 11/16" that you'd have if all the detents were identical.

5975ef3727194_Shifterrails1.JPG.45a647b007cc79ec4e2bebe8574f0709.JPG

Later on they went to rails with the detents going all the way around the rail. Those would work as well. :)

• Excellent 1