Chuck14025

520 Electrical Problem

Chuck14025

I just acquired a 520H that ran for an hour. After sitting for a few days it started right up and quit after 5 seconds. Turn the key and nothing happens. If it were a fuel problem it would at least turn over. It won't even make a 'click' of the solenoid.

I'm guessing the problem is electrical. Battery shows 12.6 volts. Load test for 10 seconds and it still has 12.2 volts. Battery contacts are clean.

Have not checked the 'engine ground yet'. Haven't found it yet.

Loosened and re-tightened cable connection at starter.

Found the 30amp fuse severely burned. Replaced it. Still nothing.

Cut the wires to the seat safety switch and soldered them together. Still nothing.

Suggestions welcome.

Chuck14025

1 more clue: the voltmeter on the dash is not working.

Shynon

I would start  with the 9 pin connector, mine kept stopping and the tach was not working.  Unplugged it and 2 or the pins were discolored and corroded. Ordered a new one from @rmaynard in the vendor section. Replaced mine and all is good. Just picked up another 520 and was told it has no spark, connector looked the same as my other so I await another 9 pin connector before I proceed.

• Like 5

Chuck14025

Thank you Shynon.

I'll find the 9 pin connector and clean the contacts as best I can.

Then I'll try to get a replacement as you suggested.

520h

The 30 amp FUSE was fryed at the contact points, not inside the fuse itself. The wiring diagram indicates it runs to the COIL. Can anyone tell me how to TEST the COIL.    

Also, because the tractor started right up, ran for 10 seconds and quit then would not turn over, it acts like something is overheating very quickly and opening the run circuit.

Is there a switch or circuit breaker somewhere in the 'run' circuit?

Where is the 'kill' relay?

Another dumb question: is there a kill switch I'm missing?

Chuck14025

I can't find 'Maynard' in the VENDOR section. Can anyone help?

WHX??

Sounds like you have the host of electrical problems 520 are known for. Get the manuals for it with wiring diagrams out of the files section. You will need them. Also do a search on 520 electrical, you will find all kinds of problems guys have had and the fixes. Do start looking at the 9 pin and fuse block first. Bob @rmaynard guy is looking for a 9 pin... he'll be around Chuck ...give him a bit he's old!:)

• Like 2

fast88pu

I have a 520H tractor side harness if needed

• Like 1

TDF5G

• Like 4

WHX??

Thanks TD... I can't do that on a stupid smart phone:lol:

• Like 1

TDF5G
11 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

Thanks TD... I can't do that on a stupid smart phone:lol:

You're welcome.  Glad to help. :handgestures-thumbupright:

608KEB

Check connections to fuse block. Also all safety switches

• Like 1

ericj

up at the big show I was driving around my 416-H and shut it off waited for about 15 minutes, and then went to restart, nothing doa, all of the lights on the board went out, so I started to wiggle things to see what it would take to get it started and found the 30 amp fuse melted in to the fuse holder. got another fuse from a friend and still nothing. of course it was far away from all of my tools and test equipment. So Glenn Cockerham offered to tow it back to the show barn for me, didn't like to do it but had almost no choice, so we drug it back and I left it sit till Saturday when it was time to load it up. Turned the switch on and jumped the starter and she fired right up. Drove it down to the trailer and shut it off. then thought I wonder ?? and hit the key and it fired up. It actually started up. It's still sitting in the trailer, that's where I keep it, So I'll have to wait and see if it'll start next time I need it to. I think I'll know how to start it.

eric j   

953 nut

With any electrical problem the first step is to clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds. Corrosion in the fuse holder could have caused the melting that occurred, it is basically a high resistance connection and resistors produce heat when current passes through them.

• Like 2