Tgtack

What have you done on your WH today?

I've broken the frame in the 1277 3 times now - it needs a whole new rear plate and will hopefully get one done this summer and I'm wanting to restore it fully as the poor old thing just deserves it after all it's done for me . It's about like the old Sami - should be put on a pedestal in the front yard and bronzed....yeah - that bad of a hard service life .

It's a testament to how well the old K's were built to take being overheated and able to run again , albeit a bit smokey...lol . I'd be really surprised if the block isn't cracked but the small block engine just seemed to be the toughest animal built within the K line of engines - they have the history to prove it . Document it on here - show others what happens if you don't take the time to inspect those fins occasionally....it will help others .

Sarge

• Like 1

Man, it's too darn hot to work on these machines. I pulled that tranny apart on the bench in about an hour and I'm soaked. Normally, I don't care but, every day? Well, it's Georgia. The tranny is in pieces, has one bad big bearing, a bad input bearing, and the axles don't match. That's why that Alabama boy was already in there. Gears are...tolerable. Taking longer than I thought to get this running but almost there! One of these days, I'll take pictures.

• Like 1

Finished the Hydro Pump rebuild. Now onto the control valve and tractor reassembly.

IMG_1033.JPG.bd6d9a9ed1afb2f7460f8618217a7d1d.JPG

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Picked up a load of parts, look what followed me home!

20170715_105854-1.jpg

A 1077, don't know if it runs, also a frame, headstand, and transaxle for I think a 1968 8hp hydroststic, not sure of model yet, and another hydrostatic transaxle. 7 hour rd trip to Indiana. The 1077 is missing the rear fender pan, fuel tank, steering wheel, rear hubs, and rear wheels. Other than that, pretty much all there.

20170715_143650.jpg

20170715_143703.jpg

20170715_143710.jpg

16 minutes ago, Vinylguy said:

Decided to take the woodgrain look a step further.  The commandos dash top looks barren so I used the 78 c series upper dash decal template to kind of tie everything together.  Also made a steering cap decal. Put it on in the dark and got it a little off but I know where to get another. Lol. Brought it to the lake and will leave it here to work the lakefront for the rest of the season. Fits nicely under the fifth wheel camper. 

20170715_131453.jpg.1722c6755b4815f23b2f93f4f8842768.jpg

That looks too nice for yard duty!

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Got the C-141 running well enough to see if the transmission was strong and it spun the wheels nicely pushing against a tree. It smokes, leaks oil and everything else you could expect from a worn piston and oversize out of round bore. The transmission tunnel was packed with grass and dust and is now fairly clean.

The main mounts holding the shaker pan are disconnected and motor to be pulled for rebuild this fall or winter. I am still working on the patina of the sheet metal and am pleased so far.

EDIT;   Now that the motor is separated from the frame, with only  the seat switch wires to pull forward, I am considering swappingthe C-121 motor i have in this tractor to make it a worker.  The wiring harness is more complicated than the early tractors, and it would also be easy to do since my memory is fresh on the remove and install. The wiring harness might be plug and play between both tractors, but i will take a closer look before I start.

I took the c-121-8 apart to clean and paint it, so by trading the engine, i could take my time on both projects

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3

Having a hard time seeing the oil level so I Drilled holes in the dip sticks. Recently installed a foot pedel to control the hydro

• Like 5

Today started back on a project started in April but my wife had to have back surgery and the:wh: went to the bottom of the list.Cleaned the foot rests and side metal on the 310-8. Degreased the sides of the tractor , removed the brake hub( glad for a strap wrench). Removed the material from the brake band. Had to take a hack saw to material next to one bolt so I could keep it from spinning so I could remove the nut. Cleaned the brake band it is now soaking in de rusting compound so I can glue up @rmaynard 's brake material. Sprayed Purple Power degreaser over all parts of the under carriage I could get to . Then went to work on an 8 inch tire that was flat. When It when flat I got a little P.O. and left it outside. . Outside in the rain for a few weeks guess what happens lots of water in the tire. Removed tire and took rag of soak up water and the dried off rim. Will remove surface rust and coat inside of rim tomorrow. Ran errands for She who must be obeyed including a stop at box store for glue, rust neutralizer and a drop light with bulb. On the way to do errands stop by a neighbors who is moving and scored a Toro self propelled walk behind ( it's red , handle broken but it runs)   Tomorrow will be sanding day.

• Like 2

Good amount of work done on the 308!

As for me, took an old reliable Craftsman screwdriver I've had since 16 and with a hammer pounded out the axle bearings on the C-120's trans. Came out easily - Locked-up and flattened on one side indicating he ran it low on fluid for quite a while. Scratched my head at the 1533 on the right half. Settled on putting a good washer behind it and using the screw river again - remarkably came out. Too many good things happening in just a few minutes - have to call it quits before it all goes awry. Parts on order, as always.

• Like 3

I replaced a leaking hydro line on my C145. It is unbelievable how far I had to dig into her to replace it! The easy part of this job was replacing the fiberglass fenders with a metal one I found at the local junk yard.

20170718_124938.jpg

• Like 8

Day 2 of the 310-8 work did not go as good as I hoped. Sanded down rust on 2 side panels and started on one foot rest. It had the non slip surface on it it after a hour I got it all off. 45 minutes later got all the glue residue off. Sanded the foot rest and looked at the brake band and parts that I left soaking in the rust remover yesterday ( de Rusto or something that I picked up at auto parts store - pure junk) . Washed everything off and started soaking in Crud Cutter metal rust cleaner, started bubbling immediately . Of course the blue box store that starts with a L quit carrying it. Now I need to find out who sells it.  Cleaned the inside of the rim and calleit a day. Too hot and humid .

• Like 3

Don't dread the sanding. Just go to Harbor Freight, buy one of their cheap speed grinders and a 4" paint stripping wheel. I went through about 5 of them on mine. Strips it clean in no time and doesn't damage the metal. Light sand, clean and paint.

It seems all the good chemicals are long gone. Nothing works well anymore...

• Like 2

Pulled the engine on the c-141 and swapped it for the 12 HP in the C-121. It was easier to swap the dash control panel and i did find that in so doing that there is a dead leg on the c-141 switch. That explains a lot of kludge wiring fixes by the PO. When i took the engine out, it was time for a bath and I got the transmission tunnel and all areas of the frame and battery tray spotless.  [Piccs to come]

So i wanted a 14HP thumper, but i have a 12 HP and the engine swap was plug and play with a known good engine and correct wiring harness. i am really glad I took the time to swap engines just for the satisfaction of having an exact replica engine to look at when i tear down the 14 HP for a rebuild.

• Like 2

@neil Like the whitewall tires reminds me of car tires in the 1950's. Nice job on the tractor. @Tuneup My wife thinks HF is my second home , she saves me coupons from the newspaper so I can get my 20 % discount. Have used boatloads of their sandpaper and wire wheels.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, neil said:

Done a small amount of cosmetic today on my raider 10 , painted wheel rims red then painted some white wall tires ,changed the seat to steel one , put some LED lamps on the hood , 

The lamps are actually battery operated LED torches that are magnetic and can be positioned in any direction and placed anywhere on the tractor and then remove them at the end of the day .IMG_9691.JPG

pics of tractor before cosmetics 

IMG_9843.JPGIMG_9844.JPGIMG_9846.JPGIMG_9855.JPG

I love the buildings and the general setting you have created. It fits the personality of that Raider perfectly. Tell us more about them, please.

The last picture belongs on a calender

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Posted (edited)

Bump!

My! with all the posting on this list, this one got the the second page in about 3 days.

Our blessed parts supplier on this list, Lowell, had me set-up with bearings so Saturday was the day to button-up the trans. It's done and mounted so today gets fluid and I can finally ride this old C-120. If I think of it one day, I'll take pictures. It could be there is no C-120 and I'm just lounging with coffee and plenty of BS. :D

Edited by Tuneup
  • Like 4

I have been pretty busy with the new house,  and kids home from school. Don't forget the bride says we better be in before snow :lol:.

Anyway, it been so hot, I said it's about time to get the snowblade off the C-175 and find the slow leak in the front right tire. So that was my wheel horse break. 

OK, the blade is off and the tire still has a slow leak, something is better than nothing.

Glenn

• Like 2

Finally gathered and prepped all the parts for my NOS 48" deck shell rebuild. It will basically be new as all moving parts are new rather than rebuilt. Spindles and pulleys etc. the idler cover is just out of picture. 

IMG_1080.JPG.38d6fc930d59e22f8a693b338e939a13.JPG

• Like 8

On July 15, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Vinylguy said:

Decided to take the woodgrain look a step further.  The commandos dash top looks barren so I used the 78 c series upper dash decal template to kind of tie everything together.  Also made a steering cap decal. Put it on in the dark and got it a little off but I know where to get another. Lol. Brought it to the lake and will leave it here to work the lakefront for the rest of the season. Fits nicely under the fifth wheel camper. 

20170715_131444.jpg.e9d7de46b163be8dd95cc3f024738e9b.jpg20170715_131453.jpg.1722c6755b4815f23b2f93f4f8842768.jpg

Very nice terry

1 hour ago, Aldon said:

Finally gathered and prepped all the parts for my NOS 48" deck shell rebuild. It will basically be new as all moving parts are new rather than rebuilt. Spindles and pulleys etc. the idler cover is just out of picture. 

Wow, haven't even thought about doing a deck yet, looks really good!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Have not posted much on my 310-8 project recently as it has been too hot. Finished rust removal from foot rests and side panels. Put to coats of primer and they are baking in the shed. Cleaned up the brake cylinder and removed old brake material . Cleaned up the metal and found lots of holes. @JAinVA shipped me a complete brake band and @daveoman1966 directed me to a vendor that had new break band with pads for approximately $20.00 less than I could find. A big thanks to both guys. Decided to replace the seal on the brake shaft, just waiting for it to cool down some.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Saturday I went and picked up a tractor for my Granddaughter, this way next year she won't be bugging me to drive my 1276. It originally was a 551, but it has sort of lost it's way over the years. Currently has a K91 on it which will be fine for her. Eventually I will find either a H55 or H60 electric start for it. She likes it, and that's all that really matters. Biggest challenge now is finding a replacement hood and belt guard. Just put in a bid today on the missing K91 heat shields and rounding up the other pieces. I do have the correct brake pedal which came with it, was replaced with one from an RJ which will be coming off. All new Deestone tires all around, but wrong front rims.

Now the wife wants to know what she is going to drive!

00606_5RIEs0KoYzF_1200x900.jpg

00707_atsHBY3r2Zl_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_aBQI49ttbPj_1200x900 (1).jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

If your wife is as picky as mine and as forgiving of the hobby as mine then your likely looking at a 522xi...

power steering and luxury

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3