dbrockway

310-8 mower deck bounce

dbrockway

So I just purchased a 1989 310-8. The guy I bought it from hands me a cotter pin, says it goes on the deck somewhere but not sure where. Any way the deck really bounces when running in 3rd gear. My yard is rough but I haven't had this issue with other mowers I've owned. Any ideas why and where might the pin go

slammer302

It may go on the adjustment rod in the back of the deck in the center. Does the front of the deck ride on the ground or is it up 3/8" or so?

Edited by slammer302

EricF

:text-welcomeconfetti: to Red Square!!

If it's a fairly big cotter pin, and not a hairpin clip, it probably goes to one of the front anti-scalp roller mounts.

Hairpin clips are usually used on the adjustment trunnion in the back, or on the lift arm pin (along with a big washer).

The wheel Horse deck is a type of floating design. The rear gauge wheels support its weight and ride firmly on the ground. The anti-scalp rollers don't normally contact the ground; they're designed to only touch high spots and move the deck up and away from them. Because of how it's supported, it can bounce if your yard is really, really rough. If it doesn't bounce around at a slower speed, you've found the limit of how fast you can go and get a smooth cut.

Unless your lawn has a serious case of holes, roughness is usually caused by grass that's too sparse. Grass builds up turf, weeds and bare ground have none, so your deck may be rolling over clumpy turf. Smaller, lighter-weight floating decks are a little more prone to bouncing than bigger, heavier ones. I have a bad, patchy lawn that I'm slowly rehabilitating. My previous tractor was a Bolens suburban before I switched to a Wheel Horse 520H. Both tractors use floating decks with the weight supported on rear gauge wheels. The Bolens deck weighed less and bounced more. The 48" deck under the 520H is very heavy and stays put on the ground better. However, the smaller Wheel Horse decks do weigh a little less (your back may appreciate that when it comes time to remove the deck...) so they may bounce more on rough, patchy lawns too.

Box-store "lawn tractors" as well as some John Deere higher-end lawn and garden tractors use "suspended" deck designs. The tractor and lift mechanism supports the deck's weight, and the gauge wheels shouldn't fully contact the ground. (They're usually set about an inch above the ground on a level surface so they act more as anti-scalp rollers) Those kind of decks are more forgiving on rough, patchy grass, but their cut isn't quite as nice once the lawn fills in evenly because they won't follow the contour of the ground as well.

Make sure your deck is leveled front-to back according to the manual for it (which you can find here in the manuals section here on Red Square!). When properly set up, it's actually not "level" -- the front of the blades should be about 1/8" lower than the back when they're turned straight fore-and-aft. The trunnion in the middle at the back of the deck adjusts the angle. When the angle is set correctly, you'll get the best cut and the lift linkage will have the proper leverage acting on the floating action of the deck; it might help minimize the bouncing a little bit.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Almost certainty it from the lift rod adjustment trunnion at the back. The cotter pins on the anti-scalp wheels really don't do a thing because the rod holding them in place are held with a bolt. I don't even have pins in mine. Besides, if one was missing it would be obvious. If the rear adjustment rod is disengaged the deck will ride on the ground and could bounce like you're saying but it also wouldn't life up properly. Check out this parts list

I don't know what deck you have though.:)

If it lifts up properly and all the wheels are there it's a speed thing. :auto-layrubber:

ericj
9 hours ago, dbrockway said:

So I just purchased a 1989 310-8. The guy I bought it from hands me a cotter pin, says it goes on the deck somewhere but not sure where. Any way the deck really bounces when running in 3rd gear. My yard is rough but I haven't had this issue with other mowers I've owned. Any ideas why and where might the pin go

3 rd gear is too fast for mowing most times and with a rough yard it will bounce. the lower part of my yard is a little rough and I can see when I go to fast when I come back the other way. Moat times don't even realize I went to fast till I see the bounce in the cut, I use A hydro so it is easier to go too fast with out realizing how fast you are going

One other thing if you run too fast with a deck on over rough ground too much you can break the tractor frame from the weight of the deck bouncing, depending on the size of the deck and the weight of the deck.

eric j   

• Like 2

dbrockway

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Will let.you know if I figure out the pin placement. It does lift fine.