Bertie

Trailer

Bertie

What do you guys use to take your wheel horse to shows or move around, trailer, truck or other and what size trailer if you use one.... 

Des

Retired Wrencher

Bertie     :WRS:   Many use landscape type trailers because ease of use. I had a nice enclosed trailer for use and storage but these can be a bit pricey. Some just use ramps on there trucks. It is up to you and what you can afford.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I use a 14' landscape.   IMG_7742.JPG.42da3dc931979b2fc4896fc459f71b23.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 9

T-Mo
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I have been known to do both, I have a 13' ramp trailer. The one Cardinal Rule for loading is to back onto the ramp! If you are going forward and have a momentary loss of traction you can end up upside down. Also, if you are suing portable ramps be sure they are secured to the truck/trailer, if the mower deck hooks on a ramp it will get pushed off the tailgate and you will be on your side in a split second.

595f630820b1a_whatsinyourmerror008.JPG.ecc241fa06517cf61939fae2aaa0e729.JPG

My rule of thumb is opposite, drive them on forward, especially if the hoods are hinged in the front.  If not properly secured, a tractor that is backed onto a trailer or truck, can and will lose their hoods due to the wind drag blowing them up and off.  I've seen it happen, and in fact, I was behind a trailer that had that happen to.  If you do backed them on, secure the hood with a bungie cord or strap (just don't tightened them too tight to damage the hood).

If you do have a problem with them rearing up if driving them forward onto a trailer or truck, don't drive them on, but walk them on.  Put them in the lowest gear, throttle down, and just walk them on.  Much safer.

• Like 8

SPINJIM
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I use a 16" landscape.   IMG_7742.JPG.42da3dc931979b2fc4896fc459f71b23.JPG

Hi Ed,

What is the WIDTH of your trailer bed?   I'm considering a bigger trailer than my current 5' x 9', but I'm concerned about the fenders sticking out too far past the width of my van that I use for towing.   I'm between a 77" wide bed, and an 83" wide.   With the increased overall width, I might be taking out a few passing cars with the trailer fenders.

Jim

• Like 1

rmaynard

Jim,

The width of my 6 x 12 trailer is 96" outside of fender to fender. The maximum width of my Tacoma pickup is 84", outside rear-view mirror to mirror. I don't feel like I'm going to take out any cars, but there have been some mailboxes on the right side of the road that may have felt a bit like jumping back as I passed by. 

• Like 6

KC9KAS

18' car hauler when I am running around local or a 28' "toyhauler" when we are making a vacation out of it!

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
17 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

Hi Ed,

What is the WIDTH of your trailer bed?   I'm considering a bigger trailer than my current 5' x 9', but I'm concerned about the fenders sticking out too far past the width of my van that I use for towing.   I'm between a 77" wide bed, and an 83" wide.   With the increased overall width, I might be taking out a few passing cars with the trailer fenders.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The working width (inside of rails) is 66".   Max width ( outside of tires) is 84".    

Ed

BTW, the length of mine is 14 '  not 16" .:wacko:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

CasualObserver

I run a 77" W x 14' L utility trailer. Love it. Most in my area are 77x12... but I wanted the extra two feet to comfortably load attachments as well.

20160825_123813.jpg20160828_193031.jpg

• Like 7

Bertie

Thanks for the feedback and pictures guys also it's interesting to see how you guys load and tie them down.... 👍

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Here is an accessory I added to mine.

IMG_7812.JPG.2af6f7f398cca471036007d8a2b45737.JPG

Of course I use it to load and secure  tractors.

IMG_7814.JPG.6a8f953379b82b0566fe1a38c4e98286.JPG

But,   I really find it useful to pull the trailer to the truck hitch  when hooking up.

IMG_7813.JPG.0c788d61616ca32509532d26eea933f3.JPG

• Like 3

AMC RULES

For about $25 a day, your local U-Haul's motorcycle trailers are a great deal...

considering you don't have to buy it, register it, maintain it, or look at it sitting idle in your yard...

in between the couple times you may, or may not, actually use the thing every year. 

IMG_0283.JPG.1ac9b902fc2559ae3bb6d8c927e5b4a2.JPG

• Like 1

harryt

Hi Des, as you are in the U.K., the trailers here are generally not as wide as the ones in the U.S. If you are just planning to take one tractor to shows a single axle trailer will do fine. However as many of us know, this hobby grows and the collection grows in size, so therefore a larger trailer is needed if you are planning of collecting more. I have a 16ftx6.6ft Ifor Williams tilt bed trailer which is great and I can get around 5 tractors with attachments on.

Harry

• Like 2

Bertie
1 hour ago, harryt said:

Hi Des, as you are in the U.K., the trailers here are generally not as wide as the ones in the U.S. If you are just planning to take one tractor to shows a single axle trailer will do fine. However as many of us know, this hobby grows and the collection grows in size, so therefore a larger trailer is needed if you are planning of collecting more. I have a 16ftx6.6ft Ifor Williams tilt bed trailer which is great and I can get around 5 tractors with attachments on.

Harry

Harry, that's the problem I've seen another that needs bringing back to life and it's not far from me ...... Must resist...😂

• Like 1

neil

Des, I resently bought this trailer to carry my Wheelhorse tractors , sadly just big enough for one tractor  but is very handy as it's has the loading ramp at the rear that folds down, that's my Trojan on the back at the moment IMG_3777.JPG

• Like 7

Bertie

Nice find Neil.... but love the moggy that's towing it 🖒🖒

tunahead72

Will you guys please speak English?  What the heck's a moggy?  Google tells me it's a cat, I don't see no cat in that photo! :ychain:

• Like 2

Bertie
11 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Will you guys please speak English?  What the heck's a moggy?  Google tells me it's a cat, I don't see no cat in that photo! :ychain:

Just for you 😉

FB_IMG_1499637507593.jpg

• Like 3

tunahead72

Ah, a Morris Minor?  Well why didn't you say so? :thumbs:

• Like 2

T-Mo

I love the European cars, especially the smaller ones like the Morris Minor.  I like watching Wheeler Dealers until they open up the shop in California, and now since Edd is leaving the show, I doubt if I'll watch the newer ones, but will the older ones.  They did a couple of Minis and a Morris Minor Woody, or whatever it's called in the UK.  I would love to see the show get back to it's roots and with Edd China.

TDF5G

This a 1999 Sure-Trac, factory built trailer my brother and I purchased from a local Orscheln farm store.  I built the sides for it from pressure treated lumber.  It lives in my Dad's barn so it has stayed in good shape.

IMG_3037.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 4

Lane Ranger

I have a 5 x 8 all aluminum trailer  with built in ramp.    ATC ( Aluminum Trailer Co.  brand) .  Hauls easily and can mount quickly on hitch.   

021.JPG

020.JPG

019.JPG

022.JPG

022.JPG

018.JPG

112.JPG

• Like 4