Midwestfoodplot

Drive belt pulley sparking

Midwestfoodplot

I have a c160 and when I bought it the pulley coming off the parking brake (engage,disengage)  on the main drive belt was loose or disconnected. The tractor still was functioning fine without it. I noticed sparks flying off the right panel covering the drive belt. I tore it apart and noticed the pulley from the parking brake was riding too high and grinding on the cover. I reconnected the parking brake like it should be and put the cover back on. It's still grinding for some reason. Metal is straight,pulleys line up great, any ideas why this may have all of a sudden happened? I was thinking about adding a few washers to space the cover off the pulley. 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
  • can you post some pick`s to help?

Racinbob

I'm assuming you're talking about the idler pulley. All I can think of is your drive belt is too long allowing the pulley to move too far back and rub the guard. We really need more info and yes, pictures. :scratchead:

Sarge

I've had this issue with my '74 - turned out it was wear in the arm that the idler pulley works upon had allowed it to engage much higher than designed . Just had to weld the oval part of the hole shut , re-cut it correctly with a die grinder and reassemble it . This was a really common issue with the mid-late '60's hydro tractors as well in their linkage for the park brake/belt tensioner system .

Sarge

• Like 1

Midwestfoodplot

Late Reply here,

turns out the transaxle plate was cracked bad and had play in the bolts causing the misalignment and sparks..... I seen a guy on here made some brackets to stiffen the rear end/cracks without welding or removal of the trans.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

If they cracked the rear plate on a C-160, that tractor has been worked very hard or just plain abused. The rear plate was upgraded on '73 and later models versus the older versions - it should be properly welded first and then add in the bracing to prevent the issue from coming back. Due to the K341's torque, that frame can see a lot of stress.

Sarge