Searcher60

Tecumseh C-160, Opinion

Searcher60

Hello everyone. What do you guys think of the C-160 with the original Tecumseh OHV engine? Is it worth having? Or should I start running. It's need an engine overhaul. Thanks.

Jerry77

I didn't know the C160 ever came with a Tecumseh engine..learn something new every day...welcome to red square...:text-welcomeconfetti:

Thisguyisnew

That would be awesome. I have heard of this but just thought it was a myth like the Easter bunny or the Queen of England.

chip61

I'd want it just because it's unusual, but I think Techy parts are hard to come by and expensive. If it's priced right you could always find a K or M series for it if the Techy proves to be too much of a project.

• Like 1

953 nut

My thoughts are much like Chip, do a little research on the availability and price of parts before you pull the trigger on that one unless you plan to re-power it (which I feel would defeat the purpose of buying it). It is a very cool looking engine, makes it stand out from the crowd. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

Yea, they made some 12hp and 16hp C-series with Teckys. I was thinking they called the 16's a C-162 but I'm not sure. If the price and condition was right a Kohler swap is a piece of cake.:)

Terry M

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a slight hood modification on the c-160s equipped with the OHV  Tecumseh engine. 

Just a thought.....

Racinbob

I'm thinking it was the hinge part Terry. It raised the hood up an inch or so.

Terry M
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I'm thinking it was the hinge part Terry. It raised the hood up an inch or so.

yep, Bob....I believe you are correct. :)

Searcher60

Yea, I am thinking I'd rather invest in as older Horse. Trade everything for the right Suburban with a deck and plow. I already got one C-160 with a lot of money tied up in it. 

Sarge

The C-160 , in any flavor is about the toughest and most versatile Horse built - there is a reason they are highly sought after in the market ....

If that odd model actually exists and the Techy is in bad shape , wonder if the elusive K-361 would fit it ??

Sarge

Searcher60

It exists. I had my hands on it. I got pics, how do I downsize to post? 

Searcher60

Here it is, I think....

IMG_1014.JPG

• Like 3

Searcher60

What's it worth? It's average rough. Engine runs but smokes so bad neighbors would call police.

Sarge

For that particular Techy ? Not a whole lot unless someone is sitting on a rebuild kit or parts and is looking for a decent block ....it is an oddball .

They did do some interesting things in competition with the other engine builders - that one is a bit far off the zip code though...

Sarge

Bert

That's one of my bucket list tractors.  Am I the only :rs: member that likes the horizontal cast iron 10-16 horse power Tecumseh? :hide:

Edited by Bert
  • Like 1