jonw440

Idler pulley question

jonw440

I wrecked my new belt yesterday(must have had it threaded wrong) Picked up a new one today and tried the mower and it seems fine but...... I noticed the idler pulley has a serious groove worn in it where the belt runs.

Can these be flipped over so the worn groove is at the bottom and the belt would ride on a new area of the pulley?

Or should I just leave it as is. New pulley is around $65.00

Pulley1.jpg

pfrederi

What model deck are we looking at here.  This is not the common C 300, 400 500 series mower deck

groundhog47

I definetly would give a try ( turning over), run it up, very cautiously have some or yourself (while engager stays seated to shut down and keep interlocks engaged) observe while running and see if defaults to worn spot. If  it does and eats at belt get rid of it. Also it's a curiosity why so wide. Yo might find one at Tractor Supply if one is up there if do need one.

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

jonw440

Sorry, 1999 265H with a 38" 78216 side discharge.

rmaynard

There should not be that much wear from the back side of the belt unless the pulley is dragging and the belt's too loose. Having said that, it does look like the pulley might be able to be flipped. However, it also doesn't look like a $65.00 idler to me either. Check places like TSC or McMaster-Carr, eBay or Amazon for a less expensive replacement. All you need is the OD, height, and diameter of the shaft. A pulley like that shouldn't cost more than about $10.00.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

jonw440
36 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

There should not be that much wear from the back side of the belt unless the pulley is dragging and the belt's too loose. Having said that, it does look like the pulley might be able to be flipped. However, it also doesn't look like a $65.00 idler to me either. Check places like TSC or McMaster-Carr, eBay or Amazon for a less expensive replacement. All you need is the OD, height, and diameter of the shaft. A pulley like that shouldn't cost more than about $10.00.

Yea I routed the belt around something lastnight and destroyed the belt and thats when the pully got scored. The 65 was from toro parts. I could check TSC.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

This place has the idler pulley # 92-7082 for about $45...   AMAZON may also have that pulley...try them too.

http://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp?aribrand=TO#/Toro_Consumer/78216%2c_38"_Side_Discharge_Mower%2c_260_Series_Yard_Tractors%2c_1994_(SN_4900001-4999999)/CUTTING_UNIT_ASSEMBLY/78216-5492-1994/3316-730-6|~730002-0002

AMAZON IS $75....  just looked   

The link above is your best bet...about $45

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

jay bee

:text-yeahthat: I love Pat's Small Engine Plus!!!

Jim

daveoman1966

me too.  I've bought several things from that place, much cheaper than other sources....quick delivery too.

• Like 1

skrusins

I would turn it over or place some washers under the pulley so the belt can ride more it the middle.

jonw440

I removed the pulley and was going to turn it over but there is a long sholder on the bottom side. I then thought I could push the bearings and "shoulder" out and re install on the other side, but there are two rubber seals protecting the bearings. I just re installed the way it was tried it and so far so good. I mowed for about 10 minutes and all is good.