Sign in to follow this  
Firebug

18 auto or d series

Firebug

I found and old tractor that has a belly mower and a tow behind mower. Plus it comes with another shell of a tractor with good hood, grille, frame fenders and floorboards. It's a price I can't pass up. Only issue is there's no marking on it at all. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between an 18 auto and a d series. Are the parts interchangeable since the 18 auto was rebadged in 74. Is the 3 point setup the same, is one model better than the other ( I know that will be personal preference) I have a d 160 and was thinking if the 3 point is the same put that all on mine, I'm just not sure what the difference between them is

pfrederi

They are pretty much identical and the belly deck and 3 point deck will interchange

• Like 1

Firebug

Would it be worth the time to put the 3 point on my 74 d 160 or get the 18 cleaned up and running and possibly sell the 160

pfrederi

Hard question....Is your D160 a Onan or Kohler...it could be either.  Parts for a K series 16 single are easy... Onans not so much.  The 18 has  a heavy duty Kohler but parts are drying up. How are the hydros which is stronger....

pacer

Yeah, they are virtually identical aside from the engines. The Kohler 16 is a truly fine engine and would be the choice of the 3, most all parts are availiable and its easy to work on, with the Onan being least desirable. The big twin Kohler is a really good engine but as Paul mentioned parts are getting really scarce, but if it is in good condition it would be my first choice. You'll just have to weigh all these factors out and try and make the right way to go - the Sundstrand Hydros needs to be in good condition

Firebug

I have the Koehler in my with good hydro. I also have the 15 inch rear wheels. I'm not sure what motor is in the other unit. It may be a 74 d200 for all I know. Or another d160. Not sure if the hydro is good, don't know if it runs. Just seems with the finish mower and 3 point setup with pto I can't go wrong, even if I rob the good stuff for mine and part it out, if it's decent I may just keep it and part ways with the 160

• Like 3

pfrederi

3 point and finish mower ( and I assume a Rear PTO for the mower) are easily worth 5-600

Firebug

Just wanted to update, I went and looked at it, it's a 74 d 200 with a 60 inch woods finish mower. Has the original belly mower and it came with a carcass for an 18 automatic. Tractor runs (or so he said, couldn't get it started when I looked at it) it needs a new hydro pump. I paid 400 for all it. 18 auto will be for sale shortly. I'm going to have the d200 restored then I'll probably sell my 74 d160 in good working order. If anyone has any good restoration tips or wants the 18 auto carcass to swap for a hydro pump let me know. My number is 330-760-1688. Bill