Mikey the Monkey

Time to paint

Mikey the Monkey

Hay everyone. I'm in the middle of my first restoration on a 701. I've got it all tore apart. Now I want to paint it and put it back together. I was hoping to glean some tips and tricks from the experts, like best ways to clean and prep everything? Do you paint pieces separate and then put together, or  put them together then paint? Best way to clean oil and crap off engine that's been there for 40 years.  :occasion-snowman::auto-driving:

varosd

Mike,

There numerous old posts that you can search through on this website,. All the restoration  opinions on the best penetrating oil, rust removal, prep for paint and to final paint or powder coat etc etc

953 nut

:WRS:           There are a bunch of ways to get the job done. Jay did a great job of documenting every step and received a lot of input during his 854 restoration. Take a few minutes and read through it, use it as a reference during your project. Oh, one more thing,  :wwp:

• Like 1

JPWH

I had never done any body work before my 854 build. I did a lot of studying and followed the advice I was given here on RS. I will say the prep work is important for a good finish. I would paint pieces and give the paint a few days to harden before assembly.

• Like 1

varosd

like everyone has said, prep, pre, prep is the key!

also depends on the end result that you want.

do you want a show queen or a worker?

numbers matching or is NOM (not original motor)?

ok.  wait.... sorry... was thinking about our muscle car brethren

but it is the same.  " Oh, that washer is a hair thicker than what came from the factory"  ha ha!

spray bomb or automotive paint?

lots of info on this site and looks of help!

Mikey the Monkey

Thanks for pointing me in right direction. Is it OK to just clean off w diesel, carb cleaner and paint?

JPWH

The best thing would be follow the directions from whatever paint manufacturer you are using. 

953 nut
2 hours ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

clean off w diesel, carb cleaner and paint?

:no::no:           If you want a good smooth finish that will last you can't take shortcuts. If you just want it to have a so-so paint job that will look OK from a distance then yes, get most of the crud off and cover the rest.

• Like 1

Mikey the Monkey

OK...what's the long cut? :occasion-santa:

953 nut
7 minutes ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

OK...what's the long cut? :occasion-santa:

The proper way is to do as Jay did, remove all paint and other surface coatings down to bare metal, use an etching primer and build up with a couple of coats of primer then wet sand to a smooth finish prior to application of the color coat.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I find the best way to clean things up before painting, is to use ez off oven cleaner. Spray it down, wait the recomended time,  then haul it to the car wash and pressure wash it off. It will get all the grease off and sometimes a little paint. So, don't use it if your not gonna be painting it. I also will the tires cleaning setting at the car wash too. The two things combined will really get things clean. 

Randy

Mikey the Monkey

Thank you Randy:greetings-clappingyellow:

Digger 66
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

I find the best way to clean things up before painting, is to use ez off oven cleaner.

Randy

EZ Off is a great degreaser , but it is also very corrosive / caustic .

If you go this route , be sure to THOROUGHLY RINSE every single part this may come in contact with with the hottest water you can find .

I use EZ Off on the radiator of my wheeler every fall but it's out of the bike and after it has sat the recommended time it gets submerged and rinsed in the wash tubs .

The stuff works great but it's N A S T Y ! 

• Like 1

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

very corrosive / caustic

It is mainly Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda), use eye protection and a face shield as well as long rubber gloves. It will pull all of the oils out of your skin and make some nasty burns if you get it in your eyes. It works, but be cautious.

• Like 5

ebinmaine

:text-+1: for the EZ off methods - it sure does work well... and Good reminders about the Safety needed when handling the stuff.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Also, don't spray easy off on aluminum unless you're going to rinse it off almost immediately.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

if you don't have access to a sandblaster and want to remove all the rust and old paint down to bare metal  use an e-tank. (electrolysis tank)

google e-tank

Texas Todd

I have found a wire wheel on an angle grinder is effective. I use it for parts I can't get in my blaster cabinet.

• Like 1

Mikey the Monkey

thanks Todd and oliver! When sandblasting, is it nessesary to clean old oil and grease off really well with chemicals? Or just scrape off as best you can with putty knife and blast the snot out of it?:icecream:

• Like 1

Texas Todd

I would power wash or use simple green (some degreaser)  or something to get the worst of it off and then blast or wheel. The blast media will take it off, but if in a cabinet, it will just recycle it back through the gun. And go from this to that!

1056BeforeAfter.jpg.4f8647a6b841e4291bb9c18371bc48e8.jpg

Edited by Texas Todd
  • Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

wire wheel on an angle grinder

Be sure to wear a heavy old coat and a face shield, when those wires begin to come out the go everywhere.

Texas Todd
12 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Be sure to wear a heavy old coat and a face shield, when those wires begin to come out the go everywhere.

Amen to that! Had one jump out my hands and rolled up in my t shirt. Could have been brutal. Respect the grinder!!!

• Like 1

19richie66
11 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

Respect the grinder!!!

:bow-blue::bow-blue:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 7/9/2017 at 4:39 AM, Mikey the Monkey said:

paint it and put it back together

I found this Topic when I was looking for painting tips... just wondering how it's coming along?

Mikey the Monkey

I'm sorry and embarrassed to say it's still in pieces. Been working 7 days a week and doing yard work getting ready for winter. I did buy the HF sprayer though!:icecream:

• Like 1