Deadguy

656 or Lawn Ranger?

Deadguy

I could be doing some Horse shopping, and I have two to choose from, and at about the same price.  There is a 656 and a 1967 Lawn Ranger.  Both have Tecys, both have decks, both claim to need carb work, both probably need tires. Both look decent, but the paint on the 656 looks a little better.  I need a little help making up my mind.  Which would you choose and why?

520hC-120

I would choose the 656. One because the paint is better, two because it's a garden tractor not a lawn tractor, and three because it is more rare. That's why I think that the 656 is better. Carb work and tires should be easy fixes too :) and in my opinion the 656 looks a lot better

Edited by 520hC-120
  • Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:         One more thing, if you have a problem with the Tecy you could replace it with a K181 and make it an 856.

• Like 1

T-Mo

Not seeing any pictures and just going by the tractor models alone, my vote would also be the 656.

Deadguy

Uh oh, my wife tells me the Ranger is cuter....

Silly me!  How could I have forgotten the pictures!

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

• Like 4

ACman

We have both in our stable . The Ranger seems to have more seat time on it lately even from the big kids :) . Can we get some :text-coolphotos: ?

• Like 1

Deadguy

I already have a Ranger, and it gets a lot of seat time.  It is a very handy little machine.  

• Like 3

Achto

If you don't want both, then I would vote for the 656. Bigger tractor that is more versatile when it comes to attachments.

BTW any chance that you'll make it to the Symco thresheree 7/28-7/30? We'll be doing a little GT plowing & The Nitty Gritty Dirt band is playing Fri. night.

• Like 3

N3PUY

656 :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

Terry M

Lawn Ranger...:hide:

• Like 1

Deadguy
23 minutes ago, Achto said:

If you don't want both, then I would vote for the 656. Bigger tractor that is more versatile when it comes to attachments.

BTW any chance that you'll make it to the Symco thresheree 7/28-7/30? We'll be doing a little GT plowing & The Nitty Gritty Dirt band is playing Fri. night.

We are actually hoping to be there!

• Like 2

Achto
14 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

We are actually hoping to be there!

Looking forward to meeting you! There will be a few other RS members there as well.

Edited by Achto

ACman
53 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

I already have a Ranger, and it gets a lot of seat time.  It is a very handy little machine.  

If I'd known that of course 656 :) !

gregg'shorses

Reminds me of this oldie from the 60's 

• Like 3

gregg'shorses

Reminds me of this oldie from the 60's 

• Like 1

Deadguy
19 minutes ago, Achto said:

Looking forward to meeting you! There will be a few other RS members there as well.

Are we allowed to bring Horses? My little guy really wants to bring his 551.

rmaynard

Heck, just buy both and be done with it.

• Like 2

Deadguy
2 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Heck, just buy both and be done with it.

If someone else doesn't beat me to one!

Achto
12 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

Are we allowed to bring Horses? My little guy really wants to bring his 551.

Horse's are most certainly allowed, I know of at least 7 other :wh: that will be there. If you wish, you can do a little plowing. Here's a pic from last year.DSCN0997.jpg.51cc142f829096e054f8de038af16c77.jpg

• Like 3

Uncle Buck

656 Would be my choice too. I have a LR and it is fine but I would opt for the bigger machine myself.

Deadguy
18 minutes ago, Achto said:

Horse's are most certainly allowed, I know of at least 7 other :wh: that will be there. If you wish, you can do a little plowing. Here's a pic from last year.DSCN0997.jpg.51cc142f829096e054f8de038af16c77.jpg

The poster for the event says that all motored vehicles have to be registered at the gate and certificates of insurance have to be provided.   Does this apply to our little Horses, because I do not have special insurance for those, nor did I even know such a thing existed.

Achto
2 minutes ago, Deadguy said:

The poster for the event says that all motored vehicles have to be registered at the gate and certificates of insurance have to be provided.   Does this apply to our little Horses, because I do not have special insurance for those, nor did I even know such a thing existed

This applies to vehicles that will be used as transportation on the grounds. If your going to show your tractors or do some plowing it does not really apply to them. If in doubt, grab a copy of your home owners ins., they'll except that.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Waitress :   You want strawberry pie or apple pie?

Me:   BOTH

• Like 3

Deadguy
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

This applies to vehicles that will be used as transportation on the grounds. If your going to show your tractors or do some plowing it does not really apply to them. If in doubt, grab a copy of your home owners ins., they'll except that.

Great.  Now I have to choose between bringing the 551 OR a plowing tractor!  

• Like 2

Achto

Bring 'em both!! If you short on trailer space, PM me I can stop by & haul one.

• Like 2