Al C.

30 More Years ...

elcamino/wheelhorse

They sure look nice , well taken care of. AT least 30 more years.

• Like 5

Texas Todd

Keep taking care of them like you have and teach the boys how to as well. That should do it! Nice rides!

• Like 6

BOB ELLISON

Very nice machines but I have found that garage kept tractors will fare the best. I think if you take care of them as you would a nice car they will last for another 50 years. I can see 2 tractors for sale and always tell you which one was appreciated and taken care of. And with anything mechanical some things will ware out. I think you already gave them a new life.  

• Like 6

neil

Best way to keep them in good shape is , buy  another one and use that for working and then keep those to for best .

beautiful looking tractors , almost a shame to work them . 

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher

Al C. I always thought that if you do all the P/M`s on these, and as you said used lightly there is no reason why they shouldn't last a life time.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

Keep taking care of them like you have and teach the boys how to as well.

Todd nailed it.   :text-bravo: Teach your sons to perform regular maintenance and they will be able to enjoy them for a lifetime. 

• Like 2

elliot ness

Very nice tractors, and yes your kids shall enjoy them for 30 years and pass them to your grandkids, they will thank you many time in the future.:text-bravo:

Sarge

The only way I see is to start sourcing all the wear parts . Stuff like deck spindles , idler pulleys and such and stock spares for each . Start a very detailed book for each one , listing all replacement part numbers and as much dimensional information as you can - stuff like belt sizes , bearing dimensions , ect . I stock up on certain hard to find parts for the old 1277 since I'm determined to make it to 60+yrs with that one no matter what it needs . If you go as far as axle/wheel bearings and even rebuild kits that potential to serve grandchildren when they are property owning adults goes up a lot . We're seeing more and more younger folks show up here looking for help restoring "Grandpa's tractor" - if you spend the time with them to teach and let them operate it that stuff goes a long way . My daughter came by not too long after I sold the second 1277 - she saw it leave town and was upset about it , thought it was the old original First Horse...lol . My twin grandsons are nuts about the tractors but still pretty destructive and only 4 - but they already have the drive to help their Dad repair his 1067 and God help him if he ever leaves the key in it . They get rides with "Papa" , just like their older sister did when she was their age and the grin on their face makes memories that last a long time .

Keep solid records , mark the replacement parts to their respective tractors and take care how you store the stuff - you'll be surprised how much easier it makes things down the road .

Sarge

• Like 2

TDF5G
13 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

Keep taking care of them like you have and teach the boys how to as well. That should do it! Nice rides!

:text-yeahthat:  

Keep on doing what you're doing.  

Mighty fine looking pair of horses! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Al C.
7 hours ago, Sarge said:

The only way I see is to start sourcing all the wear parts . Stuff like deck spindles , idler pulleys and such and stock spares for each . Start a very detailed book for each one , listing all replacement part numbers and as much dimensional information as you can - stuff like belt sizes , bearing dimensions , ect . I stock up on certain hard to find parts for the old 1277 since I'm determined to make it to 60+yrs with that one no matter what it needs . If you go as far as axle/wheel bearings and even rebuild kits that potential to serve grandchildren when they are property owning adults goes up a lot . We're seeing more and more younger folks show up here looking for help restoring "Grandpa's tractor" - if you spend the time with them to teach and let them operate it that stuff goes a long way . My daughter came by not too long after I sold the second 1277 - she saw it leave town and was upset about it , thought it was the old original First Horse...lol . My twin grandsons are nuts about the tractors but still pretty destructive and only 4 - but they already have the drive to help their Dad repair his 1067 and God help him if he ever leaves the key in it . They get rides with "Papa" , just like their older sister did when she was their age and the grin on their face makes memories that last a long time .

Keep solid records , mark the replacement parts to their respective tractors and take care how you store the stuff - you'll be surprised how much easier it makes things down the road .

Sarge

I have been working under the premise that because of the way the old Wheel Horses are constructed, if specific parts can not be sourced in the future there is a good chance that there are parts that can be retrofitted or fabricate from scratch.  So as a consequence, I have not been warehousing replacements.  What do you think of this approach?  I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far ... thanks!!!