Bwk719

GT 1142 briggs 11hp lock up diagnosis

Bwk719

Hey everyone first time poster here,

I am a little perplexed with the engine issue I recently had. While cutting the grass the other day my mower obviously began to overheat so I shut it off to let it cool off awhile. When trying to start it back up I heard a loud ping and the starter could not turn the flywhee. I checked the oil and it was low, but not at the danger level. 

I got down to the flywheel and realized it would only turn about a turn or turn and a half in either direction. Doing some reading on the forum here, I thought it would be a failed connecting rod. I pulled it all apart and got into the crank case and nothing was damaged. All the gears spun beautifully and there was no damaged metal. When I put the crank case back together the flywheel now spins indefinitely as it should. Any ideas as to what happened to make it lock up?  Could it have anything to do with the lower oil point shutoff? 

Thanks, 

Brian

N3PUY

Well, if it is turning more than a turn that means the crank is making more than a complete revolution. :think:

So it's not a rod/piston problem.:greetings-clappingyellow:

But the cam would be turning less than a full turn. :think:

Something amiss with the cam gear?  Compression release? Stuck valve? Carbon on top of the valve? Something in the cam gear? :huh:

:twocents-02cents:

Bwk719

I pulled everything out and all seems to be in order. Maybe something was stuck and I was able to get it to loosen up when I took it all apart?