pacer

Rectifier Packard 56 type connector?

pacer

BMW was asking about connecting the rectifier wires on a D-200 which prompts me to ask about the Delphi Packard 56 type connector that goes to it. I have looked at connectors til I'm crosseyed and cannot find this type. Its a 3 point but its different in that it has 2 on bottom with the one on top to the side - not in the much more popular 'pyramid' style. Anyone know of a source?? Seems like all the connectors to the regulators - and the ign switch - get hot and melt. I have 3 of the D's and all 3 are this way. The one below is not so bad but is melted enough the the tabs wont engage .... so far I have just been pushing each individual wire onto the rectifier, but :handgestures-thumbdown:

IMG_3493.JPG.347bb488f183b9fba74ccb1cacbc818c.JPG

• Like 1

pfrederi

Not a direct answer but I do not bother trying to find the right connectors in all cases.  I just put on fully insulated connectors and put each wire on separately.  have done it for regulators and ignition switches

terminal.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

KC9KAS

I got the Packard 56 series connectors (and crimpers) from: THE ELECTRICAL DEPOT.COM!

I bought single, double, triple, quadruple and 5 position (what is 5?) male & female connectors as well as the male/female ends for the wires.

I rewired a tractor using all new connectors and the correct gauge AND color of wire! Damn proud of myself!

• Like 3

pacer

KC,

Amazingly I missed that web site somehow, but unfortunately they also didnt have that connector, apparently it has been totally discontinued. I will just continue and do like paulf (above) does and just use individual connections at the rectifier. Thanks for the link tho, looks like a good one to keep in bookmarks.

The 5 position is the one that goes at the ignition switch - they are also prone to get hot and melt.

• Like 1

diesel cowboy

How about taking the 5 position plug and cut off the 2 that aren't needed to make the 3 position?

KC9KAS
5 hours ago, diesel cowboy said:

How about taking the 5 position plug and cut off the 2 that aren't needed to make the 3 position?

Possibly, but some rectifiers are 3 terminals in a row, and some are offset from one another.

If the 5 position works, really don't need to cut it, just use the 3 positions necessary to connect to the regulator.

I will try to look this evening to see if the 5 position terminal will fit the rectifier.

pacer

I had the same thought, except I was wondering about the four slot. Now since this has been brought up - and I hadnt thought of the five slot connector - and, since I have a fiver on hand ...... well I'll just give er a try!!:lol:

Edit: OK, so the 5 holer - and no doubt the 4 holer - will work! Although I didnt actually try with it all hooked up - I just fitted a blank onto a spare rectifier. But -- it will have to be "trimmed" of the excess slots, say with a cut-off wheel on a Dremel, which sure wont be a problem. they would interfere with mounting - on mine.

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1