Lablan

Starter Pinion gear not contacting flywheel correctly

9 posts in this topic

I am asking for help from all the members in Red Square. I have a Wheel Horse 520-H with an ONAN P220G-I / 10955C.

I bought a new starter motor and flywheel from my local Toro dealer whom I trust and has never steered me wrong yet. I installed the starter motor with the spacer bushing on the correct side of the engine block to get the starter motor gear out far enough to make contact with the flywheel. Now I see that the pinion gear in the starter motor is not a large enough diameter to fit with the teeth of the flywheel. HOW COULD THAT BE? There is no up or down adjustment on the starter motor mounting. The fly wheel is where it is going to be. Could the starter motor be the wrong one? The solenoid is at a right angle to the mounting bolt holes and that is the only way I could see to mount this starter motor. I had a starter motor that had the solenoid at 180 degree from the mounting bolts but that would not clear the tractor frame.. I have the ONAN P200G Service Manual but it does not cover this problem. It does not give the starter motor number either.

I have attached pictures of the gear engaged showing the gap between the gear and flywheel (first picture slightly dark).. Second picture is of the gear disengaged. Third picture is gear disengaged from different angle. Fourth picture is of the spacer bushings in mounted starter motor and engine block. The last picture is of the electric fuel pump for the same engine that is not working. Does anyone have a replacement for that fuel pump?

596d0dbf369a3_IMG_0840gearengagedcropped.jpg.3162e96a296b664f266a3875c6fe1fcd.jpg596d0dbf969d9_IMG_0841geardisengaged2.jpg.5b5ed3c03dd7cbcc2b64ac24715c6284.jpg596d0dc046c4e_IMG_0843anotherangleofdisengaged2.jpg.c9a3cabc5a46916b568490477ddade01.jpg596d0dbfee6fa_IMG_0842spacerbusshings2.jpg.587181ac590de5fe4b3fb104c2e62198.jpg596d0dc093be4_IMG_0844electricfuelpump2.jpg.18ddbe27a2a94c281532febd3641b287.jpg

17 minutes ago, Lablan said:

Does anyone have a replacement for that fuel pump

I have had good luck with Facet brand electric pumps -12v...1.5 to 2.5 psi  - available online at pegasus auto racing supplies.. need to keep the pressure low to prevent damage to your carb....:twocents-02cents:

1 person likes this

Jerry 77

Thank you for that tip. I will look that up.

Lablan

lablan

please list the 191-xxxx-xx # of the NEW starter.

as viewed from the rear there are only 3 P starters.

one with NO solenoid.

one with the solenoid at 3 O clock

one with the solenoid at 6 O clock

thank you. boomer  ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

Boomers_influence

The solenoid is at 3:00 but I don't have a number for it. The pinion gear is missing the flywheel. Any help or advice? 

Jerry77

Which Facet pump the square ones or the cylindrical ones?

Edited by Lablan

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, Jerry77 said:

I have had good luck with Facet brand electric pumps -12v...1.5 to 2.5 psi  - available online at pegasus auto racing supplies.. need to keep the pressure low to prevent damage to your carb....:twocents-02cents:

Which Facet electric fuel pump is better the square types or the cylindrical types?

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, boomers_influence said:

lablan

please list the 191-xxxx-xx # of the NEW starter.

as viewed from the rear there are only 3 P starters.

one with NO solenoid.

one with the solenoid at 3 O clock

one with the solenoid at 6 O clock

thank you. boomer  ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

I don't have a number for the starter motor. I had my local Toro dealer find it for me. I still wonder if the is one of those cheap China motors. I just seems that the starter gear is already worn down or is not the right diameter to engage the flywheel. Do you have a used starter motor the would fit and still works?

Thank you

Edited by Lablan

1 hour ago, Lablan said:

Which Facet electric fuel pump is better the square types or the cylindrical types?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9811

This is what  I bought - works really well --the cylindrical types were too expensive for me...might be better - I don't know..:twocents-02cents:

Nice price on the US made Facet , thanks for that - local JD dealer wanted $100 for the same pump , ouch . No real difference between the cylinder pumps vs the square block types - it's still just a solenoid plunger and a set of check valves unless it's a rotary which is a whole different ball game .

Sarge