WHX??

7-1311 Sickel Bar

WHX??

So this started out as a joke on my things you see on CL thread. I wanted to score the tractor for the nice high back but then thought other wise when I found out it didn't have arm rests & wasn't a power seat. :lol: 

00b0b_5udejnyJyFy_600x450.jpg

Here's the write up

1969 Raider 12 lawn tractor. 12 hp Koehler engine. Motor runs well. The shifter came out of the transmission so it does not go into gear. The one tire does not hold air in the back. The package deal comes with a mower deck, plow, wheel weights, tire chains, soft side cab, sickle mower which need repaired and a Ariens 2 stage snow blower that has been modified to fit the wheel horse. Great tractor for someone who wants a project to fix up. Asking $700 or best offer for the whole package. Will post more picture soon if I part it out I will be asking more for individual pieces so buy it now at the package price.

Guess I should have read the ad more careful other than wondering if the seat reclined.....note the sickle mower??

@Achto points it out whilst we are laughing about the seat!  

So I give the guy a quick call and he sends me some pics... whoa I says to self, that might be worth checking out even tho it's all in basket.

So the next day I go check it out and come home with this.

20170719_190035[1].jpg

Resized952017071895192027[1].jpg

Edited by WHX11
add
  • Like 9

WHX??

Note the broken weldment.... the only thing wrong and should be fairly easy to repro. Couple of tight idlers and no grass bar but again horse play.

Bonus.... front attachamatic and a bolt & washer for a deck blade :woohoo: :lol: ...extra pully too?!?!? Jeepers cats just noticed the front axle pin in my pic... another bonus.

Gotta love it when implements come in a plastic tote of parts!

Extra blade ... broke but fixable and worth the extra cutters.

20170720_062456[1].jpg

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 7

Achto

A little time in the machine shop & we'll have that thing working like new. I wonder if that will fit on any of your round nose tractors?

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

WHX??

Manual says for long frames, 1968 or better vintage,  Dan :( probably could be adapted.

• Like 1

WHX??
58 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

who wants a project to fix up

Oh by the way tractor was a real fixer upper too ... motor doesn't run, push blade looked like a v plow, both tires on the opposite side unusable, and the sno mover  looked like a franken blower. I went to put it in gear and the shifter came off in my hand! I educated him on dog points, even reset it for him and he gimme a little more off on the bar! Was a nice guy but a liiiitleee high on his tractor pricing. :) Had what..700 on his ad but 600 on a piece of tape on the tractor. Think he could have been talked down abit?!?!

Also Dan made the suggestion of printing off the IPL and make sure the major stuff was all there. Excellent idea Dan for a sickle mower :teasing-newbie: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 1

JayB

Looks like you got a winner.  I have a similar unit and the Weld met broke, welded and broke again.  I have a second one and another member who is a machinist is about to make a reproduction.  Also could you do me a favor and give me the dimensions for the rod used to lift the unit.  Interested in the two long length measurements and the angle they are set at.  I see the configuration otherwise.  That would be helpful in that I do not have that part.

thanks

if you can just drop a note on email to

billygoat5248@aol.com. 

Edited by JayB
  • Like 1

WHX??

I'll see what  I can do Jay. I was happy to see that in the box as well as the travel rod. A almost 50 yo attachment has a way of losing parts over the decades. Should be easy to make. Seems the weldment was a weak spot in the design. When you look at the stress on that part it's no wonder.I had thought about welding and re machining but scrapped that idea when Achto said he would take a crack at making a new one. After further cleaning the only parts it appears I will need are the bottom bronze bearing and the two oil seals. @Shynon forwarded me some notes from @dclarke on these and are very helpful. Let us know if you might find them useful.

20170719_191047.jpg

The biggest problem I see is getting another tractor to permanently put it on!:lol:

• Like 2

JayB

Thanks. I had not searched for bushings so if you have info that would be great. I found the bottom seal thru the RepairClinic in

Canton Michigan. I look forward to getting the dimensions for the rod. 

Achto
11 hours ago, WHX11 said:

Achto said he would take a crack at making a new one.

After looking the part over I found that some one had put a Helicoil in the threaded hole. Instead of just making a new shaft and welding it in, I'm probably going to remake the entire part.

• Like 1

WHX??
12 hours ago, Achto said:

a Helicoil in the threaded hole.

I hadn't noticed that either Dan, this is what's in the manual.

Note: It is very important that this

pin and jam nut be kept tight. Looseness can destroy

the threads in the drive arm.

Achto
35 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

Note: It is very important that this

pin and jam nut be kept tight. Looseness can destroy

the threads in the drive arm.

Apparently some one didn't read that part.:( 

• Like 1

WHX??

Here you go @JayB angle looks to be in the neighborhood of 140 degrees 

20170723_092430[1].jpg

20170723_092520[1].jpg

20170723_092352[1].jpg

The side facing the camera is the 6" length.

Also here is part  @dclarke's notes on it. This is for an SMS-425 but most of the part numbers are the same. Might want to double check. Save the pic to your desktop and zoom in for a better look.

2017072095161353[1].jpg

never mind my lousy pics just go here

Edited by WHX11
add
  • Like 1

WHX??

If someone could throw up a pic & measurements  of the 2685  grass rod I need to make one of those. The SMS looks to use a 5597 grass rod ?:confusion-shrug:

Went looking for the lower seal on a :text-google: search and found this right here. The amount of help right here on RS never ceases to amaze me!

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 1

Achto

@WHX11 I grabbed a pic to show the Helicoil repair that was done.

IMG_20170724_121432206.jpg.421fb2013cb93a62a2b80fbb547d8997.jpg

• Like 1

Shynon

@wheelhorseman in the vendors section also makes the travel hook, lift rod and grass rod if you are unable to make them

• Like 2

WHX??

Thanks Tom never fails to amaze me on what all he has.  I never tried to thread the pin in there Dan it was all disassembled in the box. Maybe we should check the fitment and if it's ok Loctite it in there. Save the time of making the whole part?

Shynon
3 hours ago, WHX11 said:

Maybe we should check the fitment and if it's ok Loctite it in there. Save the time of making the whole part?

Make It now or make it later, I don't think Loctite will hold up. You'll understand the first time you start the mower. :twocents-02cents:

WHX??

Advice taken Tom. As a newbie sickle mower owner who as never operated  one. @Racinbob says only operate one at 1/4 throttle or so I can believe that. Hopefully all that have will chime in, like you, in with more expertice. If I am not mistaken @Lane Ranger has a few Habans and  can offer experience on these usefull but can be dangerous attachments. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'm glad you tagged me Jim. I didn't see this thread until you did. Useful and potentially dangerous are certainly correct. When you first witness how easily they bite off branches as big as your fingers you'll realize the care you must take. They don't take much horsepower so WOT isn't needed. Rev it up too high and it will shake you off the seat. I had mine on a dedicated round hood with a K-181 because they are a pain to mount. I don't remember the model but it was a Frankenhorse i put together mostly from spare parts I had. 90% of the use I got out of it was with the bar held at a 45 degree angle by a chain from the steering tower to an eyebolt on the bar. I would trim the briars growing into the paths in the woods that way. I didn't miss that in Florida but I sure do now. I just mowed them a couple days ago and had to do the side saddle thing to save my life. Looks like it hand trimmer time :(

I can't do much to help you out here but it looks like the guys are getting you fixed up. I can say you'll want a stout weight on the left rear and I don't need to tell you to keep your fingers back. :)

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

I had one Haban for a short while and I can say it is a far superior attachment as a working sickle bar mower to the Wheel Horse version.   The real weakness is the wobble box on the Wheel Horse sickle bar.   30 weight oil has to coat and cool the  many moving (and different directions) parts in the box that moves the cutting blade back and forth.  When you are using the Wheel Horse version you have to be real careful for objects in the ground.   The Wheel Horse version only can cut  in a few degrees from the ground the shoe on the end rides on or short lifts.   The Haban can cut at 120 degrees up and down.    It has angles gear boxes with direct drive shafts.-it really is the Caddillac of sickle bar mowers for a garden tractor.  I sold mine to D.J. Harrison  (HCMINNIS on Red Square).   

• Like 2

Shynon

Here you go Jim

• Like 4

Racinbob
12 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

I had one Haban for a short while and I can say it is a far superior attachment as a working sickle bar mower to the Wheel Horse version.   The real weakness is the wobble box on the Wheel Horse sickle bar.   30 weight oil has to coat and cool the  many moving (and different directions) parts in the box that moves the cutting blade back and forth.  When you are using the Wheel Horse version you have to be real careful for objects in the ground.   The Wheel Horse version only can cut  in a few degrees from the ground the shoe on the end rides on or short lifts.   The Haban can cut at 120 degrees up and down.    It has angles gear boxes with direct drive shafts.-it really is the Caddillac of sickle bar mowers for a garden tractor.  I sold mine to D.J. Harrison  (HCMINNIS on Red Square).   

Maybe they made a different one than I had but mine would run fine in any position from horizontal  to vertical. As I mentioned, at least 90% of the time I had it at about a 45 degree angle trimming the briars along the paths and I did this for many years. Unfortunately it was so many years ago I can't be sure of the model number but it looked just like Shynons in the video. They probably discouraged folks from running it at anything but horizontal for obvious reasons. The transport bar that held it vertical fit between the cutters to keep it from operating. That was missing on mine so I just shortened the chain to hold it up. :)

WHX??

Thanks for the input guys! Found this thread (in a google search off all things) while searching for the insert bearings. Link here for mine and others reference.

Thanks @rmaynard will be following your instructions, and @dclarke crib notes  to the t!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

13 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

30 weight oil has to coat and cool the  many moving (and different directions) parts

What might be the thoughts on using a gear lube ..say 80/90 instead of 30 weight?

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 2