henryhpsd

known issues 316-8 ?

henryhpsd

Hello all,

Since a while if gathered enthusiasme for law mowers, in general..

....untill.. i saw.. wheel horse...

( no futher explination needed i recon hihi)

Would love to set my goal at one of that oldtimers..  but need a "work horse" atm im leaning to a 316-8 in very good shape.. 16hp onan engine.. roughly he is asking a 1000 euros for it. 

Would that be a fair price ?

And what would be points of interest to inspect ... 

im not worried about "doing work"..not art all... but perhaps there are "known" issues ?

Thank you in advance..

Kind regards,

H.

Edited by henryhpsd

953 nut

:WRS:        I have no way of knowing what the value in the Netherlands would be, perhaps you can find other brands of the same size and compare the prices. If the Onan has been well maintained it should be a great choice. Perhaps you could look on the "Member Map" and find another member to send a PM (personal message) to for more input.

KC9KAS

@henryhpsd :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

henryhpsd

Thank you so much for the replies !....

KC9KAS...that sounds to me like a HAM call ?( if so... 73s from PG0DX )

In aspect to prices, seems prices in the USA are lower compared to Europa, with that said....that is my initial thoughts...after spending a lovely weekend searching on the net...by far Im "knowledgable", could be mistaking.

Think i am "hooked" now...so ill get there hihi...

Thanks again, Kind regards,

Henry

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I have a Horse of that series and you need to look at the thin sheet metal that makes up the transmission tunnel. The seat mounts to some very thin [ears] on the back of the tunnel, and they can crack. My seat nearly tore off the machine while mowing a side slope There is also an idler pulley for the transmission belt that can wear through the bushing where the shaft for the pulley goes through the thin metal of the tunnel. If it wears through, expect an egg shaped hole and your transmission belts will vibrate a bunch and wear out quickly. Lubricate the thing to prolong the bushing's life

You probably already know that the Onans can get hot if you don't keep the intake screen clear. Very expensive to repair and they will have valve problems if they get too hot.

• Like 1

meadowfield

Hi Henry,

if it has a deck in good order then 1000 euro is about right. Over here in the uk, they start around 100 and stop at whatever someone is prepared to pay. Spares whilst not plentiful are relatively easy to acquire.

mark

• Like 1

henryhpsd

Hello All,

@Ohiofarmer...Indeed, i just spend an hour (or 2) reading about the Onan engine...and from your post i now know where to look for besides the engine tnx !

@Meadowfield,...if the seller reads here...I hope he will thank you ! Your post is just the one needed for me to go ahead...(so thanks from my side too hihi)

Have to wait till the owner returns from holliday,...hoping for a nice end result !  (ill post a picture)

Thank you all !

Kind regards,

Henry

• Like 1

henryhpsd

Hello everyone !,

The owner has returned from his holiday .. and by the looks of it going to pick it up on thursday...:greetings-clappingyellow:

Thanks to all again !

Kind regards,

Henry

Wheel horse 5.png

Wheel horse 6.png

Wheel horse 4.png

Wheel horse 2.png

• Like 1