Bigred71

My 522xi Facebook Find

Bigred71

This is my $100 Facebook Marketplace find..

Needs deck welded in a few spot.. Nothing that can't be easily fixed..

It also shuts down on me.. Battery light comes on and off which I read is common.. The shutting down has me baffled.. Previous Owner said he couldn't keep it running, got flustered and told me,

"COME GET IT FOR $100"

Was a 6.5hr round trip but I believe well worth it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance 

20170704_125135.jpg

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Worth a hundred bucks all day long. Start trouble shooting, fuel lines, filters. Trial and error. Keep us posted and best of luck. Maybe a faulty kill switch under the seat to?

Also     :text-welcomeconfetti:      :wh:       :text-welcomeconfetti:

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 2

Bigred71

Thank you for the welcome.

Mower acts as if it is a fuel issue for sure

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
38 minutes ago, Bigred71 said:

Thank you for the welcome.

Mower acts as if it is a fuel issue for sure

BTW, what motor is in There? Under the seat take a picture of the serial/ model number decal and post it.

Glenn

slammer302

Looks great for 100$ I see your MO. If you get tired of it send me a message.

• Like 1

gregg'shorses

$100.00 for a 6 1/2 hr trip. I would have spent 1/2 of that on coffee and snacks.:happy-jumpeveryone:

Kurt-NEPA

Nice score or should I say nice steal.  The tires are worth $100.  The 5xi tractors are fantastic.  Well worth what it will cost to get it up and running.

Welcome to Red Square

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

That looks like a 52" deck, gotta be worth $300 to $400, the weights, tires, etc. Even if the engine were seized you could part it out and make a lot of money. :) 

• Like 1

Bigred71

I plan on keeping it for a long time.. Seems to be a fuel issue I will work out soon.. I always wanted a wheel horse!!!

Bigred71
13 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

BTW, what motor is in There? Under the seat take a picture of the serial/ model number decal and post it.

Glenn

22hp Kohler Command .. Will take a pic today.. It's a power steering/cruise control equipped 522xi as far as model goes.. It dont turn as sharp as my Kubota 4ws diesel but I like it better.. My first job was small engine repair so I have always liked the Wheel Horses.

7 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

That looks like a 52" deck, gotta be worth $300 to $400, the weights, tires, etc. Even if the engine were seized you could part it out and make a lot of money. :) 

The owner said it was a 54 but could be wrong.. May be a 52.. I know there ain't much room on my 60" wide trailer.. At least it fits so I can cut my moms 3 acres.. The JD 430 and Kubota I have each has a 60 so I was cutting her lawn with a 38 inch she has. Took awhile to say the least lol

• Like 2

953 nut
15 hours ago, Bigred71 said:

The shutting down has me baffled.

:WRS:             These newer :wh: have a lot of safety switches and relays that can generate intermittent problems which can mimic running out of gas. I would start there.

shallowwatersailor

The most frequent of the safety switches to go bad are the seat switches. It mimics fuel problems sometimes. Easy to check by running a jumper between the two wires. They get very temperamental before failing completely.

Bigred71
3 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

The most frequent of the safety switches to go bad are the seat switches. It mimics fuel problems sometimes. Easy to check by running a jumper between the two wires. They get very temperamental before failing completely.

The reason I say it's fuel, is that when it does it, I can choke it and it will try to keep it running

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Bigred71 said:

The reason I say it's fuel, is that when it does it, I can choke it and it will try to keep it running

Fuel it is then! The fuel cap has a vent and if it becomes plugged ti will cause a slight vacuum preventing the fuel pump from working properly. I am not sure about yours, but lots of the more modern engines have a solenoid in the carburetor that stops the fuel flow when the engine is turned off, if it or the wire feeding it has a problem that could explain it. Remove the fuel line from the carb. and crank the engine over to see if there is a strong flow of fuel, if not then work your way back.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
15 hours ago, Bigred71 said:

It dont turn as sharp as my Kubota 4ws diesel but I like it better..

Wow, I was impressed with the turn radius of the xi series, so Kubota must really turn a tight circle.

shallowwatersailor

I doubt that the fender has been off the tractor but there is a long vent hose that ends by hanging down below the screen on the frame in the rear. Still there? Usually if an engine starts to stall but still runs with the choke is an air leakage problem. 

Do you have a Kubota GR?

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1