Klinger

Transmission Died

Klinger

I was chugging along in 3rd gear mowing the grass last night and the old girl coasted to a stop.  It will go in reverse but not in any of the other gears with me on it.  She will go "slowly" in the gears when I am off.  Checked the dip stick and white foam.  Now I do know that there was fluid in the trans 2 weeks ago because I checked it.  So I am  assuming that something burnt.  Any suggestions for the '72 Raider 10?  My other half wants to get rid of the old girl and that is just not happening.........made that very clear.

• Like 2

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:Water in the transmission wouldn't cause that but it needs to be flushed and refilled. It's almost certainly what Bob said. Remember, it only takes one axle key sheared to stop the tractor. I think you may have a 6 speed with the 10 pinion limited slip differential. I really don't know exactly how it would react but it might be why it creeps with no weight on it but it wouldn't go with any authority in any case. It could also be that the hub is tight enough to allow it to creep. :)

• Like 4

stevasaurus

If your model # is 1-0301, your 72 Raider 10 is the same as mine.  It is the #5086 transmission...8 speed with a 4 pinion differential with 1" axles.  The symptoms that you describe are almost certainly a sheared wood ruff key...probably one of the hubs.  check those 1st and then check pulleys.  :)

• Like 9

Klinger

Thank you to all who replied to my tread.......not able today or tomorrow but as soon as I can I will let you know.  Thanks again.

• Like 2

Klinger

Just for my curiosity are there any treads (well detailed) on how to rebuild a transmission of my model year?

rmaynard

Go to the forum section "Instructional Threads & Videos/Transmissions". You should be able to find what you are looking for.

• Like 1

953 nut

Take a look at this thread, has a lot of good info. you can use.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I have not done a video on what amounts to your transmission, but enough videos exist in the reference section that would show separately the differential, the rest of the transmission of a 6 speed, etc.  The difference between a 6 and 8 speed transmission is really in the hi/low mechanism...they work the same and are similar though.  The one video that I do have of the hi/low mechanism will be close enough to walk you through it.  This stuff is really pretty easy...just take good pictures as you take it apart.  If you take good pictures, we can help you with any problem you have.  :)

• Like 3

Tuneup

Need an update on this - was it the key???

Yes, Steve-Os videos have helped me assemble 2 8-speeds, the most recent yesterday... Thanks! The ringing phones in the videos had the kids looking for their cell phones - too funny.

• Like 2

Klinger

My other half's family came to visit over the weekend.....they finally left.....told her that I would be looking at the tractor now.  Have the tractor on stands will update later.

• Like 1

Klinger

I think this must have been an issue before.  I loaned this old girl to my Great Uncle back in 2004 for save keeping till my divorce was finished (I thought for sure that the ex-wife would have tried of making the old girl an issue (she did not tho)).....my Great Uncle "gave" her to my Father  a couple of years later....so somewhere within that time someone changed the right hub (black) compared to the left (red).  So my opinion the axles where an issue and that the axles are worn to the point that the keys will not sit properly. Again this is my opinion.....what does anyone else think?

Croped Right Axel.jpg

Croped Left Axle.jpg

tunahead72

I can't view the photos for some reason.  Anybody else?

Klinger

Croped Left Axle 2.jpg

Croped Right Axle 2.jpg

This is what the left and right key looked like.

Croped Both Keys.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

If you or someone you know can weld really good they can be salvaged or a machine shop could do it and/or recut the keyways in the axles, then replace with new woodruff keys, of course "new" axles could be procured, Jeff.

• Like 1

953 nut

Here is a thread on doing the repair.

• Like 2

Klinger

Well I found a new "old" stock axle ....did not haggle just paid the price.  So there is one down and as for the other I am going to give the machinist at work a shot at milling a new slot.  Ordered new keys and now just have to do some research on the procedure of removing the old axles.  I am hoping that by the end of next week the old girl will be back on line.  

• Like 1

stevasaurus

When you get the transmission ready to open up.  Place it with the shallow side (input pulley) down.  You want to take off the deep (brake shaft) side.  Once you take off the side casting, you can just pull out the differential and take it apart and remove the axles and replace.  You will not have to remove any other gears unless you have more going on in there.  The gasket is available from TORO for abut $5  part # 3912.  :)

Searcher60
15 hours ago, Klinger said:

Well I found a new "old" stock axle ....did not haggle just paid the price.  So there is one down and as for the other I am going to give the machinist at work a shot at milling a new slot.  Ordered new keys and now just have to do some research on the procedure of removing the old axles.  I am hoping that by the end of next week the old girl will be back on line.  

I just went thru this ordeal on my C160, both axles and both hubs. Lincoln at A-Z tractors mite have a used axle. It helps if you have the old one out to measure the length and count the splines. Finding good used axles is the best solution. Good luck!

Klinger

Well it has been 2 years since my last post.  It has been one thing after another...work, sickness, got married to my high school sweetheart (it only took 35 yrs for life to bring us back together) but most of all procrastination has been the main reason. I am planning to start after Thanksgiving to get this task done and over with.  I miss riding the old girl and have been using the push mower for the last 2 years (only takes 3 1/2 hrs to mow using the push mower...not fun). So once I get started I will be posting pics.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

76c12091520h

Welcome back neighbor !:)

ZXT
1 hour ago, LeRoy Klinger said:

takes 3 1/2 hrs to mow using the push mower...not fun)

Welcome back to :rs:!

Man, if you add up the time you used push mowing, you could've fixed the Horse, mowed, and still had a ton of time left over!

Glad to see that you stuck to your guns and kept it! It would be a cold, cold day before I let anyone tell me to get rid of any of my Horses!

Let us know if you need any help during the process and how it all turns out! The amount of knowledge here is incredible.

stevasaurus

Priorities Mate!!!   Running horse before marriage.   :hilarious:  Welcome back.  Guess what, we now have an 8 speed thread with pictures and videos.  :banana-linedance:

Lee1977

They are not hard to work on. I replaced every bearing in my C-120 transmission long before I joined Red Square. 

Edited by Lee1977

Klinger

Well Thanksgiving did not pan out to work on the old girl.....but being off for this pandemic gives me all the time in the world and NO EXCUSES to not be working on her.  I do have a question...how damn hard is it to get the hitch pin out?  This pin does not want to move. Trans if filthy. 

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

Edited by LeRoy Klinger
add pics