jrandyg

Carb upgrade on HH60

jrandyg

Hi all,

i think I remember someone posting about carb upgrades/replacements for increased power. Would be a couple years back maybe. I'm almost ready to fire the ole 656 up.

i know you'll want pictures. I have many. I'll have to make my pics more manageable.  Can someone give any advise on carbs though?

thanks in advance...

randy

KC9KAS

I recently bought an aftermarket carb for my 654 and it was a direct fit, but I still can't get the Techy started!

jrandyg

Good luck KC. I hope you get 'er started.

Thanks 953. A bit more than I bargained for but what a resource!

please continue to post suggestions.

I, like most, got her to tinker with. Didn't run at first. Tinkered away and pop she fired. Never did get much more out it than a quick spin around the yard before I tore it down to the chassis. She's nearly back together now. Cleaned and pretty again. Well pretty-er at least. Refurbished, restored, whatever. Haven't touched the engine other than taking it off in the process. Now I'm putting the ignition and fuel system back on and thought maybe a bit more power might be in order. I'm not a mechanic but sure can tinker! My thinking is if I could get it to run after god knows how long then maybe I can get it to run better too...

I'll try the basics, like the engine manual for proper timing and settings first. Sounds simple, throw a bit more fuel at it. I know that usually means the other systems should be upped too. Kinda hoping someone goes, " here, do this(x)" and presto, its more better faster. Anyone got a magic ward for rent? 

randy

• Like 2

ACman

The 656 in my stable ran great until we cleaned the carb :scratchead: ... now there's to much play in the throttle and choke shafts. While at the big show I was asking around about carbs . Some guy overheard my conversation, grabbed a Walbro carb said find one with the correct linkages on top and you'll have no more problems . Now to find that carb...anyone have an idea which Walbro carb that would be ? @buckrancher any ideas?

slammer302

Ive used a couple aftermarket carbs that seemed to work well. I had a h60 with a carb off a Kohler k181 on it seems to bolt up directly if you remove the adapter plate that teckys use also had to make the linkage myself.

Howie

I am not sure you will feel much with a larger carb without further upgrades. Like camshaft and up the compression and maybe more rpm.

I have an H60 here I built years ago .030 over, ports opened up, .040 or .050 ground off the bottom of the cam lobes for more lift. Head was 

cut about .040 also and it had a billet aluminum rod in it. An eight horse carb would not flow enough to feed it. Never did any more to it after

the cam rework was going to put a Mukuni carb on it.

jrandyg

Thanks guys. I should work on the tuning(which knew anyway) for more than just the time to get it started and hop on. I'm reminded of the years spent reading about cars and the miles of data about complimentary upgrades.

i was hoping a smaller engine might be a bit simpler.

randy

jrandyg

Ok guys and gals. She runs after a few years apart. Woo-hoo!!!!

now for driveline belts and pulleys.

ill report again soon. Of course the belts are probably original. Im hopeful for an evening cruise around the yard though.....

randy

• Like 1

jrandyg

After some more tinkering I was able to cruise the yard and up and down my block. Felt good to do. Original untouched carb needs some attention. I'll try a rebuild kit. Putting the mowing deck back on this week. I hope to mow soonly. A friend convinced me to get it back together. He reminded me that it's just a mower and not a show car. Now, I wonder if I can get that RJ I know of. Gotta have something to tinker with again.

thanks for the site and the help

randy

• Like 1