Searcher60

Engine balancing, k341

Searcher60

Anybody know of anyone who is a guru when it comes to balancing the crankshaft assembly's on K341 or M16's? Anybody know which of the 3 types of pistons originally came in a 1976 k341s? Thanks

Dakota8338

Well, Lets try this again.  I am not a guru, but according to the Chilton's Small Engine Repair Manual #8325, the Kholer K-series engines had all three typ pistons installed at the factory.  The style A, full skirt did not have a directional notch, whereas the style C & D shorter skirts did have directional notches.  My K321 in a 1978 C141 had the style A full skirt, because I kept the old pistons when I rebuilt the engine in the past.  I went and pulled it off the shelf in the shop a little earlier to check on it.  That may not answer you questions, but hopefully it helps a little.

Searcher60
8 hours ago, Dakota8338 said:

Well, Lets try this again.  I am not a guru, but according to the Chilton's Small Engine Repair Manual #8325, the Kholer K-series engines had all three typ pistons installed at the factory.  The style A, full skirt did not have a directional notch, whereas the style C & D shorter skirts did have directional notches.  My K321 in a 1978 C141 had the style A full skirt, because I kept the old pistons when I rebuilt the engine in the past.  I went and pulled it off the shelf in the shop a little earlier to check on it.  That may not answer you questions, but hopefully it helps a little.

Sorta of helps. The reason I am asking is because the new style piston assembly that I used in my C160 for the rebuild weighs about 2.3 oz. more than the style C assembly that I took out. The engine had already been bored .020 over when I bought it. I need to know what the weight/type of the original 1976 piston/rod assembly that the crankshaft was balanced for was, to attempt to get the new assembly down to the same weight so it will not buzz or vibrate at 3600. It is not smooth enough for my likes. Buzz in the steering wheel. Did they use a Style C in 1976, or, the old style A? One would need to know the design weight for the K341s crankshaft piston assembly due to the balance gears effect. I also doubt that the M16 crank has the same crankshaft counterweight as the K341 crank, due to the heavier new style Mahle piston and rod assembly used in the M series. It mite be easier for me to find a M16 crank that will match my new style piston/rod weight. My 312-8 is smooth as glass, I would like my C160 to be the same.  I would like to just trade both for a good 520 with low hours. Get tired of spending money. Nobody else would care about or notice the buzz. Kohler says the new style is approved for the K series.

i gotta say, Onan in my opinion was light years ahead of Kohler K and M series. Smooth running design, pressurized oil with filter, far less expensive parts.