harryt

D200 3 point ball ends

harryt

Hello everyone, I have recently acquired a couple of D200s, a rare find over here in the U.K.. They both have 3 point linkage, however the swivel ball ends are seized solid, has anyone had any luck freeing these off or have you had to cut them off and get new ones to weld on? I have tried some heat and rust penetrating fluid.

Has anyone used an induction heater tool to try and do it?

Harry

Edited by harryt
  • Like 1

953 nut

First thing I would try (be sure the wife isn't home at the time) is to lay them on a pan and heat them up to about 400 F in an oven, take them outside and load the ends up with paraffin wax on all sides of the ball sockets. One at a time clamp them in a vice or to a solid object and move the balls as far as you can using a 5/8" rod a couple of feet long. I did this with a top link from a 3 point and it worked.   Don't tell the wife.   :scared-eek:

• Like 7

"D"- Man

I had a pair seized up with surface rust.  I lightly sanded around the exposed ball surface and oiled them, used a rod to try and work them until it moved slightly, sanded the exposed surface rust area on the ball and socket repeated untill it eventually was fully freed and oiled them.

• Like 5

KC9KAS

The wax trick is a good way to loosen up rusty/stuck pieces, but the penetrating oils work well too, and you won't have to explain to your wife what you were doing with the oven!

• Like 4

pacer

I used "D" mans method --- aggressively wire brushed them on the bench grinder, getting as much of the ball as possible clean, then applying plenty of (insert your favorite rust buster here!) and with a nice length of pipe, bar, tubing, etc and the arm in a good bench vise start working it. As soon as it breaks loose enough to make another trip to the wire wheel and clean that area off, pretty quickly it should start to free up (with a fair amount of elbow grease!)

All six of mine were really frozen, but this method got them freed up.

• Like 2

harryt

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I will be trying them out:thanks:

• Like 1

squonk

Be careful with the oven idea. You may end up cooking dinner from now on! :blink:

• Like 4

squonk

When I was in college, we had a bearing warming cabinet. We used to cook pizza in it!:)

• Like 2