scott ostrander

Does the gear reduction steering make enough of a difference to justify the work and money to put it on my C 195 or should I go with power steering?  

roadapples

Gear reduction steering is a big help but I doubt it's as good as power steering. I added trailer hubs and tires. The tires are 6 ply and hold 70 psi. That was a big difference. High psi tires is where I'd start...

• Like 6

953 nut

:WRS:         I presume you have a front end loader and are attempting to overcome the added front weight and resulting steering difficulty. In addition to the stiffer tires weight box behind the rear of the tractor will be helpful. Also you could install a pair of thrust bearings with thrust washers on the front spindles.

INA-TC1220-Needle-Thrust-Bearing-Bore-750-InINA-TWA1220-Thrust-Washer-Inside-Dia-0-75-In

• Like 1

scott ostrander

No front end loader. Just had both shoulders and my elbo rebuilt and  age is setting in. Just looking for a little easier steering. The thrust bearing is a great idea. Thank you. Where all would you put the thrust bearings ? I would guess the bottom of the spindles ? Thanks for the wonderful wisdom. 😀

• Like 1

littleredrider

I just put the steering reduction on my 520, and with the tri-ribs it steers super easy. I hooked the plow blade up and didn't even notice it was on, but then it's not super heavy to begin with. It was relatively easy to put on, had to take some parts off to get in but not bad.....

• Like 2

cschannuth

My old C-161 didn't steer all that hard but it needed new front tires so I installed tri-ribs. I was amazed at how much easier it steered. I almost can't tell when the generator or the 54" snow blade are installed.  If you need tires, I highly recommend them. 

• Like 3

scott ostrander

Thank you. This is the input I was looking for. It looks like it's going to cost me about  $250 to do this upgrade. I was hoping to hear it made a difference before spending the money on it. Or possibly just fabricating power steering if there was not much difference with the gear reduction steering. Thanks again for your help. 

• Like 3

953 nut
5 hours ago, scott ostrandet said:

Where all would you put the thrust bearings ? I would guess the bottom of the spindles

You would have to remove the spindles, cut or grind enough material from the top of the axle to compensate for the bearing and washer then put the bearing and washer on the spindles and reinstall them.

• Like 3

Aldon

My buddy in Indiana is injured veteran. He swears by the Gear Reduction set up.

If he is ok with it my guess is most would be.

• Like 4

edwroy

I've added 520H gear reduction to my '82 C195. I also added thrust bearings. Makes a difference in steering.

Edwroy

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

• Like 6

slammer302

Does the v61's help with steering?

Aldon

In my opinion yes.

@fast88pu has them as well. I can't recall if he has them on his loader GT14. 

He may chime in later about the Vredsteins 5 ribs from that perspective.

ebinmaine
On 7/14/2017 at 6:10 AM, 953 nut said:

:WRS:         I presume you have a front end loader and are attempting to overcome the added front weight and resulting steering difficulty. In addition to the stiffer tires weight box behind the rear of the tractor will be helpful. Also you could install a pair of thrust bearings with thrust washers on the front spindles.

INA-TC1220-Needle-Thrust-Bearing-Bore-750-InINA-TWA1220-Thrust-Washer-Inside-Dia-0-75-In

Really like this idea.:thumbs:

With the oversized and fluid-filled tires on the front of my rig these would help reduce effort and wear and tear.

Where do we purchase the bearing set?

• Like 1

953 nut

PM sent.

fast88pu
On July 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Aldon said:

In my opinion yes.

@fast88pu has them as well. I can't recall if he has them on his loader GT14. 

He may chime in later about the Vredsteins 5 ribs from that perspective.

They are slightly harder to steer on a loader tractor then the stock ones but still easy. 

IMG_20170610_153137.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 7/15/2017 at 7:13 PM, 953 nut said:

PM sent.

I don't think I ever got your PM....

953 nut

:hide:      Sorry, I had sent it to Scott, the originator of this post, I will copy you too.

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:hide:      Sorry, I had sent it to Scott, the originator of this post, I will copy you too.

Meh... no apologies needed.:thumbs::text-thankyoublue:

• Like 1