Big_Red_Fred

Rusted 416-8

Big_Red_Fred

0705171707.jpg.779303edd6a413e1497ecab7a572dab9.jpg0705171708.jpg.a0c206b11e91d48af8e5b0bfd26438fa.jpgHello, I'm still a Newbie , Big Red Fred here, i have a chance to buy a 416-8, very rusty, the Hi/Lo is stuck in Hi, i wrote about that before and still hesitant buying it, he wants 425.00 no deck, but i found a clean 310-8 with bad motor, is it possible to swap motor & front axle out with the 416-8 ? He wants 125 for 310, Is the frames different on 310 to 416 ? Or can i just rob parts off 310 to refurbish 416, are the rears the same too ? Or should i just buy a 416-8 in better shape ? To me it takes the fun out of taking a neglected Tractor & turning it into a Eye Catcher & Neck breaker, Wow did you see that Horse ! Thanks Guy's for any Help ! Big Red Fred

Edited by Big_Red_Fred
Wanted all to see what i should do
  • Like 1

WHX??
21 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

very rusty, the Hi/Lo is stuck in Hi,

Pictures are kinda fuzzy Fred but pretty much means the tranny has to come apart. No big deal for me but might be for others.  I would not go for it unless he came down....quite abit. Too much cash out lay upfront for a tractor you might plan to stick some coin in.  There are better deals out there waiting to be made... especially in your area. We do appreciate  your wanting to save a neglected tractor tho! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

My thoughts too, A RedSquare friend down the road has lots of 520's, wants me to wait

• Like 1

cleat

Talk your friend into selling you one of his 520's.

Love those.

Cleat

varosd

if you could get that 416 for $125..and get the 310 for $125 for the tranny and some of the sheet metal for the much sought after 16 Hp Kohler.

even with it being a Magnum instead of a K series.

Big_Red_Fred

I'm thinkn the same on the 416-8 single cylinder, i never seen any, its haunting me last 3 months

953 nut
On 7/5/2017 at 5:03 PM, Big_Red_Fred said:

the Hi/Lo is stuck in Hi

Unless you plan to hook a rototiller to it you will probably never need low range.  :twocents-02cents:     As long as the rest of the transaxle works properly I wouldn't be too scared of it only having high range; until 1967 that is all that any of them had. The wheel weights add some value, but I would use the Hi/Lo issue as a bargaining point to try for a lower price.

• Like 4

Big_Red_Fred

He was at 650, down to 425, thats a lot i think for a rusted horse, he wont budge, but ill call to see whats his lowest price, sum TLC, & 953 knows i have a Shop, a sand blaster, & i'm a wiz with my paint gun LOL, Look at them wheels ;-) 

Another Red Square Man in pa said the sheet metal from the 310 will fit the 416, i called him about the Transaxle, i dont think they were the same, but maybe the parts are ? I Tear down Cat C15 & Cummins ISX daily, so the parts maybe small, i have the work benches to do it, make a bracket to hold to table and lay a small bead of weld to hold fast, i'am a certified welder i forgot to mention LOL, Shhhhh Fred you will get all kinds of jobs now hahahah

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

I should have Never looked on Craigslist, Another 520H with a deck, original paint, 900, C125 for 200,  312, give him a price, & the list goes on LOL, No 953's tho ;-)  Thier all in North Carolina how bout it Ole Buddy

953 nut
55 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

No 953's tho ;-)  Thier all in North Carolina how bout it Ole Buddy

Not all! Seems like a few have gone to @dells68 @TravelinJavelin and @T-Mo have snagged some nice ones lately. I am about to go from an acquisition mode to a get off your keister and start restoring mode shortly. I have enough projects to keep me going for a few years.

• Like 4

TravelinJavelin

speaking of craigs list if willing to travel to rocky hill CT a very nice 953 is for sale

ericj

Fred, the trans will bolt in and are the same in all most every way except the axles on the 310 are 1" and the 416 are 1 1/8" and unless you are using it in a tractor pull or puling tree stumps with chains on you will probably never hurt the 1" rear axles ,

eric j

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

Hang me now, a C125 coming to my shop today ( Friday ) , wont run the man said, he wants 200, try to get it down, he's coming to me, must want it gone bad

• Like 1

T-Mo

I wouldn't be scare of a Kohler Magnum.  My 416-8 has over 3600 hours on the meter and still runs good and strong.

Big_Red_Fred

Well i did it, a Young Man showed up at my shop with a C125, i will start a new topic on the tractor, thanks for giving me advice today 953, wish i was at a tractor show instead of sweating the years off under a dump trailer ;-)  Oh i paid 200.00 for it, heres 1 pic0707171756.jpg.912f3a6c8742cfe60d009768bd3b811a.jpg

• Like 2