RayW

Help with 312-H mower

RayW

I have inherited a 312-H wheelhorse (model 51-12KE02) with a 42" side discharge mower (model 78345).  I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the mower off the tractor to install new blades.  I know I am missing something very simple and that makes it more aggravating.  I have read the owners manual and tried to follow the instructions multiple times with no luck.  It seems like it should come right off.   I have unhooked the attach-a-matic and removed the belt and also removed the pin that keeps the lift bar on.  It seems to be just hanging there but it won't move either direction. 

Thanks in advance for the help.  I have already received a great deal of info from this forum. 

Ray

daveoman1966

These shulw help.   Look at the section 'mower removal'.  

LEVEL (1).jpg

LEVEL (2).jpg

LEVEL (2)a.jpg

RayW

Thank you Dave.  These images are much better than what I have and I'll be sure to print them out.  No luck though, I get to the 3rd step where it says to slide the mower out the right side and it won't move.

lynnmor

Did the bar drop down out of the hitch?  Did you slide it off the lift bar pin?  Are you raising or holding up the lift bar?  There ain't nothing else.

daveoman1966
17 minutes ago, RayW said:

Thank you Dave.  These images are much better than what I have and I'll be sure to print them out.  No luck though, I get to the 3rd step where it says to slide the mower out the right side and it won't move.

Use the lift handle and raise the LIFT BAR (image 3) up out of the way.   Then slide the deck out the right side.  

• Like 2

RayW

Yeah, I agree there really isn't anything else.   It appears to be hanging just from the lift bar.  Maybe I am not using enough force to pull it off?

lynnmor

You should be able to yank it off the lift bar with not a big effort.  Try raising or lowering the cut height to make it easier.

chip61

Does yours have the threaded adjustment for lift lever height?? 

Never mind-I just re-read the title and realized it's a 312h so I'm guessing it has hydraulic lift.

Edited by chip61
error

RayW

Finally got it.  It was a combination of setting the deck height back to it's highest setting and I found out I wasn't getting the front hitch shaft flipped the whole way over and it was catching.  Thanks to all you guys for helping me out.

One more question. Are the blade nuts just standard nuts?  They aren't left hand thread or anything?  I have them soaking in SeaFoam Deep Creep right now, but they wouldn't move.

Thanks again.

Detector

Standard threads, a short length of 2x4 will come in handy to wedge between the blade & deck when loosening.

• Like 1

EricF

With the blade wedged with the piece of wood, an impact wrench will get them loose easily -- if you happen to have one and the correct size socket. If you don't have one, you can do the "poor man's impact wrench" trick by putting some counter-clockwise tension on the nut with a regular wrench, then thump the wrench a couple of times with a rubber mallet, driving it counter-clockwise. Do that a few times and the nut will budge, then loosen so you can take it off.

A little anti=seize on the threads will help when you pit the blades back on. Use the wood block again to wedge the blades when you tighten the nuts. There's no torque spec for them -- just tighten them down. When you mow, the spin will make them tighten down even more -- which is why they're always on so darn tight when you go to take them off again! :lol: