ebinmaine

'74 B80 tow rating and rear implement weight ?

ebinmaine

I sorta think I read somewhere that even the smaller :wh: can pull 1000 pounds or more, given the right circumstances.... I know there's a Bunch of variables but is there such a thing as a "standard" capability ? 

Jerry77

Don't know about your WH, but my 314-8 pulled a two wheel farm type trailer loaded with 3000 pounds of wood may times out of the woods behind my place..up hill and down made no difference - I don't know, but suspect that it would pull several tons on wheels....if it ever spun the wheels I imagine it would be time to stop...:)

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

if it ever spun the wheels I imagine it would be time to stop

that's what I go by now...:P

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:     it will pull a lot more than it is capable of stopping, be careful! 

• Like 9

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:     it will pull a lot more than it is capable of stopping, be careful! 

Very true. .... 

And part of what prompted me to build the universal hitch. 

If the trailer rolls,  the tractor stays upright. 

10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The trees will stop me. 

:thumbs:

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The trees will stop me.

:auto-ambulance:   Yes they will!

• Like 2

Racinbob

Like Richard said, stopping is an issue. Also keeping the front end down. I used to move a 30' travel trailer with my 76 and I would put the snowblower on it as well as keeping the tongue jack wheel just a couple inches off the ground. Thinking back I'm surprised I didn't break anything. I often pulled a 225 gallon sprayer tank full of water to give seedlings a drink. It was balanced such that keeping the front down wasn't a problem but going down couple of hills got a bit iffy when it wanted to push the tractor. :auto-swerve:

I'd suggest to just use common sense (that I was likely lacking back then) and think about what could happen. If something does happen the results might not be pretty.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

just use common sense

:ROTF:

What izz thaaat !!??

Ok really though.....  All good advice and very true. And appreciated.

Keeping the front down won't be to much of an issue with 20x8x8 fluid filled tires out there..... it weighs 170lbs more than stock.

I'm Definitely concerned about the Whoa more than the Go.

:scared-eek:

• Like 2

Sarge

Stopping is always the issue when pulling a load . Lot of folks ask me what truck can pull what and such - that's not the question to ask , it's whether or not the truck can safely stop that load . Pulling something much larger than the tractor also becomes a real issue if the load pushes it sideways - you can end up under the trailer pretty easily and it's has happened in the past .

Common sense isn't so common these days - so just be careful and consider the consequences if it all goes wrong.

Sarge

• Like 3

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Stopping is always the issue when pulling a load . Lot of folks ask me what truck can pull what and such - that's not the question to ask , it's whether or not the truck can safely stop that load . Pulling something much larger than the tractor also becomes a real issue if the load pushes it sideways - you can end up under the trailer pretty easily and it's has happened in the past .

Common sense isn't so common these days - so just be careful and consider the consequences if it all goes wrong.

Sarge

Agreed !

Sarge

Just as an example - pulled the contents of my small shed on my 6.5'x12' utility trailer , or about 5,000lbs of stuff including the sand blaster and all it's blasting media (450lbs of it) . D-180 pulled it fine at first , until the front half was in the street to make the lap to position the trailer to re-load the stuff in the shed - and promptly broke the engine coupler/pump shaft on the Sundstrand pump . Now , I've got a crippled tractor with a stuck tow valve , and a heavy trailer sitting on the 3pt hitch , raised up nice and high .

So, get the High Lift jack out of the other shed , lift up the trailer and get it off the tractor - check .

Drove a 1/4" hitch pin through the hole that was drilled in the coupler/shaft last winter the last time it broke/stripped to replace the grade 8 bolt so I could limp it out back , vibrating like mad the whole time at idle....check.

Jump in the Dodge pickup , go around out front and back up to the trailer - check .

Trailer too high and Hi-Lift is in the way , lower trailer jack and remove Hi-lift - check .

Start backing up truck watching the hitch in the rear camera , almost got under the ball but the ball seems to be moving away to one side ....wtf ? Check Mate....duh .

The front frame and tongue of the trailer couldn't take the weight sitting off on one member where the jack was holding it up (2x2 angle iron , really ??) - so the whole thing slowly twisted until the trailer jack was laying on it's side , on the ground . Stand there for a minute and assess the situation , utter several choice words and drive chocks under front/rear of the trailer tires . Go back to shed , get the stupid Hi-Lift and pick up the nose of the now mangled trailer - check .

Take 3 attempts to hook up the truck , got it the 3rd time and set it on the ball hitch , latched it down and removed the Hi-Lift - then tossed the jack on the trailer and leave rubber halfway around the block with the Hemi - check .

Back what's left of the trailer , and the slew of stuff strewn around it up to the shed - time for a beer or three and reflect on my own stupidity . Unload the trailer into the shed , reminding myself

the whole time just how much this stuff weighs and swearing heavily the whole time - wife asks at dinner what all the commotion was about - "don't ask , you don't want to know" ....

Waiting for the local steel supply to get my 2x3x1/4 rectangular tubing to build a new tongue along with a new coupler - and  a much heavier jack . Pretty sure when I'm done that will never bend again....lesson learned .

Still working on the D and it's pump problem , that turned out to be a whole other can of worms...ugh .

Btw- shed has a very nice , stout new floor under it , which is what started all this in the first place .

Sarge

• Like 6

ebinmaine

HAHHAHHHHAHAHAHAAA

OMG Sarge. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :-).

I got a nice 16 x 20 ft Workshop building up in Maine that needs the floor reinforced if you're interested.

Sarge

Well , it's quite a trip , and we're gonna need a lot bigger jack to pick it up . This was a simple 8x8 shed that a previous neighbor built and had used 5 - 2x4's as floor joists . Needless to say , the little Green lawn tractor was fine , but when the 16 Auto got parked in there , it just kept going dowwwnnnn....grrr . Wasn't a fun job and as most sheds the floor sheathing was under the wall plates - so I cut it apart with a sawzall and angle grinder , added some supports and jacked the whole thing up off the floor . The D came in really handy to help remove the floor , lift one end of the shed and other tasks . The replacement could hold my pickup easily - so that won't happen again . Had to do most of the work alone , but I got it done and only had one incident where it fell off the blocks due to a heavy  storm/wind here - that ruined one whole day picking it back up .

59676d86609df_20170613_1107331.jpg.c8667da32e2c3944d7fc2c57a28a15de.jpg

59676de768a26_20170616_1653421.jpg.86dd9f21aa8745eda7a1c9c9e4957693.jpg

59676e1f3f7dd_20170616_2005171.jpg.93c56bc878daa5df292bdc06a27c6c2c.jpg

59676e9cacabe_20170622_2041381.jpg.94fbdbca201a711b9899cf3d19453ace.jpg

Sundstrand pump carnage -

59676f59d94dc_20170627_2029001.jpg.c05a5f567480faee386710920b2352b8.jpg

Some lessons come harder than others - buy you learn either way .

Sarge

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Nice job on that shed floor !