dells68

Don't blame me ... blame 953Nut!

DennisThornton

For sure, put all the blame on Richard, but thanks for the pictures anyway! 

Keep it up! 

• Like 5

953 nut
5 hours ago, dells68 said:

Richard wanted to know if I was going to start a thread on my 953 refresh, so blame him for my ramblings.

Related image

5 hours ago, dells68 said:

How early is this machine?  Seems to be maybe a crossover machine between the first thousand or so with early boxes and later 1963 machines.

Yours and the one that @TravelinJavelin picked up both have the Ross steering and the later headlights and steering wheel, also both in the 3XXXX serial number range. The information @gwest_ca has on file shows that the first 1,000 or so had a serial number in the range of 62-00XXX  and then the next group spans from 32508 to 36637, then it jumps to 41516 to 42111. Hope we can get a bit of feedback from others on this; seems to be another conundrum the Pond family left us to consider and debate.

• Like 8

TravelinJavelin

I just compared serial #'s mine is a little earlier 34696........I know one thing, i'll be glad when my shifter is fixed

• Like 5

dells68

Thanks guys!  Seems like they used up every part they had before going on with the new model changes.  Frugality seems to be the key to success.  That's what has me wondering about the decals - seems like there never was any paint at all under them!

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

I think mine has been repainted once its a deeper red that the standard wheel horse color which I do like but I have been pondering my own paint scheme..........for some reason I keep pondering a turquoise and egg shell white color scheme

• Like 3

dells68

The way I look at it, they are our machines to enjoy. I've seen several at the Big Show the last couple of years with custom paint on them.  Paint is something that can be changed back to original fairly easily and it gives you the chance to freshen up hardware if you wish.  I like them in their work clothes, rat rod style (oiled or clear coated), and shiny all!  

• Like 4

steelman

Love the grill and headlights on that old girl. Look forward to seeing pics of the finished restore. 

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

the big wheeled horse I've always I think had a thing for I do wish they made a gear version of GT-14 or i'd be having one of those too well i'd take one anyways if the price was right

• Like 3

dells68

Got a little further today.  I got the motor finished up, foot rests on, wheels primed and painted (well, fronts anyway - just primed the rears as I hope to get to mount the ags I ordered last week mounted), and the grille and hood mounted.  Hope to have it finished by Wed.

On 7/16/2017 at 10:58 AM, TravelinJavelin said:

the big wheeled horse I've always I think had a thing for I do wish they made a gear version of GT-14 or i'd be having one of those too well i'd take one anyways if the price was right

I've actually got 2 GT14s.  One is all original and the other is powered by a 13.5 horse predator.  Both transmissions are in great shape.  Below is a picture of my wife riding the original GT14 and Emory beside her on his lawn ranger.

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG

• Like 8

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :text-goodpost:  :text-+1:

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                      Guess I better get to work on one of mine!              :text-bravo:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
On 7/16/2017 at 9:06 AM, TravelinJavelin said:

I think mine has been repainted once its a deeper red that the standard wheel horse color which I do like but I have been pondering my own paint scheme..........for some reason I keep pondering a turquoise and egg shell white color scheme

I'll be looking forward to pictures. ....

My b80 will be aqua/antique white /red at some point.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

You are going to need a bigger barn for the horses if you keep buying them. You have more energy than I do . Of course living up in the hills there is reduced humidity , not sure about the heat up there near or in the Blue Ridge, but it was a scorcher down here in the flat lands.    

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                Sharp Looking herd there.         :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

beautiful collection.......the GT-14's even look beefy next to the 953......only if they were geared I would definitely have one!:)

• Like 1

Rob XC700

Nice collection. 953 turned out great.

Paint question, since it was mentioned here. I'm new to this. Is there a standard "rattle can" that is a close match to the original colour, or do you have the paint mixed accordingly at a paint supplier? Has the colour always remained the same over the years, or did it change at different stages?

• Like 1

DennisThornton
11 hours ago, dells68 said:

Well, I'm pooped, but I managed to get 8 horses to our annual tractor show today along with my 8N Ford.  I got the 953 back together and running.  Still need to get my ags put on the rear and make my seat covers, but she's sitting in the field ready for the show with her other stablemates!  Below is a teaser pic of all 8 lined up.  953 is trying to hide in there too!  More pics to come later.

IMG_5401.JPG

Why do I like that so much? 

• Like 2

dells68
6 hours ago, Rob XC700 said:

Nice collection. 953 turned out great.

Paint question, since it was mentioned here. I'm new to this. Is there a standard "rattle can" that is a close match to the original colour, or do you have the paint mixed accordingly at a paint supplier? Has the colour always remained the same over the years, or did it change at different stages?

Thanks!  I have used Rustoleum regal red on our tractors.  Seems to be the closest rattle can match.  I think Farmall red is very comparable.  The only trouble I've had with rattle cans is they are so dependent on the temp and humidity.  I painted part of the 953 one morning with great results.  Painted the hood another with more humidity and got a lot duller finish.  Good thing is that you can cut and buff the rustoleum with good results if you are very careful.  Attached is a pic of the 953 hood after a cut and buff job.  You can see the reflection of the steering wheel and clouds.

IMG_5403.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Rob XC700

Thanks for the paint info. That hood looks pretty good for a rattle can, and a cut and buff. Can't complain about that at all.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Nice looking paint job.

Me and paint-on-metal aren't good friends....:no: :confusion-scratchheadblue:   :techie-reference:   

A skill I need to acquire for sure.

• Like 3

Electro12WH
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, TravelinJavelin said:

. . .for some reason I keep pondering a turquoise and egg shell white color scheme

barf.jpe.641d74a7f45068a76e2289130cf4b2b4.jpe

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin
58 minutes ago, Electro12WH said:

barf.jpe.641d74a7f45068a76e2289130cf4b2b4.jpe

sorry it was just a thought, I seen wheel horse's in ford blue and cub yellow and to me that's just not right either....I thought I wanted to be different

• Like 1