Texas Todd

520xi Purchase

Texas Todd

Well I really like all the old classics, but kept reading about the newer models. An old friend of mine popped up with one with 600 hours so we made a deal.

I like the heft of the machine. I like the 52" deck and the cruise control. It mowed my 1.5 acres much faster than my 316-8 with 48" deck.

First thing I did was change the fluids and sharpen the blades.  It cuts nice.

Questions:

The deck is quite loud. Is that normal or do perhaps I have a spindle in need of a bearing?

After mowing for about 45 minutes I disengaged the pto. When I went to re-engage the pto it would not spin the belt.  Waited about 10 minutes and it kicked into spin mode. (spindle bearing?)

Gas gauge doesn't work. Is their a sending unit in the tank? Easy to replace or not worth the effort?

Reverse Warning Light is always on.

Gas tank is almost double the size of the classics. Does the 20hp twin burn twice the fuel?

Front plastic piece is gone. Which from what I see is quite common. Anyone found a suitable replacement or just live with it?

With only an hour of seat time, I'm not sure I am sold on it, but will give it a few more chances before sending it down the road.

Thanks for any input.

5959737482943_520xipurchased.jpg.ab6dc9aa586e4bc9a71670b281e96046.jpg

• Like 5

19richie66

If you decide to send it on its way, send it this way👍. Nice machine!

• Like 3

slammer302

Nice horse! I have a 520xi too and had a 522xi with the 52" deck and the wheel horse that I mow with at work for the city has 52" deck and I noticed that the 52" decks seem louder than sum 48" & 42's I've used maybe it's just how they are or the ones I've used are worn out.:think:

EricF

Sounds like something was binding, and if it did it after running then it's possible a bearing somewhere overheated and expanded a little, making it too tight. Spindle bearings are one suspect, but any of the pulleys in the drive path could do it. Check the mule drive as well. Stiff/tight bearings will give themselves away by being hot to the touch. (Be careful checking by feel -- They can get very hot!!) Bearings running hot will eventually go out in a puff of smoke and bearing/seal bits, and may take the drive belt out with them, so it's better to find them early. With the drive belt tension released, try turning each pulley by hand, and feel for binding and/or wobble and excessive runout.

@slammer302, I agree, some decks just seem to be louder by nature. My :wh: 48" deck is one of the quietest I've ever had. Noisiest has to be the 42" deck under my old Bolens. Somewhere in the middle was the deck under the JD 110 I grew up with.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
15 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

Questions:

The deck is quite loud. Is that normal or do perhaps I have a spindle in need of a bearing?

After mowing for about 45 minutes I disengaged the pto. When I went to re-engage the pto it would not spin the belt.  Waited about 10 minutes and it kicked into spin mode. (spindle bearing?)

Gas gauge doesn't work. Is their a sending unit in the tank? Easy to replace or not worth the effort?

Gas tank is almost double the size of the classics. Does the 20hp twin burn twice the fuel?

Front plastic piece is gone. Which from what I see is quite common. Anyone found a suitable replacement or just live with it?

The deflector does lessen the noise somewhat, but I use muffs all the time now due to the tinnitus from not wearing them.

Do you mean that the PTO would not re-engage? Sounds like a wiring issue. Check the contacts/connections and the fuse block as well.

Gas gauge could be wiring as well.

Depends on the year tractor. Does yours have the key switch in the seat frame?

Its a big twin so uses more gas than a single.

Previous owners seem to have a penchant for running into things. All three of mine have been cracked.

Looks like a decent tractor, especially for 1-1/2 acres.

• Like 2

slammer302

I would recommend take the deck off and remove the belt and spin the spindles individually this will help determine which is bad if any also check idler pulley. PTO Problem. Is the battery good? This if not the clutch will not work as it should? I would also take it off and inspect it make sure bearings are good and make sure it's not burt up. I did all these things to my xi and help me determine my problems.

I added a push bar to the front of my bumper.

IMG_20170618_172742269_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Texas Todd

Thanks for the tips. @slammer302 I ordered that decal package. Should be here any day now. I like your bumper idea. May try to do something similar.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Toro still offers the front valance but it's $95 + from Partstree.com, and I have a refurbished like new sleeve hitch and extra mule drive available for the Xi's if you (or anyone else is interested give me a PM ) as all I have in the :wh: line now are 2 520H classics, Jeff.

IMAG2675.jpg

IMAG3071.jpg

Texas Todd

Before tearing into the deck to inspect the mule drive and spindles I was looking for the Product List for the deck. Searching model 78370 (the deck model) nothing turned up in manuals except for a grass blowout update.

Does anyone have the specs for the deck bearings and mule drive? Thanks and Happy 4th!

WNYPCRepair
On 7/3/2017 at 9:45 AM, shallowwatersailor said:

The deflector does lessen the noise somewhat, but I use muffs all the time now due to the tinnitus from not wearing them.

Do you mean that the PTO would not re-engage? Sounds like a wiring issue. Check the contacts/connections and the fuse block as well.

Gas gauge could be wiring as well.

Depends on the year tractor. Does yours have the key switch in the seat frame?

Its a big twin so uses more gas than a single.

Previous owners seem to have a penchant for running into things. All three of mine have been cracked.

Looks like a decent tractor, especially for 1-1/2 acres.

Do you hear the PTO click, and it just doesn't turn, or is it not even clicking on?

I bet someone rigged the reverse safety switch. The light is normally on after you turn the override key. If you can mow in reverse without doing anything first, then the override is on. 

Yeah, the bumper cover doesn't seem to last long. The headlight lenses seem to be an issue as well. :)

Texas Todd

I could hear it engage and the spindles start to go, maybe an 1/8 inch and binded. Took the deck off and got one spindle torn down. Ordered new bearings. Will see what that does. Found the part # on partstree.

Cold, nothing seemed tight or sloppy. Hopefully the bearings will fix it up. They felt a little grainy spinning them, the two outside ones anyway. One did wobble just a hair. Probably aggravated when hot and spinning at full speed. 

Will see next week when parts arrive. 

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Replaced all 6 bearings and "WoW" what a difference. Quiet as a church mouse! Mowed about 3/4 acre and then shredded the PTO belt.  I may have had the guide in the wrong position. I read on here that removing the guide is one way to ensure it doesn't get in the way. Has anyone done this? If not a good idea, how should it be positioned? I bet @squonk knows the answer.  I had it going more toward 12 o'clock in the picture but when the belt shredded it ended up in this position. I may have had the mule drive to tight, not sure.

59616a7989376_PTOBeltguide.jpg.188f8853517dc180bc235457e76910d8.jpg

Ordered a B94 belt for 8 bucks on Vbeltsforless on the advice of another thread on this site. The OEM 95-4094 is $50 smackers....

Very pleased with the huge noise reduction and smooth action with new bearings. $50 for 6 bearings to my door from USA Bearings and Belts "Toro Wheel Horse 251-257 113514"

Did learn that its just as easy to change the bearings leaving the housing attached to the deck.  First came off with no problem. Second had one bolt I had to cut off (PITA). Left the third one on and removed the blade and pulley, popped out the bearings and spacer and reinstalled, E-Z Peazy..

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
On 7/2/2017 at 6:31 PM, Texas Todd said:

Questions:

With only an hour of seat time, I'm not sure I am sold on it, but will give it a few more chances before sending it down the road.

Thanks for any input.

Gas Gauge:

- Yes there is a sender that is pretty easy to get to if you remove the fender. I would recommend you do this and tighten all the transmission mounting bolts (even some very hard to reach) as well as clean all the crud from the hydro fins. 

Reverse Warning Light, Gas Gauge, PTO:

-all may be wiring issues (specifically connectors or safety switches). Download the manuals and look for the connectors. I would recommend pulling all the connections, cleaning with contact spray and a brush and putting dielectric grease on and reassembling. I solved a few problems this way. 

Gas:

Uses more than the singles, but less than the Onan!

It took getting used to, but I absolutely love my 522xi. Best tractor to mow with of all the horses. If only I could find a decent mower deck I would be set.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

Gas Gauge:

- Yes there is a sender that is pretty easy to get to if you remove the fender. I would recommend you do this and tighten all the transmission mounting bolts (even some very hard to reach) as well as clean all the crud from the hydro fins. 

Gas:

Uses more than the singles, but less than the Onan!

It took getting used to, but I absolutely love my 522xi. 

:text-+1:the 520xi I bought last fall that came with the 60" deck had every transaxle to frame bolt nearly falling out, and fuel usage was less than my Onans , and for me I really couldn't get used to the foot control vs the hand but everyone is different, so I let it go and kept my classics, Jeff.

Texas Todd

Good tips. Thanks guys! :handgestures-fingerscrossed: