bds1984

Electric cluches

bds1984

I'm debating on installing an electric cluch on my 520H so I can run attachments on it. Right now it has an M18 off a yellow machine that is not capable of handling a side load like a WH spec engine can. I want to put an electric clutch on it, however, there is only 1.5" of crankshaft beyond the drive pulley. Is this enough to install an electric clutch? 

KC9KAS

What difference is an electric clutch vs. a manual clutch as far as the side load on the crank/side plate?

Unless I am missing something, I see NO difference in the load....only the mechanism (man vs. elect) to engage the PTO belt.

Racinbob

Interesting. I've heard many times that a manual pto on the wrong spec motor can cause issues but I never put any thought into it because I had no need to. @KC9KAS got me to thinking. A manual pto does not cause any additional side load on the crankshaft (forward to back on the tractor). Neither the push forward lever or the one that moves left/right (ie: Commando 800 and others) do. Is the pressure pushing in on the crankshaft the issue? Does that cause an issue on the flywheel end of the crankshaft? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Racinbob I think it is more of an issue if the engine DOES NOT have ball bearings on the side plate.

• Like 1

bds1984

I think we're getting two different types of loads confused here in respect to what engine I have on my tractor; Radial and Axial.  All of our machines have a radial load applied to our engines whether the crankshaft is horizontal or vertical.  Radial loads are perpendicular to the crankshaft via the belt riding on the pulley.  An axial load is parallel to the crankshaft which is present only when either type of engagement lever is used to push the PTO bell against the friction clutch disc; this force requires the engine to have ball bearings on the crankshaft OR a thrust washer somewhere on the crankshaft to handle this type of load (force) like the 11 HP and 16 HP B&S engines on the Work Horse models have.  The engine on my 520 came out of a Cub which only has bushings and cannot handle the axial pressure from a WH clutch which is why I want to install an electric clutch to allow me to use the machine for something other than plowing or pulling.  Electric clutches don't exhibit the axial load and I don't feel like ponying up a hundred bucks just to find out that the crankshaft is too short for the clutch, hence why I asked my original question.  

• Like 2

pfrederi

WH cranks are usually a shade under 3.5 inches.  The drive pulley i measured uses 1.25 inches leaving 2.25 Inches for the PTO.

The key way in one of my parts Electric PT0 is 1.5 inches..but some of them are a bit recessed and would need even more room.

I put an electric PTO on a KT 17 out of a JD 317 with out a problem but I have to go out and measure the crank on it.  In the manuals section there is a Kohler crankshaft manual that give all the different dimension for all kohler cranks.

pfrederi

Went up and looked at mine.  i do not think it will work for you.  in addition to the 1.5 inches inside the PTO the electric PTO sits almost 3/4" out from the drive pulley.  I think you need that space.  if you look at a manual PTO the outer edge of the drive pulley and the inner edge of the large PTO pulley are almost 1 inch apart, taken up by the bell and friction plate.   With only 1.5 inches your electric PTO would be up tight against the drive pulley and then the PTO pulleys would not line up with the mule drive or other implements...

Edited by pfrederi