Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

CAUGHT A BIG RED SNAPPER!

illinilefttackle

Hey guys- sounds like Fish for supper!- Na- I just picked up a vintage Snapper Rear Tine Tiller for a friend. It has a broken rod.  The folks he got it from just gave up on it, I guess. At first looks like "easy peasy" rebuild or repower. But not that easy-Hard to find a new heavy flywheel engine for cheap- and good used ones are few & far between. SO- looks like I'm trying to save it- already got the crank polished , now just need to MIc everything- luckily there was no other damage inside-Once I measure everything then I can think about a rod , rings & maybe a piston. Electrics were new , including the Magnetron. Everything else is in super condition, boots on axles  and belts & pulleys, even the tires look fairly new.

I also picked up it's little brother named "Wizard"  , engine just worn out- re-adjusted the valves , got a little more compression, then I shot oil in the plug hole & compression came up temporarily.  This is a side shaft Briggs also- 3.5 hp. The rest of it is in good condition. Looking for replacement power for this- but has to be heavy flywheel- not lawn mower. God just decided it was time for me to do 'a little gardening" I guess. Let you know how its coming out- Thanks- Al

Shoot- I forgot I cant post pics.  Its a Snapper R-5000 &  the other is Wizard 3.5 by from Firestone.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

How about some pictures?

illinilefttackle
1 hour ago, illinilefttackle said:

Hey guys- sounds like Fish for supper!- Na- I just picked up a vintage Snapper Rear Tine Tiller for a friend. It has a broken rod.  The folks he got it from just gave up on it, I guess. At first looks like "easy peasy" rebuild or repower. But not that easy-Hard to find a new heavy flywheel engine for cheap- and good used ones are few & far between. SO- looks like I'm trying to save it- already got the crank polished , now just need to MIc everything- luckily there was no other damage inside-Once I measure everything then I can think about a rod , rings & maybe a piston. Electrics were new , including the Magnetron. Everything else is in super condition, boots on axles  and belts & pulleys, even the tires look fairly new.

I also picked up it's little brother named "Wizard"  , engine just worn out- re-adjusted the valves , got a little more compression, then I shot oil in the plug hole & compression came up temporarily.  This is a side shaft Briggs also- 3.5 hp. The rest of it is in good condition. Looking for replacement power for this- but has to be heavy flywheel- not lawn mower. God just decided it was time for me to do 'a little gardening" I guess. Let you know how its coming out- Thanks- Al

Shoot- I forgot I cant post pics.  Its a Snapper R-5000 &  the other is Wizard 3.5 by from Firestone.

My membership expired- and with my Foster Son there is no extra cash available to renew it- I used to use Photo Bucket but I don't know if you can still do that. Thanks- Al

Edited by illinilefttackle

illinilefttackle

Trying Photo Bucket

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

WONDERFUL!- Sorry- Al

Edited by illinilefttackle