Docwheelhorse

Dont change oil (???!!!!!???) Read on

Docwheelhorse

This subject has been covered before and it may of even been me bringing up. But check this out... maybe its ok but it makes me cringe. Im a Briggs fan and a Sears fan and this is what they come up with to push sales? Sigggggghhhhhh

20170704_090631.jpg

20170703_204236.jpg

20170703_204254.jpg

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Sure, kinda guarantees you'll be back...don't you think? 

• Like 6

Shynon

Must be an oil burner, thus just add fresh oil. Maybe I could sell a few oil burners as new technology add oil only:ychain:

• Like 6

slammer302

I work on push mowers for a few people around town and i've started noticing push mowers don't have drain plugs anymore guess that explains it. 

• Like 1

Terry M

I think my neighbor invented that system for mower maintenance...:o

• Like 8

N3PUY

My Father-in-law's thinking was always "don't change the oil .... just change the engine!".

Well....  synthetic oil is good for 10,000 miles before oil change. 

Do you think a push mower will ever reach the 10,000 mi mark?

Docwheelhorse
49 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

My Father-in-law's thinking was always "don't change the oil .... just change the engine!".

Well....  synthetic oil is good for 10,000 miles before oil change. 

Do you think a push mower will ever reach the 10,000 mi mark?

Well.... at 3600 rpm my truck is going ~110 mph. 10,000 divided by 110 equals ~90 hours. Average guy uses push mower 2 hrs a week and maybe 16 weeks a year so IF the mower has synthetic your looking at a 3 yr change interval. Now factor in that mower runs hot, works hard, has small oil capacity and maybe changing oil every 2 years is ok again IF its synthetic. Pour in regular dino oil and im back to thinking once a year for ~$5 isnt a bad deal. Or maybe im all wrong in my thinking and should run mower for 5 yrs and toss in dump. 😕

• Like 5

slammer302

They should just say the mower won't last till the first oil change. So don't worry about it. Lol

• Like 8

Digger 66

The problem isn't that they're on the market , the problem is people are buying them ass-smiley-emoticon_zpsz6eglifg.gif

• Like 7

slammer302
Just now, Digger 66 said:

The problem isn't that they're on the market , the problem is people are buying them ass-smiley-emoticon_zpsz6eglifg.gif

So true.

wallfish

Thanks for the laugh! The replies are great!

• Like 2

rmaynard

If this stuff can last a year in a car, it ought to last a lifetime in a mower. Maybe this is what they are using. 

mb1.png.763d975ee9c5a4fd100db67246c6cb99.png

Having said that, I don't care what they say, I'm changing my oil in my Tacoma every 7500 miles like the manufacturer tells me. And I wouldn't worry about a Craftsman mower not making it to the end of their warranty, Sears isn't going to make it that long themselves.

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

You can't believe everything you read. I change the oil in all  the small engine twice a year unless they have been worked heard then it is 3 or 4 times a year. That's why my 30 and 40 year old :wh: keep plugs along. My auto's are changed every 3000 miles . The El Camino oil is changed every annual state inspection last year the oil only had 257 miles on it. 

• Like 1

squonk
5 hours ago, Shynon said:

Must be an oil burner, thus just add fresh oil. Maybe I could sell a few oil burners as new technology add oil only:ychain:

I had a 73 Vega like that. A qt of Quaker City @ .48 cents every100 miles! 

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON
11 minutes ago, squonk said:

I bought a new 1973 Vega station wagon and started burning oil at 15000 miles. Three years  and 63000 miles engine  was shot. The door outer skin would flap going down the road from all the rust. I didn't have it payed for before I parked it. I bought  a monty carlo only to retail it .i have never bought another chevy to this day. I will never let my car or  truck go for more then 5000 miles. or lawn tractors and mowers  go for more then a year. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

When designed to last only a couple of seasons, why would any throw away mower manufacturer NOT market the stupidity of it as a "plus"? People think that way now so the marketers are simply selling them on the concept that their throw away mentality is actually a selling point of the mower they are about to buy.

Sad...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

Digger 66

I'd like to know how this fits in with the whole "green-planet" thingy ?

Washington watches EVERYTHING .

Did our fearless leaders miss this :flags-waveusa:

WNYPCRepair

I figured it burned it so fast you didn't have to worry about changing it, since it is mostly new oil from all the topping off. :)

Achto
6 hours ago, squonk said:

5 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I bought a new 1973 Vega station wagon and started burning oil at 15000 miles. Three years  and 63000 miles engine  was shot. The door outer skin would flap going down the road from all the rust. I didn't have it payed for before I parked it. I bought  a monty carlo only to retail it .i have never bought another chevy to this day.

Most US vehicles of the mid 70's - mid 80's were not built to achieve high mileage. Either they rusted out or the engine gave up around 100k. The Vega was probably one of the worst vehicles designed in the US. Aluminum block with a cast iron head, Ya, that was a great idea.:wacko:. You must of really took care of yours Bob, most didn't make it to 50,000. The Cosworth Vega was improved but still not a long life engine. With Chevy using the same bell housing for every engine, the Vega was a fun & easy car to drop a V8 in and have a high power light weight car. :auto-layrubber: I had a 327 in my 72 Vega hatchback with a 3 speed standard trans. It was quick & fun to drive until the body/chassis finally rusted beyond safe operation.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4

6bg6ga

You need to remember one thing about the older engines. They were carbs and no computers which meant they generally operated with an air / fuel ratio that wasn't optimum. This means more cylinder and ring wear.

I actually knew of several Vegas that hit 100K without any problems. The owners changed oil every 3K miles. Maybe they just got lucky or maybe changing the oil contributed to longer engine life in them. Can't say I'm sold on the 6K engine oild changes GM and Fords seem to go with but so far no oil burning that I have seen.

Tim.0

I change oil 3000 to 5000 in vehicles, guess im old fashioned. small engines I change as needed in hours or once a year. tractors I change once a year usually ( engine oil) I don't get enough hours on them to change the oil in summer.  Oil , spark plugs , and air cleaners have to be about the cheapest basic maintenance there is and most important I figure.

Ken B

Never change the oil? Right. Lawn mowers are operated in one of the dirtiest and dustiest environments one can think of. Dirt and crap always getting kicked up. That is why you are supposed to change your oil more often when used under extreme conditions. Besides, No oil filter = you better change your oil more often. I don't care what kind of oil you put in it... In my opinion this is a last gasp from Sears before the final nail is put in the coffin.

• Like 1

Digger 66

Soon there will be a app for mowing lawns.......... :techie-eureka: