Sign in to follow this  
Old Iron

burning oil

Old Iron

I changed the oil in the 1057 (K241). I just had the tractor given to me over the summer and finnally changed the black oil. I filled it with straight 30 weight.

Well, I just got in from plowing the couple of inches of fresh snow and she's burning oil. It smoked a little before but it was low on oil so that's why it was clearing up. Now that it is full there is a pretty good amount of smoke.

My question is, could I use one of the stop leak oil addatives to help the problem untill I can tear it down and rebuild? I'm not sure if that stuff is bad for small engines. Thanks.

pfrederi

You said "stop leak" but it sounds like what you meant was something like STP Motor Honey or something like it. Most of them are just some kind of thickener.. You are already using 30 w which is inappropriately heavy for winter snowplowing. (and still burning oil so I doubt Motor honey would have much impact. Get the oil to thick and the splash lubrication of the motor will be degraded (especially in the cold) and actually wear will be increased. Once they start burning oil there isn't much you can do short of opening them up. If you still want to use it let it burn the oil and just keep topping it off....

Old Iron

Thanks Paul, that's what I thought. Yeah, I was thinking of "Restore" or something similar. I was thinking it would just make it to thick.