Anglo Traction

Mower Deck Bearing Question

Anglo Traction

UK based- In the process of refurbishing a Deck (05-36MR01) which is covered in a thread in this -LINK- .

I decided one of the Spindles (centre) had the slightest sign of resistance, so I pulled it apart. It was a mess in terms of botched workmanship/treatment in the past and took a lot of refinishing of the spindle etc.

Anyway, I have now received my new Bearing stock (yes- made in USA) and all parts ready for re assembly-

DSC01677.JPG.f6a91135f82dbdc65c78e7ad9bde4cb8.JPG

So before I proceed, I would like to know from seasoned Deck Refurbishers, Do you remove one of the 2 shields so that the original greasing system can be employed,

or do you fit them with double shields in place (sealed for life) and blank off the Zerk points?......(I could not obtain single shield bearings).

Also, I did search for answers on here, but found no relevant Threads on this.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt-NEPA

When I rebuilt my deck 2 years ago I faced the same decision.  The advise I got was to remove the inner shields to allow grease to reach the bearings and that is what I did.  But I still question the decision.  I am concerned that pumping new grease into the spindle will eventually pop the outer shield out of position and let water and dirt get in. 

• Like 1

doc724

I always use the double shielded bearings and I remove the zerk and replace with a 1/4-28 set screw (so no one can make a mistake and try to grease them).  The problem with one side shielded bearings is that if you squirt in too much grease you pop the other seal and now water can get inside the bearing.  Also, leave the key out when you reassemble-newer decks do not use keys.  That way if things get rusty and you have to disassemble in the future you can whack the spindle out with a brass hammer if needed.

• Like 2

Anglo Traction

Thanks Gents for the quick response. I felt it would be better to leave them double shielded and blank of the grease point, so I will go with that and pre-grease insides during assembly.

As for the Hi-Pro Key removal Don, yes, I have the Wheel Horse Service bulletin #429, but need to obtain the 3/4" Free Running nuts and the Lock Washers to replace the Nyloc Nuts fitted. I'll do that another time. I also want to locate a complete Spindle Ass'y for a spare unit, but little chance over here in UK.

Thanks again. 

JoeM

For me the "proof is in the pudding". I ran one deck for 15 years, (75-80 hours a year), greasing the spindles twice a summer.....no issues. Couple shots of a good grade of lithium based grease. I have taken several spindles apart for salvage and never seen a seal popped. I think running those spindles full of grease can help keep out water and dirt.

Looking at other applications, like the mule drive, it runs on sealed bearings. Lots of tension and load. They run a long time.

If you like to grease machinery, pop the seals........if not, leave r B.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I think this service bulletin has some merit to it also

Garry

• Like 2

Anglo Traction
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

I think this service bulletin has some merit to it also #248

Garry

Hello Garry, or should I call you Oracle !. I'm always amazed at your comprehensive knowledge and access to all of these WH records and your work on the WH Yahoo Group :bow-blue:.  Certainly merits perusal and to be mindful of correct installation of the Races. I like to do things 'By the Book'.

Also to acknowledge what Joe (OILUJ52) mentioned above. I agree with the principle of regular careful greasing and I'll continue to do that on the other 2 Spindles on the Deck until they show signs of giving up, where I'll convert them also.

Regards.

• Like 2

Anglo Traction

Reluctant to resurrect this thread, but it may give some clarity to the potential issues with only removing the INNER Shields on newly fitted Bearings.

I found that I had to pull one of the other Spindles on my Deck Refurb due tightness when torquing up the Pulley Nyloc Nut.

While doing so, I wanted check and photograph the layout of the Bearings in relation to the Grease channel or annulus, also the need for the Upper Oil Seal Shaft Collar to be correctly fitted with the cutouts next to the Bearing-

DSC01690.JPG.0b871d7243d6f8e4332f9405a2d6979f.JPG

Clearly, as can be seen, the upper New Bearing MUST have BOTH Shields removed to allow the grease to pass through the passageways and Shaft Collar cutouts.

It then passes through the Upper Bearing Race into the Chamber and to the lower Bearing (1 outer shield).

So if you want to continue greasing Spindles after a Bearing replacement, check the assembly and pull both of those Upper Shields

Components on this Spindle have had a hard life and mistreatment. I found these defects-

DSC01691.JPG.0970ec571bad8da739636c5b19e389be.JPG

I've got to make these components, as finding these parts in UK are like Unicorns and fortunately, I have the machines and materials.

I'm on the lookout for a Spindle Assembly for this Deck as a Spare if anybody has one and prepared to ship to UK ?:pray:.......

Edit ...prayers may have been answered, think I have found one.

Regards 

Edited by Anglo Traction