Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Charger 12 Resistor coil

Coadster32

My charger 12 came with a black external coil pack attached to the motor, and going to the plug. It also has a spark plug wire coming from under the cover, not hooked up. :thumbs: I was told that if I didn't have a resistor coil, I would probably burn out the points. I bought a coil from a 8hp Kohler off flea-bay for $10, kohler and red, and will try it tonight. I read in another thread that the resistor is actually in line before the coil. Is there a way I can check, or is this all non-sence?? :whistle:

TT

First of all, your 1972 Charger 12 is a 1968. It originally had a magneto ignition and the coil undoubtedly went bad, so it was switched over to 12V battery ignition. Most people who convert are looking to get the tractor running so it can be used, so the original coil remains intact under the flywheel and the old plug wire is left hanging there. (I usually cut them off until I get around to removing the flywheel to finish the job.

If it runs fine with the coil that's on it and the points aren't constantly burning, I'd leave it alone. The correct Kohler coil has an internal resistor, so you aren't going to see it.

I can't exactly remember what the ohms reading difference is between a resistor coil and a non-resistor coil. You can probably find that information with a simple Google search.

Coadster32

Wow, you're right about the year being off, looked it up by the numbers and it is listed from 1969. I assumed that the 72 in the model number was it. If I compare the two coils with an ohms meter, and they read the same, I'm just going to leave to coil I have on there alone, and just hang onto the other coil. How long would it take for the points to burn up? I probably have 10+ hourse seat time on it.

TT

looked it up by the numbers and it is listed from 1969

That's odd.... a '69 should have breakerless ignition. :thumbs:

Can you get the spec # off of the engine?

Points can last a long time under the right circumstances. I ran a 312A on a weekly basis for four or five years and never even had the points cover off!

Coadster32

Model k01

Spec 47460d

Serial 8048120

I looked up by the spec number and it listed both points and magneto. I couldn't find the d part of it. I am guessing that this means the time of year it was made?

TT

Spec # 47460 is for a "service engine" and the serial number dates it to 1977.

Near as I can tell, it was originally assembled with 12V battery ignition and a 15 amp stator.

Coadster32

A replacement. Anything is possible with it then. As long as it runs. It'd be easier to service it with the coil external, so I'll cut off the lead, as you do, going under the shrowd, to clean it up a bit. Just so I know, did you use partstree? I found a website for parts that I don't recall you guys listing in here. I bought a snowmobile clutch off these guys, (still waiting for it). They have good breakdowns and lists also. Check it out when you get a chance. http://www.psep.biz/index.htm

Thanks again TT. If I go in June, I'll be sure to shake your hand. :thumbs: