Bertie

C121 pictures request

Bertie

Firstly my apologies to admin for posting a couple of topics in the wrong section which have been moved... I'm new and will try harder 👍

I have have a new to me C121 and need a close up of the PTO set up as mines been messed with over the years also any hood up general pics would be good that are standard so I can compair as I work better from pics.

thanks, Des

TDF5G

Here's a couple of pics of my B-80 I have on file.  Should be about the same.  Some of the springs are different on some models.

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 6

Bertie

Excellent pics thanks...  In the pic below I can see a spring that's missing, your clutch housing has a much cleaner face but mines not bee used for years... One issue I have is the welded nut at the bottom of the swinging rod housing which is obviously wrong and a quick fix by the previous owner.... I may need to find a replacement rod if anyone knows of one....

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Tuneup

It might be my inexperience, but it appears that there has been some adapting going on with that engine pan. Adapt to fit a big block on a small block cradle? Interesting and raised the engine, necessitating the need for the nut as the swing-arm is now higher.   or not :rolleyes:

• Like 5

TDF5G
15 hours ago, Tuneup said:

It might be my inexperience, but it appears that there has been some adapting going on with that engine pan. Adapt to fit a big block on a small block cradle? Interesting and raised the engine, necessitating the need for the nut as the swing-arm is now higher.   or not :rolleyes:

:text-yeahthat: I noticed this also.  Those PTO housing rods (the hoop) and little red clevis piece are not all the same part number, as I discovered the hard way.  But as far as I know this type of PTO all have the same basic design.

Edited by TDF5G

Bertie
16 hours ago, Tuneup said:

It's a one owner machine, I've spoken to him he assures me the engine has not been messed with and from what he remembers the swing arm broke many years ago so they adapted instead of replacing..... Do I belive it, I've no reason not to but if I can I will find a replacement and its true i will fix the issue.... Anyone recommend a supplier that will ship to the UK please shout up 👍

Edited by Bertie

Bertie
On 11 July 2017 at 0:57 AM, Tuneup said:

Took a bit of time to have a good look about the areas you describe today and I think your right its definatly lifted IMO, smaller issues like the pan is red the engine blue, a stretched throttle control cable giving an slow reduction of power as it slides backwards it's that tight and the outer cable melted as it rests against the engine etc..... All fixable when I rebuild its a good solid wheel horse but more importantly thanks for pointing me in this direction 👍👍

Texas Todd

My C-121 was mounted with that same anti-vibration mount. Replaced the engine with the regular big block pan and discarded the anti-vibration mount.  The smaller pan is required for the anti-vibration mount. 

Also had to find the plate that bolts to the frame to hold the bottom of the hoop. It bolts to the same spot as the attach-a-matic  (the two bolts into the frame below the hoop in your pic).

Someone took the oil pan off the bad engine and put it on the new engine so it would fit in that mount. The pan in the pic didn't come on that engine. I believe the green is a replacement engine (I have a green 16hp, purchased from a neighbor who had that new replacement engine since the early 80's and put it on my 312-8).

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

Bertie
1 hour ago, Texas Todd said:

Replaced the engine with the regular big block pan and discarded the anti-vibration mount.  The smaller pan is required for the anti-vibration mount. 

Great information thanks so I need to find a pan to replace the current and remove the AV mount. My engine is not a 16hp as it has 9 head bolts... no matter just need to check it's a 12hp..

Also had to find the plate that bolts to the frame to hold the bottom of the hoop. It bolts to the same spot as the attach-a-matic  (the two bolts into the frame below the hoo

Looks like I need the same set up although I'm not entirely sure what this looks like I'll see if I can search a pic out.

Hope that helps.

It most certainly does ... thanks

Texas Todd

Like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Horse-Tractor-Mower-B-80-PTO-Pivot-Base-Plate-Bracket-/201958502901?hash=item2f05aa31f5:g:FqUAAOSwx2dYJh8L

You can sort of make it out in this pic. This is on my C-121 after removing the pan and mount.

5966773cadd27_PivotBase.jpg.115cc470e6efc161c90542c0c2aa87cf.jpg

Bolts on top of attach-a-matic bracket

pivotbase.jpg.bcf1200284ebf057f6df26b6522f0c4a.jpg

• Like 2

Bertie

Thanks for the link... bought it 🖒

Is there any chance you could post a pic when you have time of your pan/cradle you fitted please 🖒

Texas Todd

I don't have it here. It may be a while. Its just the regular pan that hangs off one side. Bolts up from underneath. Be aware that not all Kohler oil pan's are drilled for the mounting from underneath. It is put back together like any horse without the anti-vibration contraption.

You can see the holes in the block hanging over the right edge of the frame. That's the side that is bolted up through the frame into the bottom of the pan.

• Like 1

Bertie
14 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

I don't have it here. It may be a while. Its just the regular pan that hangs off one side. Bolts up from underneath. Be aware that not all Kohler oil pan's are drilled for the mounting from underneath. It is put back together like any horse without the anti-vibration contraption.

You can see the holes in the block hanging over the right edge of the frame. That's the side that is bolted up through the frame into the bottom of the pan.

Thanks for this, like so may others you've been a great help... 🖒

Texas Todd

Just paying it forward, my friend! I have received boat loads of help here.

• Like 3

Texas Todd

Yes sir. I believe the 10-16's all used the same pan.

• Like 1

Bertie

Thanks pal.... 🖒🖒

Anglo Traction

Hello Des, I live on the same Rock as you (UK), I certainly agree with the Guys re the adapted Oil Pan on your replaced engine, which, going by the colour is from either a Generator, Compressor or Pump.

The Oil Pan you posted a link to is correct, but you might consider one that comes with the proper Oil Drain unit as well...like this-

-LINK-

I think I have a spare Lower PTO Hoop Bracket somewhere if you need it. Also Oil Pan Gasket and probably any Pan Bolts you may need.

Here's a Pic of what the Oil pan looks like and note the engine overhang on the Frame that Texas Todd mentioned above- 

DSC00765.jpg.0cec2a68773d0a0f9d0072a5fe5430b6.jpg

Also where the Oil Drain Unit(usually) goes-

596a442b845b9_OilDrain.jpg.dcf1fdfde0c06b02d6592f9decbc1b56.jpg 

Note that this is a 74 model, where yours is 78/79, but similar layout mechanically. Happy to help and if you need anything, drop me a PM.   

• Like 1