Spencer)sky

Looking for year and value for Wheel Horse Automatic 12

Spencer)sky

Going through my father-in-laws estate we came across his old garden tractor. It is a Wheel Horse Automatic 12 if the decals are correct. It has a snow blower attached and has a three blade mower deck that is not currently attached. I know he used this until about five years ago primarily for snow removal. I would like to be ably to place the year it was made and an idea of value if possible. Hope the attached photos are helpful.IMG_20170713_100402023.jpg.004d395842b78a5ee3f65f02eb8e6b5c.jpg

IMG_20170713_100329927.jpg

IMG_20170713_100431988_TOP.jpg

IMG_20170713_100442093_TOP.jpg

IMG_20170713_100533552.jpg

• Like 2

Spencer)sky

The mower deck has this tag on it.

Mower Deck Serial number.jpg

953 nut

:WRS:       You have a 1973 and from the looks of the photos it seems to be in nice condition. Once it is running and the transmission can be proven to function properly I would think It might bring about $ 700 as a package deal.

• Like 6

Spencer)sky

Appreciate the quick response! Would that price include the snow blower and mower deck attachments? Thinking fresh fluids and battery is all it will take to get ir running.

daveoman1966

I bought this same tractor and it is the NO-NAME year of 1973.  Simply called a '12 HP Auto'.  In 1974 this was changed to a C-120 and there main differences are :1) '73 has a 10-pinion differential and '74 (and later) have the 8-pinnion diff.  2) Motion control lever was moved from 'between your knees' to the motion lever (taller) being on the right side near the steering wheel.   

Great tractor...hard to beat and I like the autos for lawn mow and snow plowing.

• Like 4

953 nut
10 minutes ago, Spencer)sky said:

Would that price include the snow blower and mower deck attachments?

Yes, the chains and wheel weights might add another $ 100, but if you try to price the unit too high most people will be turned off. The average home owner looking for a mower/blower will hesitate to pay that much for a 44 year old machine and most of us who have several of them don't need another deck and blower so they add a marginal amount to the package price. You could look on Craig's list in your area to get an idea of what other brands are bringing and price it accordingly.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
14 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

Great tractor...hard to beat and I like the autos for lawn mow and snow plowing.

I'm with Dave on this one......If I could only have one tractor, the 12HP auto would be my choice and this looks like a good one.

I agree with Richard, $700 is probably what you could expect to get for this unit to quickly  settle an estate,  but when I actually break down the tractor and implements, the value goes up quite a bit.

SS snow blower    $200

42" SD deck w/DD pulleys and possibly new blades and belts    $300

WH  wheel weights   $100

chains  $20

electric PTO clutch   $100

two piece seat in nearly  perfect condition  $150

I am in no way suggesting you part out this unit,  just noting prices of similar equipment I have seen sold recently.

Although I would advertise the blower and deck separate from the tractor.  I have found many buyers are only in need of a deck or a blower or just the tractor.

If I owned this tractor, I would be reluctant to sell it for less than $1000,  but this looks like one that I would keep for myself.

My three sense, scents, cents.

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  Ditto...on the 1K pkg deal...or darn close to it.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Once someone puts the time into it...that :wh: is really going to clean up nicely.  

welcomewagon.gif.17430cdf1803a108d922823d0cca959f.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.e2ecfd131d38cba32166c88419140523.png

• Like 1

WHX??

Ed's expertise about horses is showing and he's spot on. Do keep in mind that those figures can go up and, unfortunately, down depending on you part of the country. None the less a nice :wh: and has a lot of life left in her. Big thing is yes, get it running and cleaned up. Definitely going to want to do something with the battery & cables. Fresh fluids, gas, filter etc. Word of warning tho...folks have been known to fall in love with these! :)

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

That mower deck has the cast iron pulleys and the blade spindles are superior to the aluminum ones that followed IMO. The center drive pulley is getting very hard to find replacements for and get out your wallet. It took me a year to locate one. Some people think that the blades are NLA for the deck, but aftermarket supplies them.

I have a 12 [and also just got a 14] auto and would not soon part with them.

• Like 2

Tankman

How badly do you need / want to move the Horse?  $700 the Horse might move quickly.

Excellent "machine."  :handgestures-thumbupright:

WH-Moons.jpg.472b6ad93f1560560d1f20d1a3fa3a8e.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
10 minutes ago, Tankman said:

How badly do you need / want to move the Horse?  $700 the Horse might move quickly.

Excellent "machine."  :handgestures-thumbupright:

WH-Moons.jpg.472b6ad93f1560560d1f20d1a3fa3a8e.jpg

If those vintage hub caps were included in the package it would seal the deal!     :ychain:

• Like 3