Klinger

Transmission Died

lynnmor

Start soaking it with penetrating oil now and give it a lot of time too work.  Depending how bad it is, it might tap right out using a brass or aluminum drift pin.  Whatever you do, don't mushroom the ends by striking with a hard hammer.  Some have tried heat, and others used strong language,  Try the conservative way first and work up to more aggressive methods.  There will be others offering ideas, I never allowed on to rust in place.

Klinger
9 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Start soaking it with penetrating oil now and give it a lot of time too work.  Depending how bad it is, it might tap right out using a brass or aluminum drift pin.  Whatever you do, don't mushroom the ends by striking with a hard hammer.  Some have tried heat, and others used strong language,  Try the conservative way first and work up to more aggressive methods.  There will be others offering ideas, I never allowed on to rust in place.

That is what I am doing now...soaking it in PB Blaster....I'll just keep spraying for the next week. I did pound a couple of times but not to bad where I mushroomed the pin.  But at least I know that the dang thing is suppose to come out.

lynnmor

Since you have a week, keep using the PB which is as good as any.  Perhaps heat it a bit with a torch or heat gun a few times to help the PB along.  Those pins were completely free when new.  Use some soft metal for the hammer to beat on, a hard hammer will cause damage.

953 nut

If you drill a hole through the casting down to the pin on each side you can get some penetrating oil in both sides.

confucius-say.png.58dc61bb9e37316aef8f07a677ae3139.png

The Tuul Crib
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If you drill a hole through the casting down to the pin on each side you can get some penetrating oil in both sides.

confucius-say.png.58dc61bb9e37316aef8f07a677ae3139.png

:text-yeahthat:

The Tuul Crib

If you do drill a hole in the casing 

do it with a correct size drill bit

and l believe a number 7, to tap out

a 1/4 28 hole for a grease fitting. 
BTW   I have used a large diameter brass 

rod and still mushroomed the shaft

alittle.

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Klinger

Ok FINALLY!!  Work has begun.  But can someone please inform the dummy here (meaning me) why o why is this not coming off.  Is the attachment for the brake drum suppose to be pulled off? Being quarantined is giving me the time to make accomplishments on the old girl ,  is I can first get the shell off first. Is the obvious hitting me in the face?

IMG_6506[1].JPG

IMG_6503[1].JPG