tallen4392

Front tires for snow plowing

tallen4392

I have been looking on here trying to get some info on what is best front tire for pushing. Snow ag or what else u goys use  thanks 

andyk

I've had good luck with stock turf tread,WP_20140302_002.jpg.249c9b5035604a208fcfb5744edcc4bc.jpg59642581db7c3_20160122_1711001.jpg.95a3d71ebc2700b23346f3927aa1ee56.jpg

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

Me too...standard turfs, no chain on front...works fine for Michigan's "snow"...

bds1984

I have a dedicated plow tractor, 1988 520H, that has loaded ags on in reverse and with a 25 pound weight bolted to the wheel.  It actually steers pretty good except when I'm trying to push a big pile of wet snow while turning or when it is super icy out!  

wallfish

Wrap the center of the front tires with #40 roller chain. Put them on tight with the tire deflated, then air them up and steer like it's on rails.

Buy a 10ft length and an extra master link for about $20 or so. Don't use bicycle chain because it tends to roll on the tire.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I try to plow before it gets over 6 inches so most of the time I'm OK but last winter we got 3ft overnight!  I blew that because I would have never plowed it! Deeper than  6" makes me want to try John's suggestion about the roller chain. 

tallen4392

i like the roller chain idea but worry about my asphalt driveway  ( the chain cutting into it or leaving grooves in it )

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Some folks like the 3 rib tires for front shoe shoes. I would expect the only good tire on ice would be a tire with studs, or the roller chain trick. 

• Like 1

Deadguy

I have had good results with Carlisle X Tracs.

C-85

Before I learned about the roller chain trick or considered rib type tires I put Carlisle Snow Hog tires on my rig.  I think these other snow tire solutions are as good or better than doing this, but this works pretty good in helping it to steer in snow.

C-85

IMG_0626_zpsb4e81887.jpg

• Like 2

tallen4392

Are those weights on the frt of your blade if so how do u raise it up 

C-85

tallen4392

Are those weights on the frt of your blade if so how do u raise it up?

Answer, nope if you look carefully these weights are independent of the blade and are on a weight carrier, held on by the front 'Tach a matic' point.

Here's picture of the carrier -

Dec%202011_152%20mod_zpsgkjqeuk0.jpg

Thanks for asking :)

C-85

• Like 2

tallen4392

Thanks so those are adding weight to the front of your tractor good for pushing snow ?? Thanks 

C-85

tallen4392 Thanks so those are adding weight to the front of your tractor good for pushing snow ?? Thanks 

Hi tallen4392, please forgive, I didn't provide all the info.  I have a large weight box on the back of this tractor and with just an 8hp engine it was light in the front end, so I added a lot of weight to front of this tractor to help this.  All this was to get better traction and steering.  After I put the rear weight box on for traction, it created a light front end, so all the front weights were to counteract the weights on the back.  This had nothing to do with the actual plow itself.

Hope this helps.

C-85

tallen4392

Thanks so much for your time this is my first year using a c-81 to push snow so I was just wondering  if it helped by adding the weight  

TDF5G
17 hours ago, C-85 said:

tallen4392

Are those weights on the frt of your blade if so how do u raise it up?

Answer, nope if you look carefully these weights are independent of the blade and are on a weight carrier, held on by the front 'Tach a matic' point.

Here's picture of the carrier -

Thanks for asking :)

C-85

How much do you have on the front?  And the rear?

Paul Van Benschoten
21 hours ago, C-85 said:

Before I learned about the roller chain trick or considered rib type tires I put Carlisle Snow Hog tires on my rig.  I think these other snow tire solutions are as good or better than doing this, but this works pretty good in helping it to steer in snow.

C-85

I use the same tires on the front for snow plowing. The front used to slide all over the place when the blade was angled. 

tallen4392

That is what I am trying to prevent this winter  no chains for the frt tires I have a fairly new asphalt driveway I know those chains would make a mess of it maybe tires  like you have filled  with washer fluid will be the way to go. Thanks again