SamH

1981 c-175

SamH

Hey guys, I am going to be looking at a 1981 wheel horse c 175 this weekend. Found the Forum here as I was researching the tractor and was hoping I could get some input on the tractor and things to look for. No mower deck, but will be coming with several attachments including loader bucket, plow blade, snowblower, rear blade and cab enclosure. Appreciate any comments and help.

midpack

1981 should be a series 2 Kohler. is it hydro or std transmission? with a loader, I'm guessing hydro. make sure the filter is sticking out toward the back. check the fluids for smell and clarity...

pfrederi

If it is a 1981 it is probably not a Series 2 Parts listing shows 24143 spec number.  Series 2 start at 24300

Series 1 KT 17s were not Kohlers best effort. (John Deere stopped using Kohler for a long time after all the problems with the JD317 which had a KT17 Series 1).

That said I have a series 1 with well over 2000 hours smokes on start up but clears up after a minute or 2 and still runs well.  Keep her full (or a bit over with oil) avoid running a lot on hillsides and she will probably do fine.  The Series 1 is a good reason to argue the seller down but I would still probably buy it

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS:

SamH

Thanks for the welcome.

Midpack, it's a hydro transmission. 

Pfrederi, thanks for the info on the engine. I doubt I'll be passing it by unless there's something majorly wrong. The price is definitely right. That is somewhat concerning with the hills, as part of what I need it for will be bringing in dirt and regrading a hillside. Although I imagine as long as I'm aware and don't stay on the incline more than a few minutes at a time that I'll be alright. Are the series I and series II interchangeable by chance? Or are there any other motors out there that I can convert to if needed in the future?

edgro

My C175 Series 1 has done well for me the last 23 years plowing Michigan snow 

• Like 1

Sarge

The idea of working a slope with a semi-splash lube engine is a bad idea , it takes just a few seconds to starve the rods of oil and the damage is done . Series II engines are the same on the outside , internal design changes are what made the difference so yes it would fit . Side slopes are the worst and probably the biggest factor for blowing up old K series engines along with not cleaning out their fins on occasion . There are many factors about working slopes , mostly just how steep they are and the angle of approach - front to rear isn't nearly as bad as trying to work across the slope , so keep that in mind . There are plenty of threads about transplanting newer engines to replace the Series I - might want to search those out for reference .

Overall , it's a great tractor and has many fans here....just a heavy duty C series which is one of the favorites for a worker .

Sarge

• Like 1

TDF5G

:WRS:  Good luck with your decision on the C-175.

Rollerman

I had a C175 W/a series 1.

It had a lot of hours, but like was already mentioned.... keep the fins clear, engine oil topped off & run it.

Worse case scenario, somewhere down the line if you have to replace the engine.....Horse's are highly adaptable to engine swaps, even if you don't use a KT17 again.

I have a 310-8 with a Kwic Way loader.

I swapped out the front axle beam & steering for 520H parts.

If the engine gets to tired I'll rebuild or replace.

I'm not to worried about originality since it a worker.

Can't go wrong with a Horse wearing an FEL, very handy to have.

Edited by Rollerman

SamH

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure we will be purchasing, but happy to know more about the machine and what to look for. The tractor is being sold with the loader, snowblower, front blade, rear blade, cab enclosure, pallet forks, hay forks, and loading ramps for under 3000. Leaves me plenty of room to play with in regards to any future work the engine may need and still have  it be a worthwhile investment. 

• Like 1

SamH

Plus I like that we share the same birth year. 

SamH

I've also found a kt17 off of a gravely 8179 KT. For under 200, that needs rebuilt. This would be the series II based off the the production year correct? And is this a decent price? This is my first real foray into heavier garden equipment and possible engine replacement etc. The ability is there, just unfamiliar with the territory.

ericj

I believe that the Gravely's run a too short of crankshaft to work on a wheel horse

eric j

shallowwatersailor
7 hours ago, SamH said:

I've also found a kt17 off of a gravely 8179 KT. For under 200, that needs rebuilt. This would be the series II based off the the production year correct? And is this a decent price? This is my first real foray into heavier garden equipment and possible engine replacement etc. The ability is there, just unfamiliar with the territory.

Engines used on Gravely two-wheel and four-wheel tractors, with the engine, to the rear use a tapered shaft. You would need to change the crankshaft.

• Like 1

SamH

Took a look today. Hope to close the deal here in the next few days. Tossed in a couple pics.  Loader worked amazingly well. Needs some tlc and a little maintenance...cleaned, lubed, hoses replaced before theyes blow etc, but all in all it was pretty solid. Now I can't remember the spec # that was on the motor, but I believe it was even a series II motor. Regardless, it's gonna work just fine for the majority of what I need 

20170722_133118.jpg

20170722_133141.jpg

• Like 3

Sarge

Very nice - I'd love to have a loader but just don't have the room to store it .

Sarge