Tgtack

Which way should I restore this WH

Tgtack

Saturday I am picking up what originally was a model 551. It is far from being original at this point. It has a K91 installed, missing several covers, and someone cut the rear half of the hood off. So, which way would you go, try to scrounge parts for a 551 restore (H55 engine extremely rare), keep the K91, or some other engine?

I will be repairing or replacing the hood, and finding the missing covers.

00z0z_803ifYm5YeA_1200x900 (1).jpg

00K0K_gXTsuruv1EO_1200x900.jpg

00707_atsHBY3r2Zl_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_aBQI49ttbPj_1200x900 (1).jpg

• Like 8

WHX??

I'm thinkin seat time the snot out of it and enjoy Tg.....:lol:

• Like 8

Tgtack
1 minute ago, WHX11 said:

I'm thinkin seat time the snot out of it and enjoy Tg.....:lol:

I have to replace 3rd gear first!

With the hood cut, I have a nice K161T engine!

• Like 3

Aldon

The original ignition switch is near rare as frogs hair too.

even if you find the H55, getting the correct air cleaner etc adds more cost and challenge

The stuff that's missing seems to be all the stuff that made that model unique.

you may likely have more into buying and gathering the missing pieces ala carte than it will be valued. I saw one sit on EBay this spring for a few weeks with no one ponying up the $550 buy it now price.

Reatoring would be cool but I think it would make a nice cruiser too.

• Like 6

neil

What a  Shame the hood has been cut , nice looking tractor otherwise. 

• Like 1

squonk

I'd try to find a hood to keep the heat off Big Jim and the Twins and a belt cover and drive it! :)

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher
2 hours ago, neil said:

What a  Shame the hood has been cut , nice looking tractor otherwise. 

I agree with Neil. I guess enjoy for what it is. Or make it your own.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-+1: Ride 'em cowboy.  pferd.gif.a72a3f0b6a8ecf9ae8ce04a512279368.gif

• Like 4

953 nut
7 hours ago, Tgtack said:

With the hood cut, I have a nice K161T engine!

:text-coolphotos:  Hard enough to keep the front tires on the ground with a K-91 between your knees, with a K-161 it would be a hand full. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 5

slim67

I saw that on CL and was wondering who would buy it. Put a Vanguard in it!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: The Kohler twins are nice. 

IMG_6076.JPG.7d99bc3f38e5436fff3ab66bce967390.JPG

• Like 9

DennisThornton
11 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Side saddle? No wheelie bar? 

If the price is right ($$,  I have no idea!) I'd buy it, use it, watch for parts and be happy if I found some.  If they didn't materialize I'd mod or sell it. Currently guess is tastefully mod it to as close to original as possible. 

• Like 2

953 nut
11 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

The Kohler twins are nice.

596f39546e53e_bigshowsaturday006.JPG.17f287fd852e6830b4e2cd57430eaa2f.JPG

• Like 8

PeacemakerJack

It really ends up being a matter of preference. I've been in the GT hobby long enough to know that if you want an original "rare" tractor, it is best to buy one that has all or most of the rare parts on it to start with. They often can be found over time with a lot of patience, a little luck, and a thick pocketbook. Sometimes, by the time you get all the pieces together, you would've been cheaper to buy one that had what you needed. However, for some it is the thrill of the hunt!  

Looking at your tractor, it is cool as is, with the help of some hood work.  I agree with @Retierd Wrencher make it your own and have a one of a kind fun little horse!

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 5

Tgtack
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

I saw that on CL and was wondering who would buy it. Put a Vanguard in it!

For the price it has quite a bit going for it. He dropped the asking price after he realized there was an issue with 3rd gear. It is clean overall, so very easy to get it into a pristine look. Has new tires all around with refinished rims. Would be easy to make it into a pseudo 401 clone (uni-drive tranny) by adding the two engine and exhaust heat shields, belt cover, repairing the hood, adding choke and throttle cables.

Since the show in June, seems that available round hoods are far less, and asking prices have jumped considerably. I am probably going to go the 401 clone route and then look for the 551 bits over time.

I would like to find a complete hood rather than doing a repair. I have wound up with several extra frames and transaxles, and eventually want to piece together something like this, and the cut hood would be the perfect starting point!

wheelhorse2.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 7

slim67
2 hours ago, Tgtack said:

For the price it has quite a bit going for it. He dropped the asking price after he realized there was an issue with 3rd gear. It is clean overall, so very easy to get it into a pristine look. Has new tires all around with refinished rims. Would be easy to make it into a pseudo 401 clone (uni-drive tranny) by adding the two engine and exhaust heat shields, belt cover, repairing the hood, adding choke and throttle cables.

Since the show in June, seems that available round hoods are far less, and asking prices have jumped considerably. I am probably going to go the 401 clone route and then look for the 551 bits over time.

I would like to find a complete hood rather than doing a repair. I have wound up with several extra frames and transaxles, and eventually want to piece together something like this, and the cut hood would be the perfect starting point!

wheelhorse2.jpg

I thought it was a good buy and glad to see it will have a good home. I sold a roller along time ago with a cut hood but don't know whatever came of it. It was a 400 though.

3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Side saddle? No wheelie bar? 

If the price is right ($$,  I have no idea!) I'd buy it, use it, watch for parts and be happy if I found some.  If they didn't materialize I'd mod or sell it. Currently guess is tastefully mod it to as close to original as possible. 

3 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

That looks cool and dangerous at the same time.:o

• Like 3

Tgtack
1 minute ago, slim67 said:

I thought it was a good buy and glad to see it will have a good home. I sold a roller along time ago with a cut hood but don't know whatever came of it. It was a 400 though.

It does not have a serial number tag on it (that the owner could find), so can only go by what is there. It has the 551 style headstand and the Uni-Drive tranny, so it appears to be a 551.

• Like 1

slim67
1 hour ago, Tgtack said:

It does not have a serial number tag on it (that the owner could find), so can only go by what is there. It has the 551 style headstand and the Uni-Drive tranny, so it appears to be a 551.

Well have fun with it regardless and I will be watching to see how it turns out. I am going to swap something into my B-80 here soon as that's my new pull tractor. 

• Like 1

Tgtack
27 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Well have fun with it regardless and I will be watching to see how it turns out. I am going to swap something into my B-80 here soon as that's my new pull tractor. 

I am probably just going to fix the hood and add the covers and run it as is. If over time I can find the 551 specific parts, then it would go back as original, someday. Fun little tractor regardless!

• Like 4

slim67
4 hours ago, Tgtack said:

I am probably just going to fix the hood and add the covers and run it as is. If over time I can find the 551 specific parts, then it would go back as original, someday. Fun little tractor regardless!

Nice. Plan on doing some bicycling up in your neck of the woods this fall at put-in-bay. i am looking forward to it. Beautiful area you live in.

• Like 1

Tgtack
3 hours ago, slim67 said:

Nice. Plan on doing some bicycling up in your neck of the woods this fall at put-in-bay. i am looking forward to it. Beautiful area you live in.

Let me know when, will have to meet up.

slim67
23 minutes ago, Tgtack said:

Let me know when, will have to meet up.

sounds good to me. im thinking in september. 

• Like 1