Firebug

D200 vs c series

Firebug

Can anyone tell me what the big difference between a c series and d series is. I recently picked up a 74 d 200 that I was going to have restored. Currently not running but I think it just needs the carb rebuilt and fresh fuel as it has been sitting. I also found what I think is a c 195 although he has it advertised as a d 200, not great pics but the dashboard looks like a c series. It has a front end loader on it and a 3 point, don't know about the pto. He's asking 2200 in running condition. Don't know if it's a good price. I've contemplated selling the d 200 to pick it up or buying it and putting the loader on the 200. But I don't know how long it would take to sell or what the c is worth. And I really hate to tie up the money till it sell. Don't really want to sell the 200 though. Just wanted to see what some of the other guys would do in a similar situation. Really could use the loader as I have about 4 projects the wife and I want to do around the property where I could use it. 

Sarge

If that is indeed a C-195 , it's on odd animal and with a loader even more odd . Everything is heavier on that C than a normal 10-16hp model - it's built much closer to a D series than anything else and if you have a chance to grab it - I wouldn't hesitate . Price is what it is , there aren't many of them and the loader is where the real money is if everything is working and in good shape . The D is a bit heavier and built pretty heavy all around but they have their own issues - so it's a toss up as to which one to own , but I'd do anything I could to own both as they are some brutal workers . Just be prepared for some expensive parts as their numbers are low and a lot of stuff is discontinued . If you don't buy it , let others know so someone else can get it so it isn't scrapped or something stupid done to it - that one would be a restore really worth something .

Research that model deeply , I think in our manuals section there is a manual for the Super C-195...worth a read .

Sarge

• Like 4

Firebug

Would it be worth selling my 74 d 160 to get it? The 160 has a belly mower and that's what I use to maintain my yard. But I have a woods 3 point mower that I could use on either of the other tractors to do the same if that's what it came down to. Would love to keep them all but I don't think that's an option. The 160 was my first horse and what started it for me. The 200 is a 74 and knowing what it is I couldn't pass it up with the woods mower for $400, but I think I would get a lot of use out of the loader. Unfortunately I'm not finding a loader that I could put on the 200. Just doesn't seem that they are readily available 

• Like 1

lwhaples

I have a D160 with a loader that I just picked up. Also have a C195 and plan to put the loader on it. Really like the C195.

• Like 2

Firebug

I have to research it more, just not to familiar with the c series. I really like the "beefy" look of the d series. i don't see why the c wouldnt do everything the the 200 will but it seems that 74 200's  are about as hard to come across as a loader. Will the loader on a c bolt directly on a d or is there going to be some fabrication involved. Was the c a hydrostatic drive like the d?

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Both the c-195 and the D use a hydro drive.  You mentioned using a Woods finishing mower with the c or d , I maybe mistaken but I think the rear PTO 's on the C and D's run at a different RPM than most tractors the use the Woods mowers. I am sure folks with more knowledge will be along soon to answer your questions. Sorry I just reread the thread where you said the D200 can with the Woods mower. Price wise you really lucked out.

I know C195 don't come along often and with a loader that is unusual. I would love to have a tractor with a loader. I know loader come up for sale sometimes but they are not cheap.Couple of guys on the forum have build loaders for the their tractors. Building a loader is well beyond my skill set.

• Like 3

roadapples

You'll love the loader....:handgestures-thumbupright:

Pollack Pete

Personally,I'd keep them all.It's only money and we're here on earth only for a visit.Each tractor you mention will have a specific use in your yard.I have a couple D series.I have 4 or 5 C-195's.Any part I've ever needed,I find right here in the classified section,or that big on-line auction site.Ya just gotta be patient when looking for parts.Nice thing about owning multiple tractors is that when one is down and waiting for parts,you have others to use.Good luck.I'd love to have the 195 with loader that you're talking about.

• Like 2

Sarge

The C and D will basically share the same Sundstrand pump - there can be some differences in how they are laid out but basically the same . Biggest difference in them is the D is directly coupled to the engine (via a flex coupling) where the C it is belt driven . The belt is a lot easier to deal with than the coupling and the C is much simpler to work on . If that coupling in the D becomes damaged/stripped they are no longer available and can be tough to find as it was sort of an Achilles heel for the D series . There is no easy solution and if that coupler fails just right - it will take out the splines on the D's hydro pump , stopping it in it's tracks right there . All the C's are extremely capable tractors - somewhat able to punch well above their weight class . The D was the early equivalent to a compact utility but they had some serious weak points , have a horrible turning radius and their size can be a problem . Keep in mind , not all 3pt accessories built for Cat 0 or Cat 1 will work - the pto of the D's is 2000rpm , only the Wheel Horse tiller and the special built Woods mower where really available . A lot of this depends on your skill level to do repairs or mods - either model you have to be prepared to have times where you have to wait for parts - that's why so many of us have multiple tractors and it can be a job to keep them in working order . This stuff isn't new - both those models are 40+yrs old and finding rebuild engine parts and such is no easy task - D series connecting rods are like winning the Lotto ...

Again , if there is any way you could pull it off - I'd try for both . If nothing else , they hold a very good value and down the road in the right condition would pay you back .

Sarge

• Like 2

Firebug

I just talked to him, he isn't sure what he has, can't find any numbers on it. Said he was claiming it was a d 200 by the motor size and that it weighs over 1000 lbs. if I remember right the c series was nearly 900 lbs. with the loader that  would put it over 1000. 

• Like 1

953 nut

Probably a bit more than that. My GT-14 with loader, loaded tires, wheel weights, Front end loader and a weight box is 1,450 pounds.

DTOM

I spoke to the guy last week an he sent me pictures of the tractor. Its a 1982-83 C195 with an ark 550 loader. It has a replacement kohler 20hp magnum in it. I told him what he has but since it has a 20hp motor in it he thinks its a D200. I tried to educate him but he is a little stubborn.  It doesnt have a 3point or a pto, the seat pan is gone and a bunch of things here and there. 

953 nut
8 hours ago, DTOM said:

he thinks its a D200. I tried to educate him but he is a little stubborn.

Image result for don't confuse me with facts

• Like 1

DTOM

Exactly. Lol

Firebug

So with that being said, I'm starting to think his price might be a little out of reach. I know the loader is worth a good chunk of change but it sounds like it's going to take some coin to make the tractor right. I'm not looking for a show tractor or something original as far as the motor goes, I'm going to work it, which is what it was designed for. But without the pto or 3 point hitch, I don't think I'd be able to recover much of my cost if I put the loader on my 200 and sold the 195. I'm sure if I'm patient enough I'll find a complete loader for less than the price of that minus the tractor. I've found a few other loaders like a sears kwik way. Don't know what it would take to fab that to my frame. But I'm starting to think there might be some other more cost effective options.