pfrederi

3 Point Hitch woes

pfrederi

After using my new to me York rake Ihe 3 point started acting up. it wouldn't raise the rake very far.  First i thought hydro problem (it is a D series after all).  The cylinder would hold teh heavy (200+ lbs) rake up all night so that must be OK.  It would lift the rake a short distance even with me standing on it so there must have been adequate pressure (Doing a pressure test on a D is pain you have to remove the battery and tray....it is a D series..nothing is easy to work on.)

Turns out the weld on the rock shaft failed. This is the second rock shaft on this tractor when I got it the rock shaft had a problem some PO had tried to pin it but didn't get it aligned quite right.  I had it welded some more but couldn't correct the alignment.  Got a replacement a few years ago and that is what is on there now and failed.  Apparently the WH welder who did rock shafts needed  more welding training.

Bottom line if your 3 point acts up check the rock shaft weld

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

• Like 4

953 nut
27 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Apparently the WH welder who did rock shafts needed  more welding training

Must have been the afternoon prior to his vacation!      :ychain:

• Like 1

oldredrider

Seen quite a few Wheel Horse welds let go. It was production welding and all dependant on the operator and settings.

Aldon

@fast88pu has gone through a few rockshafts as well.

• Like 2

fast88pu
50 minutes ago, Aldon said:

@fast88pu has gone through a few rockshafts as well.

Poor welds and poor metal quality. I have rewelded them and still have had them break

• Like 1

Sarge

I've seen quite a few of those get mangled - it was a failed design to start with , and far too much leverage on that part given the weight of the components . I replaced mine when I got the D just due to someone else attempting to re-weld a broken one , and also cutting off part of it to clear some sort of obstruction or whatever . I did re-weld the joints in the replacement with the tig and ER80SD2 tool steel filler rod - that should exceed the steel that is there already easily . Not a fan of how they built the rockshaft stand either , those two posts aren't nearly heavy enough nor braced enough for the pressure the hydraulics and an implement can generate against it . If I ever have that section apart and the easy ride seat assembly out it's getting seriously beefed up....

Sarge

• Like 1