Amcwheel85

Hanging with the plow!

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            Ags will make a big difference for plowing.    Where were the kids? You always include your son and daughter.  :wwp:

• Like 2

squonk

That plow is hanging awful high. Are you going to have enough cable length for the plow to sink in when plowing? 

• Like 1

Amcwheel85
22 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:            Ags will make a big difference for plowing.    Where were the kids? You always include your son and daughter.  :wwp:

Well my in laws are down and they brought another little cousin so they were busy lol...

19 minutes ago, squonk said:

That plow is hanging awful high. Are you going to have enough cable length for the plow to sink in when plowing? 

Yea I got to figure out how I'm gonna go about lowering it. Just need to add 1-3 inches to the cable

• Like 1

JPWH

Maybe a small clevice and 2 or 3 links of small chain for additional length.

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, squonk said:

Best way to find out and set the plow angle is to put all four tires up on blocks (six inch or eight inch depending on how deep you want to plow) and let the plow down. Adjust it until the bottom of the plow is parallel with the floor.

• Like 5

T McCool

Very cool!

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

Thank for the help and compliments guys!

WHX??
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:40 AM, 953 nut said:

Best way to find out and set the plow angle is to put all four tires up on blocks (six inch or eight inch depending on how deep you want to plow) and let the plow down. Adjust it until the bottom of the plow is parallel with the floor.

We put just the left side up to simulate the tractor being in the furrow and only about four inches and go from there. We also do this on flat concrete  and set the land slide so that is just touching the floor and the point is up just a little. Then once you hit the dirt the conditions aren't what you expected and everything changes! :lol: Don't fret as most plow days there will be somebody there to offer advice and help you out. That's part of the fun of it! Wheel weights all the way around with extra in front helps. You don't have to go all gung ho to have fun.  I plowed on  the 1257 with turfs and a 601 with diamond turfs just for giggles and had a blast! Only problem was a slipping belt on the 1257, went to A TSC belt and she really grabs!

Nice 1045 no matter how you look at it! Thanks for the :text-coolphotos: :handgestures-thumbupright:

20161008_140509.jpg

20161029_130041.jpg

• Like 7

Amcwheel85

Thank so for the info and those pictures. I gotta get money around for weights next.

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack
On 7/17/2017 at 11:35 AM, Amcwheel85 said:

I gotta get money around for weights next.

That is a super cool little tractor and will look totalleee awesome with a set of 23x8.50-12 AG's or a set of 23x10.50-12's if you really want a more radical look!   

If if you are plowing in soft (light) soil, weights aren't a big deal.  However, if you want to plow at a large plow day in farmers fields like at Bluniers, you need weight--and lots of it!  

Some guys bring an extra 100 with them and they aren't likely to need as much:ph34r::ychain:  I'm an average sized guy and I run about 175lbs on the back of GhostRider and for the big plow days, I've actually thought about adding a little more...

IMG_3056.JPG.344e4a3b321ad48d769d9dc7ccbce556.JPG

(My six year old son at the helm of GhostRider!  Kids love plowing!). The other thing you find out quickly if ground conditions are tough, Horses are notoriously light in the front.  As you can see in the pic, my Uncle Roger helped me make a bracket to add about 65# to the quick attach. That helped my tractor a lot, before that I felt like I was riding a bucking bronc!  Another very important piece if you are going to do serious plowing on a :wh: is a good (think new factory--if you can get one) drive belt.  You have to keep that power getting from the motor to the rear end and that is your only link.  Cubs, JD's and a host of other tractors have driveshafts to accomplish this--on a horse, this is key!

IMG_3055.JPG.b44a5350b015a22892d8bae8a082c3c3.JPG

From this pic, you can see that furrow angle that @WHX11 is talking about. That is why you want to make preliminary adjustments with your plow on blocks on the left side only because your right tires are down in the furrow.  

IMG_3065.JPG.83d2361fe5d1d63d9db02d446b880cd4.JPG

If you really get into plowing, I suggest adding a rear led plow light.  They don't have to be expensive but they are important if you want to do any "night plowing".  If the conditions are right, night plowing is really fun.  However, you need to have lights to see where you are going, and what the plow is doing...

IMG_3063.JPG.fbe304ead9b8744c03a6629e432072eb.JPG

LED is a nice choice since it doesn't draw very much electricity.

Remember: you can plow with a tractor and a furrow plow and turn over a garden easily. However, if you want to have the best experience at a big plow day, these helpful hints above, are some of the things that I've learned over the years of doing it myself.  I wish you were closer to us, I'd invite you to come up to my Uncles Farm day in about 3 weeks.  You could get a lot of seat time on any of my rigs and get a feel for it!  

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 4

Sarge

Exactly the points above -I learned the hard way trying to read up on the subject , fought the plow and Horse something fierce , then went to a plow day locally and learned a lot in a very short time . Wheel weight is key as well as tire choice . You'll see a lot of them run one narrow, tall tire and the other non-furrow tire much wider , and even duals on one side . Weight is everything , the amount of pull on the tractor is huge and it needs all the weight it can get to stay in a straight line . The conditions in that video above is classic hard plowing in ground that looks a bit too wet by the way most were struggling . Trying to do it these days in fields that are zero till is almost a no-go for garden tractors . I used to take care of my 50'x100' garden with only a single bottom 10" Brinly , a Craftsman disk with concrete blocks and some occasional weed control with a little Mantis tiller . Worked great , albeit a lot of work to keep up with the weeds around here and our uber-rich soil . That first time plowing was an effort in futility trying to get it set up right - didn't have the correct offset at the rear axle to make the right width in the furrow line - rear right tire was far too wide . After the plow day I learned to swap that one out with a much more narrow tire and should have ran a standard 6x12 ag to really make it work right with the 23x8.50-12 left tire . Front ags and wheel weights worked well but an additional 50+lbs on the front axle seemed to help the most . All my tires were liquid filled with RV antifreeze , so that made a big difference . If I ever find a 12" 3pt plow for the Big D I might do another garden as I'm sick of buying junk veggies in the stores - sure miss my home-grown stuff ....

Sarge

• Like 1